Trouble translating thoughts into words

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 5:20 pm

Rocker_C wrote:
I havent heard of this before, I guess it would be more tailored towards young kids, early diagnosis is a real blessing for AS. Then they get the help they need before its almost "too late".

I also have the same issues in every aspect of my life, even when talking/ trying to relay information about something I know off by heart kind of thing. It's pretty frustrating at times, and Im worried its going to affect work I do at University.

I'm sure these services are available for adults. There are always people who are missed, there are also speech problems later in life caused by brain injurys, strokes, and so on.

It can't hurt to ask.

Jason.

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 5:30 pm

Hi, Rocker C:

I just studied some interesting material on this topic - maybe you would like to google wikipedia: Image Schema. You would probably enjoy Metaphors We Live By, by Lakoff and Johnson - and Lakoff's book: Women, Fire, and Dangerous Things.

And I know this is drifting - I actually mentioned this in another forum section - but have you read The Chrysalids? I read it in high school and I read it every few years since. What I love is: thought shapes - which is what I thought of in your post on visuals. It is a 50's book, and in a post-apocalyptic world - such a popular theme at the time - anyways, there were a small group of youth who communicated telepathically by thought shapes - and I shouldn't say more in case you want to read it. But, maybe with what you have hit on here is the reason I have so loved this book through the years. I always referred to myself as a 'fringe person'.

Best Always, LM

Rocker_C
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Aug 2012, 5:38 pm

Mmuffinn wrote:
nrau wrote:
It's not autistic, it's connected to personality disorders caused by stress.

While it is possible that it is not specific to AS, I do not believe that it is a personality disorder. I don't see that any of the personality disorders suggest communication difficulties such as this as a symptom. Stress also doesn't cause personality disorders, although it may have a role in impeding communication. Temple Grandin does believe that putting thoughts into words can be difficult for those with ASDs, and difficulties with communication are listed in the diagnostic criteria.

I, personally, found your comment insulting. It seemed as though you were saying, "Your difficulties are not related to AS, they are under your control and you just need to deal with stress better because of your defective personality." I know that isn't what you said, but it is how I took it.

Thats how I took it too Im sorry to say. I hate crossing wires with people.. because it makes it seem like Im in the way or Im stopping them doing what theyre doing. But I agree also, its not a cause of personality disorder, more perhaps towards stresses and how the body reacts to certain types of information is all. But still, if people have suggestions on how to "jot down" or communicate pictures into real world form, then please post! I would be very greatful for any help that people can offer, because it would be a benefit to everyone who suffered of this characteristic which sometimes comes with AS.

Rocker_C

16 Aug 2012, 5:45 pm

Logicalmom wrote:
Hi, Rocker C:

I just studied some interesting material on this topic - maybe you would like to google wikipedia: Image Schema. You would probably enjoy Metaphors We Live By, by Lakoff and Johnson - and Lakoff's book: Women, Fire, and Dangerous Things.

And I know this is drifting - I actually mentioned this in another forum section - but have you read The Chrysalids? I read it in high school and I read it every few years since. What I love is: thought shapes - which is what I thought of in your post on visuals. It is a 50's book, and in a post-apocalyptic world - such a popular theme at the time - anyways, there were a small group of youth who communicated telepathically by thought shapes - and I shouldn't say more in case you want to read it. But, maybe with what you have hit on here is the reason I have so loved this book through the years. I always referred to myself as a 'fringe person'.

Best Always, LM

Thanks for that, I will definitely check them out as soon as I can. Sounds very interesting, and something I would be interested in reading more about. My girlfriend seems to have heard of it from somewhere, so I'll check it out. If only we could use telepathy to communicate! haha. I'd love that at times I bet. Its very possible that could be one option for the future, and Im sure someone somewhere in this big world theyre working on it or have it hidden away!

I have never heard of any of those, but cant wait to check them out.

Thanks

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 9:11 pm

Rocker_C wrote:
TheSunAlsoRises wrote:
Rocker_C wrote:
TheSunAlsoRises wrote:
I think that you may be looking for some sort of Augmentative and Alternative Communication Device.

