Page 1 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

06 Sep 2012, 6:15 am

A semi-related note: I love Hot Tub Time Machine. :D

BrokenBill
Toucan
Toucan

06 Sep 2012, 9:02 am

Kawasaki GPZ1000RX-A2 :heart:
and
Sequential fuel injection :hail:
and
Syncronous fuel injection on Mitsubish Turbo Cordia GSR with (wait for it) 6 fault codes from the ECU 8O

Had to be there I guess. LOL

You are very likely an Aspie

Last edited by BrokenBill on 06 Sep 2012, 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MirrorWars
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 10:57 am

Talking of Hot Tub Time Machine, I have been trying to work out whether or not to rent it on DVD.

Is it worth watching?

Nymeria8
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 4:36 pm

Neon was in style, Transformers was popular, and Cyndi Lauper was cooler than Madonna. Way to recycle America!

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 4:44 pm

I love how, even though I didn't consciously experience the 80s, I could walk into a toy store in 1994, and there'd still be 10-year old toys of Jazz, Bumblebee, and Starscream. THAT's how huge Transformers were. People say it was a fad that had a new batch of toys out every year, but those toys had staying power. I was born 3 years after Transformers first hit the small screen, yet I grew up in a time when it was still EVERYWHERE and the toy stores were a Mecca for the fans. Get it, Mecca - 'mecha'? Eh, forget it.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

06 Sep 2012, 7:07 pm

MirrorWars wrote:
Talking of Hot Tub Time Machine, I have been trying to work out whether or not to rent it on DVD.

Is it worth watching?

Yes, yes, and yes.

japan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Sep 2012, 10:44 pm

Nymeria8 wrote:
Neon was in style, Transformers was popular, and Cyndi Lauper was cooler than Madonna. Way to recycle America!

You Rock...Cyndi Lauper is the best!

SavageMessiah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Sep 2012, 10:45 pm

MirrorWars wrote:
Wow, the 1980's.

I loved the decade so, so much.

I went from aged ten, to twenty, during the 80's & I loved every minute of it.

The music was excellent the fashion was eclectic ( white toweling headband, anyone? Perhaps that was just me. Whoops! ), it was a crazy time, and the last decade before health & safety went overboard ( I'm specifically looking at Britain with that one ).

I, personally, did and wore, things that I should regret. Thankfully the evidence seems to have disappeared. It was such a fresh, modern and electric, time. I wish that it could have lasted forever.

I still listen to the music, wear the fashions ( some of 'em ) & watch the films, while reliving the personal memories of those days in my head.

And Group B Rally cars roamed the earth, before getting banned for killing people.

They were incredible cars. Wow! I rewatch their footage on Youtube almost daily.

In summary, the 80's were INCREDIBLE!

Group B Woot! I watched Ari Vatanen take Pikes Peak in his Peugeot 405T16 just yesterday.

I also watch a lot of hillclimb videos from today. Bruno Ianniello (Lancia Delta S4) and Niki Zlatkov (Audi Quattro S1 replica) are fun to watch...

Lest we forget the Ford RS200.. 0-60 In 2.1 seconds!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 12:29 am

my highs and lows were in the 80s. i was homeless at various 1980s points. was in the military in the middle of 'em. it was a hardscrabble time for me. i didn't especially care for most of the music, it was aural wallpaper for me at best. my youth was in the 80s, for better or worse.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 2:09 am

equestriatola wrote:
Who here has memories of this decade, and what can ya tell me about this decade?

oh boy, how about i share a few pics from the 80s to give you an idea what it was like for me.

in this picture, i'm wearing a fluorescent shirt with random numbers on it. i have heavy eye makeup with no lipstick and light blush, but also heavy foundation/base. i am wearing mismatched earrings. one is a small colourful stud and the other one is shaped like a large pink foot. i was bullied for wearing those jeans at school - they were sort of "napped" because the warp threads were blue and the weft threads were yellow. so they appeared greenish at a distance. apparently not cool).

i am wearing popular big-rimmed plastic glasses that kind of angle downward at the sides. WHAM! was really big at that time. we thought he was straight.

in this one, i am wearing a "crop top" and high waisted shorts that we called "jams" (they were stolen from surf culture and usually had graphic prints on them). on my feet i have a knock-off version of Vans - men's casual canvas shoes. my hair was "feathered" - a style that was hard to maintain with the ineffective hairsprays of the day. that summer we listened to Platinum Blonde.

