Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

DragonB
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Aug 2012, 2:26 am

dose anybody know about greek mythology.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2012, 3:15 am

I went on a Greek and Norse Mythology kick as a kid, but I am now in my early 50s, so I don't remember too much of it. If you are interested in it, the library has plenty of books. And remember, the library is free, as long as you return the books on time. :D You can also take out videos, DVDs, audio books, and old radio shows on cassette and CDs--all for free. Some libraries even loan out art. My first, and favorite, job was in a library. :D I worked there part-time while I was in high school. They reserved the lowest paying job for high school kids. Unfortunately, because they are a non profit organization, they don't have to pay the minimum wage, so I wasn't paid well, but I did like the job. I still mentally kick myself for never going on to college to take library courses. :wall: I could have got a decent job doing something I like. I had a hard time all through school though, with dealing with the two legged animals I had to go to school with, and with some of my courses. So by the time high school was over, and I was legally allowed to no longer associate with the "animals", I naturally chose to forgo any further torture, and never pursued higher education. I should have eventually gone on for a library degree. :wall: I coulda been a contender. :wall:

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2012, 6:08 am

I also went on my mythology phase (Greek, Roman, and Egypcian) as a kid (I was about 12 if I remember correctly), and I do not remember much of it, either (I am in my 40s now). The worst part: now I mix Greek and Roman gods, because they had the same gods but with different names. I think you should be able to find los of info about the subject on the Internet. I just LOVE Internet. When I was a kid you had to buy the book or go to the library.

DragonB
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Aug 2012, 3:57 am

does anybody like Poseidon as a god. :lol: :D :? 8) :shaking2: :compress: :shaking: :spiderman: :colors: :smurfin: :smurf: :brilsmurf: :bigsmurf: :bigsmurf: :flower: :farao:

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 1:39 pm

DragonB wrote:
does anybody like Poseidon as a god. :lol: :D :? 8) :shaking2: :compress: :shaking: :spiderman: :colors: :smurfin: :smurf: :brilsmurf: :bigsmurf: :bigsmurf: :flower: :farao:

Of course!! ! I have always loved the sea, so I was specially fond for Poseidon, and Aphrodite emerging from the sea foam.

EtherealBallet
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Nov 2012, 3:17 am

I know it quite well. Pallas Athena is my favorite. in some stories I like Poseidon in some not I like the horse one. because I like horses. no spoilers for anyone who does not know that one

ktkat
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Nov 2012, 8:35 am

EtherealBallet wrote:
I know it quite well. Pallas Athena is my favorite. in some stories I like Poseidon in some not I like the horse one. because I like horses. no spoilers for anyone who does not know that one

I'm definitely an Athena fan, and I like the story of Arachne. I used to love mythology. We had to do it last year in 6th fade litterature. I had the story of Eros and Psyche. I was not a fan of that one.

"Bunnies rule the universe"

EtherealBallet
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Nov 2012, 10:04 am

ktkat wrote:
EtherealBallet wrote:

I'm definitely an Athena fan, and I like the story of Arachne. I used to love mythology. We had to do it last year in 6th fade litterature. I had the story of Eros and Psyche. I was not a fan of that one.

In concept I like Psyche in character not really. If I remeber correctly she was foolish and rather shallow. Athena I like because she is wise, strong and quite nice. I like the story of Arachne too it was a story of I think vainity, anger and mercy

ktkat
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Nov 2012, 9:25 pm

It's mainly the random romantic parts of mythology that annoy me. All of the different versions can also get confusing.

ktkat
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Nov 2012, 9:30 pm

Some times I feel like my dog is Cerberus, because she stares in every direction. She doesn't bark much, but when she does its deep like what I imagine Cerberus's voice to sound like.

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2012, 9:32 pm

unfortunately, I do not know much of greek, roman, or any ancient mythology, honestly. I wish they would have taught us more about that kinda stuff when I was in school, but they just wanted to make sure we knew the names of the gods, and that was about it.

EtherealBallet
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Nov 2012, 11:07 pm

ktkat wrote:
It's mainly the random romantic parts of mythology that annoy me. All of the different versions can also get confusing.
yeah in learning one story you must learn 3. It is confusing when sometime the same person will have different relationships in different versions (such as in one a person will be someone's parent in another they do not even know each other. I think I have seen this.) Aphrodite must be to blame for the random romances :P (I am kidding here, and trying to be friendly) I was at one point reading Odyssey but it was on a DS game card 100 classic game and I have yet to find most of my games. It was very good so far and as soon as I find the game and finish my reading list I will restart. Have any of you read any of the full poems? do you like learning them that way or do you like them told short?