Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Big_cheese
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Aug 2012, 3:34 pm

i've got drunk plenty of times but it's only in my 30s that i've started getting a taste for it. Which actually makes me drink less, i used to drink to get drunk when i'd go out when i was younger, now i have a taste for it i just like to sip it and enjoy it.

Old ale type beers are among my favorites.

Erm, thinking back to my experience of being new to drinking though. I remember it was at my first job, i got dragged out with them at christmas and i guess that was my main introduction to alcohol, i was like 17. I didn't know what to drink though and someone recommended something called smirnoff mule and that was basically what i latched onto while i worked out other things i liked.

Alcohols an acquired taste( or it was for me) so it's no surprise that you don't immediately like it.... avoid it if you want but you'll enjoy your experiences around drunk people more if you're one of them.

Last edited by Big_cheese on 19 Aug 2012, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 3:42 pm

Some family histories prove that drinking may not be a good idea. Something to think about maybe... The point where booze becomes bad is when you go overboard. People blacking out, throwing up, hurting their family, kicking the dog, and so on are the abusers who are doing it wrong. However if you do decide to drink, perhaps a craft beer will be nice. Most people drink awful beer, usually cheap, or over advertized, while craft beers for the most part are something delicious, to be drank instead of chugged, enjoyed instead of just to drink, and for a buzz instead of getting drunk. You might enjoy girly/cheap sugary. wines, limoncello, snaps, cider, and martinis. These generally are very full of sweet flavors.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

19 Aug 2012, 4:38 pm

[Moved from General Autism Discussion to Random Discussion]

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 4:47 pm

PixelPony wrote:
Of course after my diagnosis, I'm on Ritalin.

Just be careful with that stuff. Towards the end I was getting addicted to it. You might not, but the "experts" who once flatly denied that it was in any way addictive are talking out of their bum.

tropicalcows wrote:
Additionally, they wake up crabby with a hangover.

I'd have to probably drink more than five or six pints for that to be true these days. More often than not it gave me a very dry mouth.

Colinn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 4:57 pm

If anything, its a good thing you don't have the taste for alcohol. The society of our generation might fool you into thinking alcohol is a good thing. As a depressant, it really isn't. There is also the theory that it makes your more social. It does for some in a sense by lowering their inhibitions, but really, you are just slowing down your brain down temporarily therefore lowering everything else as well. Congrats for not falling into the trap.

abstract
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Aug 2012, 4:59 pm

Dizzee wrote:
I'm 19 years old and I have never drinked a beer or any other alcoholic drink, just tasted it when I was like 10 years old but spitted it out after a first sip. I'm not sure if my problem is aspie related, because maybe the trauma at a childhood had a huge impact, seeing drunk dad was pretty bad experience. Anyways when I'm at a party people ask me to try it, but I always refuse. I just feel very uncomfortable about it, feels like everyone are committing a crime.

Same here.

WillMcC
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 7:27 pm

There is nothing wrong with being sober. Growing up, I did not even like anything the was carbonated (fizzy), and had no desire to even try beer (even when I was old enough to do so legally). Plus I don't like the idea of something that could impair my thinking, and the brief "feel good" periods are not worth the risks of passing out and waking up somewhere, hangovers, liver damage, DUI, etc. Yes, I know that those don't happen when drinking in moderation, but I still don't like the idea of something that will alter my way of thinking.

I am actually the odd-ball in the family, as I have ancestors and relatives who are or were in the beer/wine industry, and everyone else drinks.

again_with_this
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 7:39 pm

Cornflake wrote:

You know, if you move the thread while it's still listed as a recent posting on the main page, the link stops working, which is a bit frustrating.

infilove
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2012, 9:11 pm

i started drinking around 21 and enjoyed it and got drunk a few times had fun but i now of age 28 decided to stop drinking because i feel like it's overrated. it makes me feel slow, makes my mind not clear, and makes me feel crappy. i also don't want to become an alcoholic because my mom and my sister both are and their lives are a complete mess no joke. i honestly i think alcohole should be what's illegal not hemp. hemp is more healthy, doesn't damage your body and it's kind of good for your brain and outlook in life when you use it in moderation and the right times.

aspie quiz results; http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1= ... =80&p12=28

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 6:30 am

I have a healthy fear of alcohol and for good reason. I took my first drink of alcohol when I was 15 years old. It was an instant love affair. I had found something that I thought was a magical potion and a solution for anything and everything. Within a year of that I had people my own age and much much older telling me I had a "drinking" problem. I laughed at their concern and thinking to myself "I don't have a problem at all ingesting the alcohol, this is my potion". Eventually the alcohol led to other substances like pot, abusing my prescription Ritalin and insane amounts of OTC cough medicine.
It wasn't until recently that it caught up with me and the court system had to step in and intervene. Since age 18, I have bounced in and out of counselors offices, rehabs and mental hospitals. The drugs were in the foreground causing problems but alcohol was always involved in the background. Now I have almost 6 months clean and sober and literally have a fear of taking a drink. The minute I get that first drink in me, a little switch goes off in my head where reasoning and logic go out the window. Fear of alcohol is present in me because within hours or so of taking that first drink I would be throwing myself headfirst in to the fire of addiction and that can be likened to living a nightmare!