this was our computer - a Texas Instruments model (TI-99/4A) with a television for a monitor. you can see a tape recorder for saving data. we eventually got an expansion box with more memory, and a modem that was essentially useless. my mom used the modem to work remotely for a company, doing their bookkeeping. we obsessively played Parsec and text-based games on it.

this was our betamax. we had hundreds of tapes that we played over and over again. it was easy to record off the television back then, so any movies that were played on antenna or cable channels could be saved for later.

we were lucky in my house, because we had the betamax and cable and computer. but we mostly played differently back then, when we weren't reading a book or whatever. in the summertime/during days off/in the evenings on warm days we were expected to play outside (our parents sent us out).

there wasn't as much of a worry about safety so kids would wander down the alley or go on a bike ride or off to a playground or to the projects to find friends to play with. we didn't have a playground too close by, so we'd go garbage picking for treasures in the alleyway or we'd even go to the cemetery to read headstones and hang out (hence the picture).

some of our favourite shows on television were Battle of the Planets (aka G-Force), The Cosby Show, Different Strokes, The Love Boat, Fantasy Island, stuff like that.

sorry if this was boring. i am not sure what you wanted to know.

MirrorWars
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 2:09 pm

equestriatola wrote:
MirrorWars wrote:

Is it worth watching?

Yes, yes, and yes.

Good, good & good.

I like Cusack & I'm a big Chase fan.

MirrorWars
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 2:21 pm

SavageMessiah wrote:
MirrorWars wrote:
Wow, the 1980's.

I loved the decade so, so much.

I went from aged ten, to twenty, during the 80's & I loved every minute of it.

The music was excellent the fashion was eclectic ( white toweling headband, anyone? Perhaps that was just me. Whoops! ), it was a crazy time, and the last decade before health & safety went overboard ( I'm specifically looking at Britain with that one ).

I, personally, did and wore, things that I should regret. Thankfully the evidence seems to have disappeared. It was such a fresh, modern and electric, time. I wish that it could have lasted forever.

I still listen to the music, wear the fashions ( some of 'em ) & watch the films, while reliving the personal memories of those days in my head.

And Group B Rally cars roamed the earth, before getting banned for killing people.

They were incredible cars. Wow! I rewatch their footage on Youtube almost daily.

In summary, the 80's were INCREDIBLE!

Group B Woot! I watched Ari Vatanen take Pikes Peak in his Peugeot 405T16 just yesterday.

I also watch a lot of hillclimb videos from today. Bruno Ianniello (Lancia Delta S4) and Niki Zlatkov (Audi Quattro S1 replica) are fun to watch...

Lest we forget the Ford RS200.. 0-60 In 2.1 seconds!

Yeah, I love all that stuff. I'm always watching Group B videos on Youtube.

I used to see the cars in the flesh, so to speak, when I was a teenager. The town where I live & the nearby city, were hubs for the RAC, Rally year in, year out, during the 1980's.

In those days the rallies went on right through the night too. It was incredible.

It makes me well-up sometimes. I can't believe that Group B actually happened.

The sound, the looks of the cars, the speed. Just mind blowing.

I'm glad you appreciate it too.

Nymeria8
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 4:51 pm

japan wrote:
Nymeria8 wrote:

You Rock...Cyndi Lauper is the best!

Thank you. I never got into the other 2 things (then or now), but Cyndi still has a place in heart.

Sorry Transformers fans but I am a ThunderCats fan til death.

tantopat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Sep 2012, 5:44 pm

I was born in 1986, so I have very vague memories of being a toddler and watching She-Ra, Thundercats, Raggy Dolls and Transformers (as well as many other cartoons which I won't list due to not wanting to take up too much space). I love watching intros to cartoons that I used to love, and seeing the cartoons that I used to love back then is always nice. Other than that, I also have faint memories of some of the music, mainly things like "Eternal Flame" by The Bangles, "You're The Voice" by John Farnham (my first ever favourite song, although back then I called it the "Woah-Woah" song) and "We Close Our Eyes" by Go West. (Sadly I don't have any real memories of the fashions back then, other than my Mum and her best friend both having perms, and my Mum wearing jackets with huge shoulderpads - I used to dress up in them when she wasn't wearing them. :P) I feel rather fascinated by the era now, and I love watching 80s sci-fi and fantasy films and listening to hair metal on vinyl. :)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2012, 3:39 am

hyperlexian wrote:
oh boy, how about i share a few pics from the 80s to give you an idea what it was like for me.

thanx :o that was a graphic trip down memory lane :)

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2012, 3:53 am

auntblabby wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

thanx :o that was a graphic trip down memory lane :)

heeheehee you're welcome. i have been processing old negatives so i had photos at the ready.