I hope this helps.

http://www.abilityhub.com/aac/aac-devices.htm

TheSunAlsoRises

Thanks for the link. I checked it out, and there's a bit of reading to do on that site, so I'll take a look and try to go through it. Do you know of any specific product on the site which may help?

The website that i gave you had broken links to the listed products, no pricing, etc.

Here is a much better website.

http://www.enablemart.com/Catalog/Augme ... munication

Once you pull it up, click on speech generating devices, Basic Communicators, Communication Software, or Picture Communicators. In fact, you might want to preview other categories.

The product information is short and concise.

It will depend on your specific needs and price range.

TheSunAlsoRises

Thank you for passing that to me. It's nice to see that technologies are being brought forwards to help people with disabilities. I went through the site, but unfortunately its not quite what I would like to have.. but I did find a video of a very interesting technology which is coming forward.. not sure when but it's in existence.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/ ... rain-words

Thats a link to it anyway.. they were able to take thought and put it into words that were played out loud. Maybe someday this will come in handy. But even with this, there's still a problem I think, and that is that when you try to recall what you want to say, you're brain gets into a jumble and that would be the reason for it not coming out. I wonder how technology could ever bridge that gap.. or if it ever could. I think what it would have to do is to discover what you were trying to say, and then give you a cue on how to say it before its left your mouth in words. I guess one day it will be around, and I would guess it could be known as predictive speech relay.. or something of those sorts. I know one thing for sure, it would have to have 0% latency between the neuron firing in the brain, and it being on the screen for you to access. It wouldn't necessarily have to be used every time we spoke a word, but rather would come in really handy in those instances where we want to phrase something but cant get past the jumble in our heads.. I wonder if it is also connected to complex ideas.. it always seems when I try to explain something with a little more complexity than just normal talk, it gets jammed on me inside my head. All I know is this: it bugs me a lot, and I am going to discover an answer! lol.

Thanks again.

You are welcome, man. I 'm not too familar with the technology that you wrote about. It's extremely, interesting. One drawback i can see, is the process of unwanted thoughts to speech.
BUT, i think it might be a slight inconvenience ( for many) to pay ....for communication they would normally not have.

By all means, pursue your interest and passion.

I was reading an article on Autism Speaks website.

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/autistic-v ... d=17020316

It gave me an ideal to search for this :

http://gusinc.com/2012/iPad.html

TheSunAlsoRises

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 9:28 pm

I feel like I have trouble translating my thoughts into words, too. As a result, I bottle up a lot of my feelings to the point that they come out as emotional outbursts rather than intelligent conversation.

My inability to translate thoughts into words isn't entirely at fault for that, however....after my parents divorced when I was five, the social message I received most frequently was, "Keep your worries and fears to yourself....don't make it any harder for the grownups than it already is." :?

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

Rocker_C

22 Aug 2012, 4:19 pm

Logicalmom wrote:
Hi, Rocker C:

Best Always, LM

Hi LM,

I just wanted to say I took a look into all of the ideas you raised and Image Schema definitely sounds fitting, and very interesting also. I feel like I may have a place for it at some point in my university course I am about to start soon. My girlfriend purchased the book Women, Fire, and Dangerous Things on amazon, and we started to read into it. Again, very interesting but I feel somehow it fails to mention some new areas of experimentalism, but very interesting!

Thank you for suggesting them :)

Rocker_C

22 Aug 2012, 4:22 pm

TheSunAlsoRises wrote:
Rocker_C wrote:
TheSunAlsoRises wrote:
Rocker_C wrote:
TheSunAlsoRises wrote:
I think that you may be looking for some sort of Augmentative and Alternative Communication Device.

I hope this helps.

http://www.abilityhub.com/aac/aac-devices.htm

TheSunAlsoRises

Thanks for the link. I checked it out, and there's a bit of reading to do on that site, so I'll take a look and try to go through it. Do you know of any specific product on the site which may help?

The website that i gave you had broken links to the listed products, no pricing, etc.

Here is a much better website.

http://www.enablemart.com/Catalog/Augme ... munication

Once you pull it up, click on speech generating devices, Basic Communicators, Communication Software, or Picture Communicators. In fact, you might want to preview other categories.

The product information is short and concise.

It will depend on your specific needs and price range.

