Page 5 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 9:16 pm

I grew up with Smurfs cartoons and Garfield comics and Pac-Man. The 80's had some of the best toys ever, like Cabbage Patch Kids and My Little Pony and Strawberry Shortcake and He-Man and Transformers. Things were less complicated and anxiety-ridden back then...

Except for maybe the cold war and AIDS.

We didn't recycle, we just took our garbage out to be collected and that was that. Playing with lawn darts was still legal and acceptable even if the players had a few drinks. Kids were allowed to run around the neighborhood unsupervised. I would go to the beach in the summer and get completely brown. Now I look like a vampire. Didn't worry about cancer or ebola or swine flu or terrorists or climate change or getting old and people once said I had a bright future ahead of me because of my drawing and writing talents and I didn't have to take medication you know what every single thing sucks so bad now it's so depressing and I'm so anxious and uneasy why do we even continue to go on it's going to crap anyway kkhhhghn nb cvtftghjnv

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 12:26 am

Well, I was born in the early 90s and didn't actually live in or remember the 80s (or did I? :roll: )

But for my opinion...

The Good/Decent:
1. It was a technology golden era (I'd say that was one of the more redeeming qualities of that decade) 2. Music (meh, I guess-most of the songs from the 80s had the same generic sound for the time-but it had a few personal favorite gems of mine)
3. Less shock-value on the TV shows made back then-I actually think the abuse of shock value that came later on gave parents groups a reason to want to start lobbying and complaining. Funny, how are they listening to those groups now when TV today is so low-brow and dark, that they can't keep up with being the "for the children" police anymore.
4. Movies weren't always clean or innocent, even today some of them are still kind of sketchy. I'm not really the "inappropriate content" police, but at least they were more personally responsible for the way those movies were promoted then.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 1:18 am

B19 wrote:
Huge shoulder pads in fashion for women - the most awful fashion trend after 1970s hotpants.

As a hetro guy liked the hotpants fad. :D

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

B19
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 1:35 am

Now why doesn't that surprise me :)

I never wore them, though I did once go to a fancy dress party in the 80s dressed as Wonder Woman :)

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 9:06 am

Hotpants always seemed more 70s to me. They took off around 1973 and remained in fashion till the very early 80s. 80s was more aerobic wear.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 9:33 am

The 1980s were good for me. The thing I remember most about that decade is my beautiful cat, Samantha. She was born in 1979 and lived to be 20 years of age.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

21 Sep 2017, 3:34 pm

LegoMaster2149 wrote:
equestriatola wrote:
I felt I had to do it. Given that I am a 1980s fanboy (centering around pop culture, sports and msuic), I am going to post this here, since there is no forum here specifically for history.

What did the 1980s tell us? It was a crazy time. Crazy hair, movies, music....... it was when everyone went nuts at the same time. It was also when the Cold War was at its height, and when sports stars were larger than life. Anyone wanted to be somebody in pop culture then.

Who here has memories of this decade, and what can ya tell me about this decade?

The 1980's is my favorite decade! ;) I know I wasn't born at that time, but the culture, tech, and other things are so interesting to look at! :D

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on September 20, 2017)

Fantastic! :D

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."