Page 3 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

sisymay
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Oct 2012, 11:12 pm

Well, most of the 80's were a bad time for me. Serious problems caused by other people. I don't remember much.
What I remember the most is the clothes styles kept changing, a lot. There were the bright colors (clothes on Family Matters, etc) parachute pants, acid wash jeans, Shirts that buttoned up the back and had tux tails, Skirts with ruffles, girls (me too) wore plaid shirts in pretty colors, with lace collar,
I LOVED the music! Def Leppard - greatest band ever!!
There were so many hair bands . They didn't call them that back then, though.
Casette tapes took over record albums. The game rooms- pinball machines and the pac man machine and lots of others I can't remember. This was the teen hangout.
Big eyeglasses! Ugly! You didn't think of it back then though. Or the big hair, either.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

13 Oct 2012, 9:27 pm

Does anybody remember that great 1980s game show Press Your Luck?

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 5:21 am

Just watching Press Your Luck to me is a 1980s timetrip in itself. :D

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

14 Dec 2012, 2:32 pm

My favorite things about the 80's are the Cartoons. He-Man and Voltron were the pinnicle of a childs viewing pleasure back then and still is

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 1:51 am

Talk about the 80's? I could be here forever.. :lol:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 2:01 am

i like 80s-era caddilacs.

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 5:33 pm

I also don't remember much of the 80s. My brain has archived that data due to abuse.

What I do miss is the peace and quiet. I feel much more "social" overload these days. Maybe part of that is just growing up?

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 10:29 pm

Part of me wishes time travel were possible...... so I'd live in the 1980s. :D

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 7:35 am

I love the 80s. Someone told me that I was born on the wrong decade (early 90s) but I like it that way so all music can be heared on youtube/phone whatever. What the 80s lacked that we have today? Internet and cell phones (and probably more, but from a 90s kid perspective.... oh well).

Music wise 80s was a good decade. I feel like music has been regressing.... ; Like in the classical music era you had to be virtuose to play some hard pieces. But as time progressed instrumentalists and singers had an easier role. Now you just have to record some tracks put some effects, auto-tune, sample and remix a bit.... not that I have anything against that but IMO it's much less authentic knowing everything in the 80s was played live. I mean c'mon who doesn't want an analog synth? it literally produces the sound out of itself therefore is a REAL instrument like a guitar and unlike those digital sampled keyboards of today. 80s was a great decade for electronic music, it was melodic, with actual lyrics and gentle warm sounds.... I mean even the drums were synthesized! Nowdays electronic music is less about words and more about commercial success. And the clips, oh god what classics! almost no boobies or naked girls AFAIK (maybe cept Sabrina).

Fashion wise some people say it was a disaster but some others like it. I like it and the 80s in general mainly because I WASN'T there... I was born abit later so I think it was cool seeing all the clips and movies and all.

90s were also good, less good music but some wicked computer games, I think the 90s were the best decade for computer games (which I used to play up until a few years ago) like Doom, Captain Claw and Jazz the rabbit. But that's another thread haha ;)

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Mar 2013, 9:57 am

I was a teenager in the 80s... I lived in Los Angeles at the time, and I remember the mid-80s as being one of the high-spirit, happy, and successful times for most people. The 1984 Olympics brought tons of money and attention to LA, and everything was fixed up and clean, and all of the roads were repaved, etc. America was proud of the Space Shuttle, and we had my favorite (and the favorite of many Americans; Republican AND Democrat), President Ronald Reagan. He had a way about him, whereby he could take a difficult situation and make us have a positive outlook anyway.

Technology was a big thing for me too in the 80s... Cordless phones, Car phones, pocket TV sets, and in the late 80s, the "affordable" computers started to come out. I had some personal bad things happen in the late 80s, but over all, the 80s may have been my most fun decade. I graduated from high school in '85, and got a good job, and had good income, nice cars (even at age 18 ), and felt like I had it all.

Charles

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 11:55 am

In addition to all the awesome shows, movies, music and home computer/game systems already mentioned, one of my favorite memories of the 80's is that arcade video games were insanely popular and machines were placed everywhere! I spent every spare moment in the arcades or wherever the games could be found... time well wasted! :)
(Of course, my peers were starting to date at that time... I missed out on a lot of that socializing n' stuff...)

neurodeviant
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 4:59 pm

I was born in 1984, so I don't have too many memories of living in the 80s, although some of my earliest memories involve playing with my cousins' computers, playing games like Dizzy.

My favourite songs at the time included 'Karma Chameleon' by Culture Club, and 'China In Your Hand' by T'Pau.

I like the 80s, but I'm more of a 90s person myself.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 11:35 pm

It was acceptable in the 80s
It was acceptable at the time
I got love for you if you were born in the 80s, the 80s
I've got hugs for you if you were born in the 80s, the 80s
I'll do things for you if you were born in the 80s, the 80s
I've got hugs for you if you were born in the 80s, yeah! 8)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOV5WXISM24[/youtube]
song made in 2007 :lol:

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2013, 12:03 am

Anybody got any other 1980s stories?

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2013, 1:21 pm

I enjoyed many of the songs of the 80s. I started listening to 80s music when I was 13. My favorite music artists from the 80s include Michael Jackson, Madonna, Pat Benatar, Cyndi Lauper, Journey, Styx, Heart, Men At Work, Go-Go's, The Police, Talking Heads, REO Speedwagon, .38 Special, Billy Idol, and many more.

I also had many childhood memories from the 80s. I grew up with Super Mario Bros., ALF, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Ghostbusters.

Some of my favorite movies are from the 80s. I like Ferris Bueller's Day Off,Ghostbusters, Revenge of the Nerds, Stripes, and Spaceballs, just to name a few.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 5:14 pm

equestriatola wrote:
I felt I had to do it. Given that I am a 1980s fanboy (centering around pop culture, sports and msuic), I am going to post this here, since there is no forum here specifically for history.

What did the 1980s tell us? It was a crazy time. Crazy hair, movies, music....... it was when everyone went nuts at the same time. It was also when the Cold War was at its height, and when sports stars were larger than life. Anyone wanted to be somebody in pop culture then.

Who here has memories of this decade, and what can ya tell me about this decade?

The 1980's is my favorite decade! ;) I know I wasn't born at that time, but the culture, tech, and other things are so interesting to look at! :D

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on September 20, 2017)