TheSunAlsoRises

Thank you for passing that to me. It's nice to see that technologies are being brought forwards to help people with disabilities. I went through the site, but unfortunately its not quite what I would like to have.. but I did find a video of a very interesting technology which is coming forward.. not sure when but it's in existence.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/ ... rain-words

Thats a link to it anyway.. they were able to take thought and put it into words that were played out loud. Maybe someday this will come in handy. But even with this, there's still a problem I think, and that is that when you try to recall what you want to say, you're brain gets into a jumble and that would be the reason for it not coming out. I wonder how technology could ever bridge that gap.. or if it ever could. I think what it would have to do is to discover what you were trying to say, and then give you a cue on how to say it before its left your mouth in words. I guess one day it will be around, and I would guess it could be known as predictive speech relay.. or something of those sorts. I know one thing for sure, it would have to have 0% latency between the neuron firing in the brain, and it being on the screen for you to access. It wouldn't necessarily have to be used every time we spoke a word, but rather would come in really handy in those instances where we want to phrase something but cant get past the jumble in our heads.. I wonder if it is also connected to complex ideas.. it always seems when I try to explain something with a little more complexity than just normal talk, it gets jammed on me inside my head. All I know is this: it bugs me a lot, and I am going to discover an answer! lol.

Thanks again.

You are welcome, man. I 'm not too familar with the technology that you wrote about. It's extremely, interesting. One drawback i can see, is the process of unwanted thoughts to speech.
BUT, i think it might be a slight inconvenience ( for many) to pay ....for communication they would normally not have.

By all means, pursue your interest and passion.

I was reading an article on Autism Speaks website.

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/autistic-v ... d=17020316

It gave me an ideal to search for this :

http://gusinc.com/2012/iPad.html

TheSunAlsoRises

I seen that same girl on a video! Amazing story, and she certainly is strong to have gotten past her differences to bring it all forward. It's very rewarding to be able to communicate fluently, which some people take for granted.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 4:32 pm

In terms of that problem, I have some small issues with it occationally. And the only way I can think of is trying to write it down on a piece of paper or typing it.

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 4:55 pm

I've had this problem for years, but I never tied it to any kind of condition. I had just put it off to nerves. I think I know something, but when I get asked about it, I freeze up and can't get out what I'm trying to say. If I'm not pressured, I can talk about the subject all day. But as soon as I get put on the spot, it's gone.

I nearly flunked a French language final in college because of it. The entire final consisted of having a short conversation in French with the instructor. And I couldn't do it. I understood exactly what she asked me, but I couldn't come up with the words to answer her back. After the test, I remembered all the things I should have said in the test.

A friend of mine is really into philosphy, religion and economics and discusses it all at great length. He quizzes me all the time about what he's said, what my opinion is about certain topics, and what's he's said in the past. He gripes at me because I can't pull it up and repeat it to him. He thinks I don't comprehend what he's saying, but I do. It makes me feel like a moron when I know I'm not. (There's a question of his condescending attitude about the whole thing, but that's for another post.)

Now that I think of it, I guess it do it even more than I realized. I talk A LOT, and very quickly. But I've been told I talk in "shorthand" -- meaning that I tend to leave out words and thoughts in my stream of verbosity. So many times, I have to repeat myself because no one is following what I'm talking about.

Those are just a few examples, and it's happened dozens of times besides. But -- while I have all this trouble with the spoken word, I have NONE of that when writing. When I'm working on my own time, and in my own way, I can be amazingly eloquent. But unfortunately, we are expected to communicate verbally, not with flash cards.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 5:31 pm

I have trouble translating thoughts into words and one day I said to my psychologist that I wished I could construct a hologram in space that she could see the images in my mind so that I could communicate them to her in that way as I am mainly picture-based thinking.
I really wish it was possible to construct a hologram at a present moment and from that point communicating by shifting the images just by the changing pattern of the image-thought from your mind in an interactive way with the other party.
If I read information that I like as at the moment I obssess over neuropsychology I do manage to put it into a written tekst or share thoughts about it with a to me very familiar person, who is as well interested in it, the only difficulty is the difficulty to form sentences as I have an "avoiding" speech-pâttern, but the difficulty with any not this very familiar person is that I often cannot speak at all and would rather use a hologram.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.