What is considered 'significant social impairment.'

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

UDAspie13
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Aug 2012, 5:40 am

Its a very non-concrete term that is driving me NUTS!
I am somewhat socially impaired, but I don't know if it is 'significant.'
I don't function well in groups larger than five or six people.
I tend to wander.
Group conversations usually go something like:
Someone: So, what do you think?
Me:um, well [really lame answer] uh [really lame explanation]…
Someone: [expresses need for clarification]
Me: I've got it all worked out in my head. Just can't verbalize it.
I tend to poke people.... its FUN!! !! :lol:
And...yeah. I just want to know an example of 'significant social impairment'.
Thanks!! !! !! !!

LalaKitty
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Aug 2012, 6:04 am

Significant social impairment... hmm...
A big no no in a social gathering or something?? Oh, well, when you obviously don't know how to act in a social situation! xD
Like me, for example, I tend to bite people (not hygienic, I know) and wonder (like you! :D) and do a lot of random things/acts... like kicking a wall repetitively or poking my peers or.. well, just anything that doesn't seem normal whilst with a social group ^.^
Just lacking the term social really :cat:

Don't ever call me normal, or I will bite you to prove you wrong.

NoGyroApproach
Raven
Raven

27 Aug 2012, 7:31 am

Significant social impairment, in my opinion, means you are unable to communicate your wants and needs to others to the point that it is debilitating. Meaning if you are an adult, you are unable to hold a job not because you are not intelligent enough but because your social imparment gets you fired. If you are a student, you may not beable to handle a mainstream classroom setting, not because you cannot due the work but because your parents and/or teachers feel the social part of a mainstream classroom is too much for you.

I am not a doctor or any sort of professional in this field. It is only my opinion. I don't like gray areas either and I like to have distinct lines of definitions when possible.

I think there are many people with aspergers that have social problems but are not to the point of impairment. They are able to maintain a job, have a girl/boy friend, wife/husband. In other words they understand enough about society that they are able to interact/communicate enough with people to live their own lives.

I hope this is helpful to you.

UDAspie13
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Aug 2012, 7:48 am

LalaKitty wrote:
A big no no in a social gathering or something?? Oh, well, when you obviously don't know how to act in a social situation! xD
Like me, for example, I tend to bite people (not hygienic, I know) and wonder (like you! :D) and do a lot of random things/acts... like kicking a wall repetitively or poking my peers or.. well, just anything that doesn't seem normal whilst with a social group ^.^

I haven't really bitten anyone (recently, at least) I occasionally lick people randomly and I don't really think about it if I do then I don't do it. Sigh. I have some friends and they like me. Their parents like me. They think I'm sweet. :lol:

LalaKitty

27 Aug 2012, 7:51 am

UDAspie13 wrote:
LalaKitty wrote:

I haven't really bitten anyone (recently, at least) I occasionally lick people randomly and I don't really think about it if I do then I don't do it. Sigh. I have some friends and they like me. Their parents like me. They think I'm sweet. :lol:

Lol, I don't really care what they think when I bite them xD
My friends parents like me too, they think I'm sweet also! :twisted: Haha, if only they knew..

Don't ever call me normal, or I will bite you to prove you wrong.

onks
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Sep 2012, 12:30 pm

UDAspie13 wrote:
Its a very non-concrete term that is driving me NUTS!
I am somewhat socially impaired, but I don't know if it is 'significant.'
I don't function well in groups larger than five or six people.
I tend to wander.
Group conversations usually go something like:
Someone: So, what do you think?
Me:um, well [really lame answer] uh [really lame explanation]…
Someone: [expresses need for clarification]
Me: I've got it all worked out in my head. Just can't verbalize it.
I tend to poke people.... its FUN!! !! :lol:
And...yeah. I just want to know an example of 'significant social impairment'.
Thanks!! !! !! !!

1st meaning
Significant is everything that is realized by NTs.
Things that you would never dream off they could perceive and find to be important
Some more some less.

2nd meaning
A word that has been invented to prevent you to "get lazy" and just living from social welfare
A definition that is so advanced that you wonder how people with that kind of description could survive
Well, hopefully not the official definition, but I wouldnt be surprised

Dont know the exact definition and where the line goes.

treblecake
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Sep 2012, 12:18 am

I'd say it means that you make social mistakes which hurt people's feeling on a regular basis. Like not understanding a joke isn't hurting anyone but if like your friend gets cancer and you start blurting out the life expectancies of people with cancer I'd consider that social impairement.

UnLoser
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 1:01 am

Well, I'm usually very careful at not hurting people's feelings, and do an okay job at it. That doesn't mean I'm not significantly impaired. In the average school day, I'll say a couple dozen words total to my peers, and sit by myself at lunch. I don't choose to be that way, socializing is just HARD.

chaines321

07 Sep 2012, 3:13 am

Well here's some of my examples.
I'm 17 (18 in 3 months) and my mom, grandmom, or who ever is with me still needs to speak for me most or all of the time when we go somewhere. At a restaurant/fast food place, they usually say my order. At the doctors, they do most of the talking. I've had a whole doctors office cracking up laughing one time because my mom had me go in first to sign in and I can be so oblivious sometimes and all the conversation was- LADY: "Hi." ME: *Looks at her real quick then starts to sign in, about 5 secs later,* "WHAT?!" LADY: Stares at me scared like, then* "i said hi..." ME: "Oh......hi." Then they all start laughing. It was pretty funny, though. When I went to meetings for starting college, my grandmom came with me even though your supposed to do it yourself.

I would not be able to make it completely on my own because I just can't do social situation well. I honestly don't think I will ever be able to live on my own without someone else helping me along the way. That's what is considered significant social impairments.