Page 10 of 12 [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2017, 1:53 am

BrokenPieces wrote:
:?: Being undiagnosed doesn't mean you're not autistic. You're not autistic just from the moment a professional says you are. Or am I misunderstanding what you mean?

There's very strong feeling in some sections of WP that if you are undiagnosed then you can't call yourself autistic or an Aspie

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2017, 3:28 am

cyberdad wrote:
BrokenPieces wrote:
:?: Being undiagnosed doesn't mean you're not autistic. You're not autistic just from the moment a professional says you are. Or am I misunderstanding what you mean?

There's very strong feeling in some sections of WP that if you are undiagnosed then you can't call yourself autistic or an Aspie

You are autistic or you are not. Now matter if a proffessional diagnosed you or you self diagnosed, if you call yourself aspie or autistic you may or may not be correct. No language policers have the ability to change this.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2017, 9:32 am

The We're Just Like Everybody Elsers.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2017, 10:07 am

Butterfly88 wrote:
There's no reason to confuse the general public with a new word. Instead we should focus on autism acceptance.

I am focusing on NT acceptance, although I realize that they are ultimately, delicate victims, who need my help, whether they actually want it or not. 8)

I like the figure of speech, from the Wizard of Oz, in which true seekers (visiting a mortal man) are called "victims of disorganized thinking." They are then given testimonials and honorary degrees (by the mere mortal) so are special.

Owing to the fact that they are flawed, NT could be misspelled, intentionally, for a twisted, noir kind-of effect -- like when California is spelled with a K.

BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2017, 12:29 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
BrokenPieces wrote:

You are autistic or you are not. Now matter if a proffessional diagnosed you or you self diagnosed, if you call yourself aspie or autistic you may or may not be correct. No language policers have the ability to change this.

I had no idea this was a concern in some parts of WP. (I tend to steer clear of more serious topics.) There are some people diagnosed with autism that aren't autistic, just like there are undiagnosed people that are autistic.

I thought this community would be different, more accepting but I guess neurotype has nothing to do with that.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2017, 12:42 pm

Chronos wrote:
mmcool wrote:
the word nurotypical is getting old and it's meaning is not that right we need a new word for nurotypicals

please reply with suggestions

There was a word. "Normal". However some individuals took offence to the implication that they were not normal.

I find that reaction utterly ludicrous. "Normal" is a statistic. If you fall within that wide swath of average, then you are typical, or normal - in line with the majority of the population.

If you fall OUTSIDE that band of normalcy, then you are AB-Normal. It ain't rocket science.

If your neurology is statistically consistent with only a small fraction of the overall population of the species, then you cannot be considered "normal."

I am not normal, and have no shame or embarrassment in owning that fact. It would be stupid of me to assert otherwise. No one on the LGBT spectrum is "normal," either, and I don't give a damn how politically incorrect it is to say so, it's a mathematical fact, and if you can't see or accept that, you're living in denial.

Being something other than "normal" does not mean you are unacceptable, or bad in any sense.

Defective? Well, you may have to come to that determination for yourself. Personally, I freely acknowledge my deviations from the norm involve many defects that make it extremely difficult for me to function in a world designed and organized for "normal" people.

On topic, I kind of like the term "normies," because it sounds vaguely diminutive and insulting, without being crass or openly hostile.

I just had a mental image of an NT walking into a bar full of Aspergians and being greeted with a chorus of "NORM!" like on Cheers. :lol:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2017, 8:05 pm

BrokenPieces wrote:
I thought this community would be different, more accepting but I guess neurotype has nothing to do with that.

I recall when I was more religious that Matthew Ch 7 verse 5 Jesus once reportedly said How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ while there is still a beam in your own eye?

Translation: Many on WP make generalizations about nuerotypicals without awareness that they i) are making the same narrow minded judgments they attribute to nuerotypicals themselves and ii) they often carry the same generalisations about fellow people on the Autism spectrum, especially those labelled low functioning

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 9:45 pm

There are already terms to describe those people.

Dishonest, untrustworthy, easily-offended, mentally-challenged, irrational, emotional, petty, competitive, unempathetic, shallow, aggressive, intolerant, and deluded, to list just a few. All of this is apparently 'normal', so I'm glad I'm not.

jcCoolidgejr.
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Jun 2017, 10:36 pm

Normal.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2017, 3:26 am

BrokenPieces wrote:
Quote:
Muggles

xD

Probably the safest and truest term you can use is "non-autistic". It couldn't possibly offend anyone. And J K Rowling can't sue you for saying it.

I often use that in "non autist" comment sections.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2017, 12:50 pm

Butterfly88 wrote:
Instead we should focus on autism acceptance.

friedmacguffins wrote:
I am focusing on NT acceptance...

cyberdad wrote:
Many on WP make generalizations about nuerotypicals without awareness

I am guilty as charged, and know that I am doing it. Sometimes, I am a jerk but still intellectually honest, about that.

From NT's, I get paced, parsed, and military-grade chickensh-t. Negotiations and social standing are forever a work in progress, and security is never a given. I don't feel loyal to that, because it's not loyal to me.

-- coy, non-committal

jifmam j jasond
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 May 2019, 2:08 am

Howabout...hmmmm... Neurolamers?

or TMMs(The Marching Morons). ref the C.M.Kornbluth story. Idiocracy was a blatant ripoff of this...except I view Idiocracy as scarcely fiction.

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2019, 2:24 am

Just say square. People wanted to be unique in the past, now people want to be like each other.

jifmam j jasond
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 May 2019, 2:35 am

DingDingDingDing!
We have a winner!
Squares...Its flawless!
go with the classics
But I guess that makes us Beats. ...I do drink a lot of coffee.

1st gas law of the Internet:
BS fills the bandwidth availiable- much as a gas expands to fill its container.

truth however is like a crystalline solid... it just sits there, hard and durable.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2019, 3:14 am

wrongcitizen wrote:
Just say square. People wanted to be unique in the past, now people want to be like each other.

I have not heard “square” used to describe someone out of touch since about 1972 or so. I quess that makes you “square” :D :

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2019, 5:51 pm

Oh the irony....a "square" was a term coined by the jazz community in the 1940s who thought jazz music was the music of the devil