Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 11:51 am

Using the literal definition I do not. However, I get along with hundreds of people although I've used the term acquaintances. People would be stunned to know I don't have any friends just as a group of female coworkers don't me they can't understand how I could possibly be single. Of course when a woman hears you have no close friends they are instantly turned off, never considering that THEY might have been the problem not me and I broke off contact with them not the other way around.

I go to sporting events alone but I do meet up with and talk to a large number of people while I'm there. I know a relative who thought I was anti-social was speechless when a large group of people at a baseball game all knew me by name. I just can't keep a close friendship going because I'm poor at starting conversation and get so absorbed in my special interests not because I'm a serial killer in disguise.

Dizzee
Toucan
Toucan

15 Aug 2012, 12:03 pm

NO, I don't really like how people treat each other in real life, they just look too judgemental to me.

CWA
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 12:05 pm

No one aside from my husband. Even then we don't talk all that much really. I'm more or less settled with it, it is what it is. I'm 34. I doubt anything is going to change for me.

I have acquaintences through work. No real friends though. I still haven't pinpointed what I'm doing wrong, but I suspect it is thus: I am female. However, not girly enough or interested in girl things so don't fit in with girls. Add in the social ahwardness and strange interests and women basically run for the hills. I get along better with guys, however I am not a guy. As a result of everyone being married, it limits the friendship potential there. Spouses get jealous even if there is nothing to be jealous of. Even then, guys still feel inhibited around me, worried about saying something gross or that might make a woman mad or something.

Even with our new neighbors, I was over at their house with my daughters. My 5yo wanted to go over to play, I went with her because of her AS. I didn't want her melting down in the neighbors house. I got to talking to the mother, same age as me. And I could tell at somepoint I'd already done or said something that turned her off. Not sure exactly what. I know I showed too much interest in their legos (they had a lot of sets all around on display) and that might have been it. Not sure.

Like I said it is what it is.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 1:12 pm

I have a few friends but I rarely hang out with them, not because they dont want me to but because I dont want to. Its not like I dont like them I just prefer being alone most of the time, also they bore me a lot of the time as they dont want to do anything anymore. nowadays everyone just wants to sit on the couch and smoke weed while watching tv. which is fine but I get bored of it fast as tv is all reruns for the most part.

GreenShadow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Aug 2012, 1:39 pm

Who has no friends in real life?

Me

I had friends long time ago (during studies), but they moved to other countries, other parts of my country, got married or (even worse) have children - so I don't have friends

but it didn't bother me even a bit
I want to be as far from people as possible

Adam_Raki
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Aug 2012, 2:03 pm

Hi everybody!

I haven't had any "real" friends for about six years, six years of loneliness.
And to be honest, I wonder if I ever had any friend...

Take care!

keira
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 2:32 pm

I seem to go through times when I have no friends at all. And then there are times when I happen to have a lot of acquaintances in my life. It takes a lot for me to start thinking of someone as a real friend. I think that now I have one real friend and one wannabe friend. I don't know how long it will last though.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 3:25 pm

Currently, I do not have any friends. I have recently avoided interaction with the two acquaintances I have. I know that's somewaht mean, but I have felt a need to spend my spare time on my own. I don't know that it's going to change any time soon. I feel as though I'm more comfortable walking the road of life on my own. Recently, I have found social interactions, even with nice people, to be very tiring.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 3:39 pm

None offline or online.

CrystalStars
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 4:13 pm

Only online friends. I wouldn't wish to have real-life friends for various reasons. That being said, I'm actually very content with my online friends - more-so than when I did have them in real life.

AJ89
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Aug 2012, 5:13 pm

I have no friends whatsoever and never had a real friend.

Mmuffinn
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Aug 2012, 5:27 pm

I have my parents when they're around, although at 28 I don't spend much time with them. I kind of have my fiance, but at this point we don't seem to be friends, we don't talk or share interests or spend any more time than necessary together. I occasionally talk to my cousin on the phone when she is stressed out because I am a "good listener" because I never know what to say. Not much of anything reciprocal, though, other than perhaps with my parents. I don't really have any online friends, I post on here sometimes but I don't talk to anyone via email or chat. I had a case manager that served as an occasional "friend" for a couple of years, but I was discharged a couple of months ago. I don't mind it most of the time. I don't tend to have enough interest in other people to seek/maintain friendships.

ghoti
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 7:34 pm

Have some on-line acquaintances, but no real friends.

Canaspie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 7:42 pm

I never did have friends at all during childhood (except for maybe one, but I think that only existed because he was friends with my brother), but, thanks to running into some great people, that has finally changed in university. I would only say I'm close to a couple of them, but I have managed to develop a number of friendships now.

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 11:17 pm

I've gone through times with no friends, and it doesn't bother me too much. Sometimes I get tired of doing things -- movies, eating out -- alone, but for the most part...eh. The part that DOES bother me is when I THINK someone is my friend because we may speak often or have a lot in common. But they never make any attempt to seek me out or invite me to join them for any event. Makes me feel like I've been pushing myself on them. And then I start wondering whether they were ever my friend after all. I can't say right now that I have anyone who I would really open myself up to, but there are a couple of people who might be in the running. Like most of you, my closest friends are my online friends -- several of whom have hung in there for me when my in-person friends couldn't be bothered.

ThomasL
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Aug 2012, 11:33 pm

Some really interesting replies here.

I've only had a few "friends" in my entire life, and I'm pretty sure they were not real friends. Friends don't reject/betray/abandon you, do they? If that's friendship, I want no part of it. That hurts WAY too much.

Most of my life I've had no one, or else one "close friend", but again, probably not what normal people would consider friends... maybe more like "frenemies"?

But I'm not at peace with the idea that I'll be all alone for the rest of my life... even though that's looking increasingly probable. I'm not happy about that at all.