Page 1 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Alphawolf
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Sep 2016, 8:00 am

The term waste implies a moral judgment that is inappropriately applied as imposing a value to a persons efforts. Each person is an individual who reponds to the challenges of their life with the collective strengths they possess. Some people would say I am a success because; I am an autistic man who has successfully built a career that rewards me with a 6 figure income. Some would call me a failure because; socially I live alone, I have no wife, no children of my own, bad relations with my family, I'm a misanthrope, I am easily confused by social and other situations and best of all some people say my life is a waste because I am unable to drive.

The definition of a wasted life is solely dependent on the perspective, empathy and insights of the person making the judgment. The true definition of what qualifies as a wasted life must be the individual living their life for no one else is uniquely qualified to determine if you wasted your life. The best indicator of a wasted life is embodied by your answer to this question. We all the challenges you face, all the things you know and all the abilities you possess DID YOU DO THE VERY BEST YOU COULD WITH WHAT YOU HAD AT THE TIME OF THE ASSESSMENT? If yes you did not waste your life. If no you did waste your life. My question is born of my autism inspired black and white thinking which at time is a boon to my comprehension of the world and its human realities.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2016, 2:03 pm

^^^^^^^ :idea: QFT :idea:

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2016, 5:25 pm

Alphawolf wrote:
The definition of a wasted life is solely dependent on the perspective, empathy and insights of the person making the judgment. The true definition of what qualifies as a wasted life must be the individual living their life for no one else is uniquely qualified to determine if you wasted your life. The best indicator of a wasted life is embodied by your answer to this question. We all the challenges you face, all the things you know and all the abilities you possess DID YOU DO THE VERY BEST YOU COULD WITH WHAT YOU HAD AT THE TIME OF THE ASSESSMENT? If yes you did not waste your life. If no you did waste your life. My question is born of my autism inspired black and white thinking which at time is a boon to my comprehension of the world and its human realities.

Sometimes self assessment isn't accurate. People have all kinds of confidence issues.
Some think poorly of themselves while doing the best they can because they think they are not doing enough despite already biting more than they can chew. Others are lazying around but are sure they do their best because they already got what they need despite not trying and don't have to work for more.
Sometimes it's even the same person - the confidence can switch depending on current state of mind. Anxiety might make you feel like a dogs s**t, excitement as a king of Earth.
Did such a person waste his life or not?
Or maybe his life is wasted while he is anxious and fulfilled when he is excited?

Last edited by Kiriae on 01 Sep 2016, 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2016, 5:25 pm

I feel like I've wasted a good portion of my life.

Sometimes, I regret it; other times, I use this notion of "waste" to propel me to greater heights in the future.

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2016, 5:30 pm

"waste" is a term you apply to resources. and resources are means to an end. so what parts of your life have been wasted or not depends strictly on what your goals are. and if you're content with your life as it is, then no part of your life has been wasted, because it all led you to the point where you are. and contentment itself can be a goal without any other concrete achievements. and then it's a matter of maintaining it rather than achieving it. and then nothing has been wasted

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2016, 5:51 pm

Don't forget: you can "waste" time, too.

This is merely the concrete meaning extended into the abstract.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2016, 5:55 pm

waste is a terrible thing to mind. :mrgreen:

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2016, 6:10 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Don't forget: you can "waste" time, too.

This is merely the concrete meaning extended into the abstract.

yes. time is usually one of the main resources for anything. i was talking about time more than anything else

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2016, 6:11 pm

Yeah.....I do mind the smell of Waste!

And I mind the fact that I've wasted my time in life.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2016, 7:34 pm

others would look at my life as a total waste of time, but it was the best I could do, in this lifetime.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2016, 12:37 am

If a person spends thier life high on drugs thier life is "wasted".

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2016, 1:14 am

auntblabby wrote:
others would look at my life as a total waste of time, but it was the best I could do, in this lifetime.

I think you have helped many on here just by talking to them.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2016, 1:16 am

smudge wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I think you have helped many on here just by talking to them.

thank you :flower:

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2016, 1:34 am

You are welcome.

Despite how I appear on here, I'm actually very polite and friendly IRL. I always say my please and thank yous. I show gratefulness if someone else helps me out. If my mum's partner starts talking loudly about what a terrible place like Mc Donalds is in front of the staff, I tell him to shut up. If I ever order pizza, which is rare these days, I sometimes give them a big tip, it *really* makes their day. Sometimes if you keep talking to a really bored looking staff member in a shop and just keep asking them about themselves, that can really make their day too. Or helping someone out who is obviously struggling with a train ticket machine or something, I met a really interesting woman once doing that who made jewellry for the Icelandic president's wife at the time. Just giving someone a genuine smile can cheer them up too.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2016, 1:36 am

I try to chat up people who seem bereft of some lightness in their present situation. sometimes they tolerate me. I know that it would be better if I had less clumsiness in my expression.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2016, 1:42 am

^ You try your best and have a good heart, that's what matters.