Do you, or have you ever had a close friend?

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2012, 9:54 pm

My question was inspired by a random screenshot I came across which shows an IM messenger containing a group called "closest friends"... and, I thought, throughout my life I actually hesitated to call anyone I knew as friends, let alone a close friend.

The average lifespan of a friendship with me is about two weeks, sometimes... so, not a lot of opportunity for closeness! :-D (Seriously, once I managed to share a spliff with someone but some days later pissed him off forever.)

At the moment I seem to be consciously avoiding any possibily of friendship, or even sensible human interaction. We all die alone, and I suppose I face reality.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2012, 10:55 pm

Yeah, throughout my life I've pretty much always been able to maintain about 3-4 people as close friends. One thing that's hurt me in my life recently was who I thought my closest friend was just not talking to me ever after he got married and I switched churches. I realize now he didn't view me as a "friend" but like, felt sorry for me, and after I left the church, his obligations toward me were done, but I'd known him since my first year of high school until last year. Friends are...who's left, more or less. My longest kept friend would go back to middle school (about 2004?), but he went out of state to college and was busy, and we both had pretty different lives, so we don't talk as much anymore, but I still see him once in a blue moon and we text and talk on the phone occasionally.

So, individually, I can keep friends, but groups is the problem.

UDAspie13
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Aug 2012, 10:57 pm

I am undiagnosed first off.
second, I never have anything but close friends. Usually, if someone shows even the slightest interest in becoming my friend, I become incessantly clingy. Second, I have some OCD behaviors - I like to touch people's skin, usually by playful punching or poking. I also hesitate to make eye contact -I know that its the polite thing to do but it makes me feel uncomfortable.
So basically if a friend makes it through the first day and still considers me a friend, we stay friends. Usually. I guess the poking got to three of my friends and we no longer associate.
I also lose friends frequently- about four or five in the past three or four years. I guess it's because of my intense interests. If I'm into it, its all I talk about.
If you ever need to talk PM me I like talking via message.

solo
Raven
Raven

18 Aug 2012, 11:24 pm

Can't say that I ever had a "close" friend in my lifetime. At least nobody I could talk with about personal problems or anything personal for that matter. Nobody I could trust to keep their word or anything. I have "friends" that contact me only when they need something or when it's beneficial for them. Friends have stolen from me. Had friends that ripped me off many times whether it be me lending them some $ or something and them never paying me back. I will run into them and they will be nice, then I will ask about paying me back or taking them up on their offer to help me this time and I get some sob story excuse. Now I am a very skeptical person when it comes to dealing with anyone and always trying to figure out people's angle / what they are fishing for out of me. I think I just attract the wrong type of people, but I cannot figure out how or where to find good people if they even exist. Last few "friends" are whats left from the partying I walked away from. They aren't worth anything. One girl many years ago I could trust and feel comfortable around but she got mixed up in bad situations and is now dead.

So I really only have family and myself.

SpectrumWarrior
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Aug 2012, 11:28 pm

I remember having some close friends. As a teenager though I had an ex-gf tell me about how much they talked about me behind my back... I endured the humiliation and stayed oblivious to maintain friendships, and it worked but as the years wore on I still experienced discrimination and have resolved that NT friendships aren't worth the effort.

Throughout my life though I had adapted and emulated their behavior enough to get by as basically a "weird loser" who was usable. After dropping out and fulfilling this label I realized these people would only hold me back. So I moved a few states away and ,having managed to fly under the radar, I eventually enlisted in the Army and deployed to Iraq.

When I came home, my sacrifice or the fact I experienced combat didn't matter, I was still only met with judgment and discrimination when I had problems. This is why I have no hope for NT's, if they can't have compassion for someone who endured the horrors of war than they'll never have enough compassion for the "mentally disabled".

Now I feel compelled to discriminate them as fearful simpletons who should never be trusted.

A_floating_moon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Aug 2012, 1:57 am

Hitting puberty, I lost the only close friend I ever had in person. Since then, I've only been really close friends with one other person and it was 100% long distance; I never met them in person.

But right now? Nope. No one.

There are ups and downs to being close to people and being alone. I'm kind of torn now...

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 2:58 am

I had a definite best friend when I was 5, and a best friend in my early teens. But since then, although I have one or two people I consider close, I don't have a best friend. I would like one, but I'm not sure that it is possible for me.

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 3:55 am

I have. Or at least I think I have. But I'm not very good at keeping them. It's a lot of work, being a friend to me. No yet has found the effort worthwhile, in the long run.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 6:09 am

I have close friends. I don't really have other types, i am going through a period of social exclusion though. Most of my best mates, have been my best mates for about 15years, a few only a decade and a few only a few years.

zxy8
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Aug 2012, 7:10 am

I really depends how close you mean. Each friend is closer than another friend. I've had some really, really, really close ones before.

Big_cheese
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Aug 2012, 7:13 am

i had one... then i ruined it by giving in to her request for a relationship... Then it ended and i don't think we've spoken in like 9-10 years :(.

Colinn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 2:42 pm

Big_cheese wrote:
i had one... then i ruined it by giving in to her request for a relationship... Then it ended and i don't think we've spoken in like 9-10 years :(.

I'm sorry to hear that. I've always believed that having a good friendship first would make for a more solid relationship, but there is always the risk of this happening. Its never too late to contact them if this person meant that much to you, unless it ended really badly.

As for me, I guess I do have a few friends I can confide in with personal issues in my life. I guess that would be considered a "close friend". I'm quite an open and honest person, so sometimes I may say more about something than I should. But I've not had anything used against me, not yet anyway :lol:

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 3:44 pm

mds_02 wrote:
I have. Or at least I think I have. But I'm not very good at keeping them. It's a lot of work, being a friend to me. No yet has found the effort worthwhile, in the long run.

Same with me.

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

Morningstar
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Aug 2012, 4:29 pm

As a tween/teen I was a lot more trusting than I am now, because I wanted a best friend so badly. I had two close friends in middle/high school, but we stopped being friends after some fights. Now, I'm married, but besides my husband I haven't had any close friends since high school.

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2015, 7:46 am

I used to have friends but everything in that area stopped in 1977 and afterwards I never had friends just free loaders and users but that is what allistic people do is just use you as the but of the joke talk about you behind your back or try to take advantage of you and not want friendship when there are so many allistics out there to choose from. I really have never had anyone to talk to until 2003 that doesn't use me. The last person in 1992 just eventually lied to his family about me and other things back in April 2000 when his friend accused me of helping someone I did not know steal his mobile phone when he was out of his head on a bottle of vodka and expected me to stop him or something like that. Another I trip sat after she had taken LSD back in 1995 as well and she was allistic. So I have no faith in human nature as they only treat you like an object to be used for the skills you have and nothing more and also take you for granted.:(

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2015, 8:26 am

I don't have friendships either. It was easier when you were a kid - friends were people you played cricket with, kids you went to school with, rode your bikes with. It was all fun and simple.
Adulthood - not so much. I started to question the basis of these connections after highschool, and unfortunately I discovered most of them were based on sex. People I thought were my friends just wanted to have sex with me, and were trying to trick me into believing they were my friends so I would sleep with them.
A friend, to me, is still that childhood simplicity - now, someone to go out and have a good time with, someone With shared interests who was nice to me and I got along with and felt comfortable with, someone I liked to be around, who I found interesting to talk to and could learn from. It never seems to gel, as an adult.