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

20 Aug 2012, 8:02 am

again_with_this wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
You know, if you move the thread while it's still listed as a recent posting on the main page, the link stops working, which is a bit frustrating.
Possibly if you were posting to it at the exact time I moved it (that's happened!) but retrying would then work correctly - otherwise when clicked, the "Moved" entry in the index opens the thread in its new "moved to" location which essentially means it's available from two locations.
The position in the forum index - its "freshness" - isn't relevant to the way in which this works. A "Moved" entry always links to the thread's new location.

Mike_Garrick
Toucan
Toucan

20 Aug 2012, 8:19 am

I also have problems with alcohol, my father was an angry drunk...well angry period but more so when drunk.
I get uncomfortable around people just because they're drinking.

Whats worse though are the looks you get from people when you say you don't drink.
It's like they are so perplexed and insulted that you would refuse a drink.
You'd think they'd just offered a starving man a slightly less then appetizing meal and he'd refused by their reaction.
Every single time I'm forced into family get togethers like Christmas and thanksgiving everyone offers me one,
like I haven't been refusing them for the last 7 years and they're always just as surprised.

I want to get over it because I know its not so much that I hate alcohol then it is childhood issues.
But so many barriers to it, least of which being that the cheap stuff smells and tastes like I'd rather piss in a cup and drink that.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 10:00 am

SavageMessiah wrote:
Not surprising alcohol is not favorable with ASD. Personally, I typically do not drink caloric beverages (except 0% milk), so alcohol is difficult enough to consume without bloating and dopiness/fatigue.

The sheer basics of drinking seem to yield more harm than good. Check this out!

The Good:
- You're *potentially* intoxicated, in a "good" way, laughing, carefree, and sociable.

The Bad (this goes for everyone, but for ASD peeps these would likely only be magnified):
- You choose beer, where you "need" to drink so much of it that you're running to the toilet every half hour
- You choose a liquor or beer that makes you physically ill in some way
- You become an emotional basketcase or violent
- Your impaired judgement causes you to make mistakes that put your or someone else's life in danger
- You get bloating, indigestion and/or heartburn
- Hangovers (headaches, dehydration, etc.)

Beyond all this, the consumption of alcohol is for ASD:
1. A break from daily routines with unknown consequences. Who really wants that?
2. An activity with no specific purpose or meaning. Aside from potentially feeling silly and somewhat off-balance, we usually spend enough time feeling both, right?

Then again not everyone with AS is exactly the same.......I mean I don't really have a specific routine at all, I doubt I could keep to a specific routine anyways. And I don't dislike the feeling alcohol causes, unless of course i end up drinking too much and get sick feeling but I do my best to avoid that. I also enjoy the taste of good beer and some hard liquor.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 10:07 am

Tequila wrote:
PixelPony wrote:
Of course after my diagnosis, I'm on Ritalin.

Just be careful with that stuff. Towards the end I was getting addicted to it. You might not, but the "experts" who once flatly denied that it was in any way addictive are talking out of their bum.

tropicalcows wrote:
Additionally, they wake up crabby with a hangover.

I'd have to probably drink more than five or six pints for that to be true these days. More often than not it gave me a very dry mouth.

Hmm not that I am advising it, but I am of the opinion stimulants and alcohol go well together......if I am drinking hard alcohol especially I like to use caffeinated drinks for chaser or if I am using something without caffeine I am likely to have caffeine before I drink. Also I have drank with adderall before and did not experience any added ill effects or anything. Its mostly CNS depressants that are bad to have with alcohol since alcohol is also a depressant taking multiple depressants can increase that effect too much and cause bodily functions to slow down and eventually stop.

54together
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2012, 10:30 am

I hate the smell of alcohol! >.<

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 10:44 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Hmm not that I am advising it, but I am of the opinion stimulants and alcohol go well together......if I am drinking hard alcohol especially I like to use caffeinated drinks for chaser or if I am using something without caffeine I am likely to have caffeine before I drink.

I used to do this very regularly when I still went out drinking. It's great craic.