Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2015, 2:29 pm

I have loadsa that. It's very useful in a dangerous situation, but the aftermath can be difficult. I once had an accident where I could have died, but got off with only a few scratches. The emotional reaction only came two days later when I went to work, and everyone was very annoyed with me for being a drama queen. That stuff is difficult to deal with.

Also, I had to learn to consciously stand up for myself without waiting for the emotional reaction. This means I sometimes come across as too confrontational, but honestly, I'd rather scare off some random people than have bullies walk all over me.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2015, 2:34 pm

Domisoldo wrote:
Could that be related to Asperger? Confronted with things that should provoke a strong emotional reaction, like dealing with aggressive people, emergency situations, accidents, even the death of a loved one... I usually don't react right away. I mean, I do what's needed to be done on the spot, but I will feel the blow hours later... Sometimes a day or two later... Is this common?

I know I do this and I hate it! It's as if I'm stunned 'deer in the headlights' when encountered with "aggressive people" etc (or just downright asininity). Frustrating. I know others (neurotypicals) are comparably much better are dealing with issues as they arise.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2015, 8:42 pm

I have been criticized for not bieng emotional enough when something traumatic happens and when my delayed emotion kicks in for not bieng over it. No I am first getting into it.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2015, 9:10 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I have been criticized for not bieng emotional enough when something traumatic happens and when my delayed emotion kicks in for not bieng over it. No I am first getting into it.

Me too

GodzillaWoman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2015, 9:15 pm

I often experience initial strong emotional reactions as being something nebulous and undefinable, a sort of "swirly" feeling. This can be practically anything big, positive or negative. It may take hours or days for the emotions to resolve into something I can understand, almost as though they are some sort of tangled knot I have to unsnarl. My wife sometimes asks me how I'm feeling, and I honestly say, "I don't know." At first she thought I was not willing to tell her, but I really was being honest. A positive feeling may just emerge on its own ("oh, I guess I am relieved about this") but a negative feeling may get triggered by something else, possibly something minor. So I may be upset about getting into trouble at work, but not start feeling angry or crying until I get upset by something else, like watching something on TV.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2015, 9:39 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

Same for me.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2016, 11:29 am

This is true for me. It seems like the only emotion I can feel on time is anger which is not a good thing.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2016, 11:31 am

Domisoldo wrote:
Could that be related to Asperger? Confronted with things that should provoke a strong emotional reaction, like dealing with aggressive people, emergency situations, accidents, even the death of a loved one... I usually don't react right away. I mean, I do what's needed to be done on the spot, but I will feel the blow hours later... Sometimes a day or two later... Is this common?

I feel this way a lot and what I do about it is I don't even bother because then it will look like I am just trying to pick a fight and trying to argue and I don't want to give that impression to anyone.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2016, 11:46 am

I usually don't freeze but I have the delayed emotional reactions. It also has a good side as it makes me a lot more efficient and reliable in a crisis situation - in my case no emotions equal no panic.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2016, 12:42 pm

Domisoldo wrote:
Yea, that is definitely an Asperger's thing. It's normal for us.

Wreck It Ralph

inmydreams
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Nov 2016, 2:22 am

I was looking to see if other people with aspergers give the wrong emotional response to the one they later feel. I can't stay in a relationship because if someone is unreasonable in my mind I get really logical and frustrated. At the most distressed but seem angry. What I know I'm supposed to do is cry but I dont.

I cry if someone dies (I sobbed a lot over Leonard Cohen) and AFTER my partner just left me but while he was leaving I kept thinking "he's being really unreasonable" and appeared really cold towards the situation apparently. A little while after he'd walked out of the door, the tears came but it was too late.

I do this every time and he's very sensitive and quite unreasonably so, so I upset him a lot with my reactions. In the early days, before I got more confident with him I would just shut down and he could manage that. He would think about what he'd done and apologise and be tender with me but now he runs off like a frightened rabbit when he was the one to hurt me in the first place...

Does anyone have any advice about controlling a need to correct people if they're inaccurate and to give myself a chance to just feel hurt instead?!

inmydreams

13 Nov 2016, 6:32 am

I was looking to see if other people with aspergers give the wrong emotional response to the one they later feel. I can't stay in a relationship because if someone is unreasonable in my mind I get really logical and frustrated. At the most distressed but seem angry. What I know I'm supposed to do is cry but I dont.

I cry if someone dies (I sobbed a lot over Leonard Cohen) and AFTER my partner just left me but while he was leaving I kept thinking "he's being really unreasonable" and appeared really cold towards the situation apparently. A little while after he'd walked out of the door, the tears came but it was too late.

I do this every time and he's very sensitive and quite unreasonably so, so I upset him a lot with my reactions. In the early days, before I got more confident with him I would just shut down and he could manage that. He would think about what he'd done and apologise and be tender with me but now he runs off like a frightened rabbit when he was the one to hurt me in the first place...

Does anyone have any advice about controlling a need to correct people if they're inaccurate and to give myself a chance to just feel hurt instead?!