Do Aspies have a hard time finding jobs?

Page 4 of 6 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Space
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 7:46 pm

Also I think getting promoted would be harder than getting the initial job. Promotions eventually lead to management and I would be very surprised if many AS end up there.

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 9:54 pm

Space wrote:
Also I think getting promoted would be harder than getting the initial job. Promotions eventually lead to management and I would be very surprised if many AS end up there.

And there is an other factor: A promotion is the result of performance and politics (aka networking). For my part I had mostly the impression that politics are more important.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2009, 12:57 pm

Dussel wrote:
Space wrote:

And there is an other factor: A promotion is the result of performance and politics (aka networking). For my part I had mostly the impression that politics are more important.

Yes. There are 2 ways to get promoted: either far outperform everybody, or have connections and be in with the right people. Most people do the latter. That's why I don't think corporate/bureaucratic jobs are good for AS people UNLESS you are content to work at an entry level position your whole life, which may happen. In trades jobs, you will probably never be a foreman or run a company if you have AS, but you will make more money in the initial tiers and have better job security.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2009, 9:51 pm

I think it would depend on the extent one has AS, and the level of education.

poker_face
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Feb 2009, 6:22 pm

I have a problem with interviews in that I do not react well with the interviewer. I sometimes think maybe I should tell them ok I do not come across very well at interviews however on paper I am articulate, I am a good time keeper, hard working and a big picture thinker. Basically demonstrate that although my social skills may not be that of a neurotypical I have attributes that compensate. After all at the moment I am going for jobs where the majority of the work does not involve dealing with people. Any comments or suggests.

CMaximus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Feb 2009, 1:03 pm

I think one problem I have is my resume is all a bunch of entry-level items, which is a hard mold to break out of.

Also, I have to remind myself not to fall into despair over every little setback, and not get overwhelmed by the situations that present themselves in the first place.

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2009, 2:18 pm

CMaximus wrote:
I think one problem I have is my resume is all a bunch of entry-level items, which is a hard mold to break out of.

Don't lie in your CV (for the US: Resume), but reconsider the exact wording:

If you job title includes the wording "junior", is it really necessary to repeat this? Can you find wordings which do not give away in the very first read that it was a junior position? If you were not responsible for decision making in a job, but you can perhaps safely write that you learned (or even influenced) the decision making process?

For example: I had a brief time in the B-2-B sector as a developer support engineer and I was a lousy support engineer and I was a junior member of the team. Do I write this in my CV? No! I write that I was support engineer, I gained experience in B-2-B technologies and in the working of support teams. Not a lie, the true. I would not apply for support role again, but this is an other issue.

CMaximus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Feb 2009, 4:20 pm

Aw, yeah... the old putting-the-words "technician" or "engineer" and-whatnot-at-the-end-of-everything trick, right? I got 'ya, heh-heh! :wink:

cassandra
Raven
Raven

14 Feb 2009, 12:06 pm

I think it depends on the type of job. From experience, I have found working in the electronics, IT or engineering profession seems best suited. Ironically, I discovered that alot of people with AS do go into these fields so you will be able to get on better with them in the workplace.

I have had a few nightmare jobs such as secretarial work where I had to greet guests make coffee etc etc... and it just didn't work out.

CRACK
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2009, 2:02 pm

Space wrote:

Damn right it would be. But that doesn't concern me. The idea of being somebody's "boss" or "manager" sounds far too intimidating to me.

Sometimes I have this irrational fear that I'm going to impress people with my work performance more than I expected and get a promotion into a management position thrown at me, and me be all like...8O... but I doubt it works that way IRL unless a company is doing horrible.

invisiblem0nsters
Toucan
Toucan

22 Feb 2009, 7:28 pm

i just scored a library job through my mental health resource center. 8)

MrMisanthrope
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Feb 2009, 4:02 pm

dimensionaltraveler wrote:
...Have you had a hard time finding a job or have been discriminated because you have Asperger... Has it been a difficulty keeping a job because of your Aspergers?

I have never, in 25 years of on and off employment, gotten a job from a resume, active "networking" or an interview.

Never. People have hired me blind because they heard I had a skill set, but I never had to fill out an app, interview or otherwise gladhandle anyone.

After being RiFed from the Army (the only decent job I ever had) I took the poisoned bait and went into crushig debt to get a degree - one that was supposed to pay for the debt. Right.

8 years later the best I've been able to do is Temp & (eventually) work as an office boy for a failing architectural firm.

IMO the entire "process" for looking for work is in violent opposition to the AS trait set finally defined by my PsyD. Not that I can't work I just can't get hired through any traditional means - and god knows I've tried.

True Liberty Expressed as Fiction: http://www.bigheadpress.com/tpbtgn

Amicitia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Feb 2009, 11:30 pm

MrMisanthrope wrote:
IMO the entire "process" for looking for work is in violent opposition to the AS trait set finally defined by my PsyD. Not that I can't work I just can't get hired through any traditional means - and god knows I've tried.

Exactly the problem. I know I'm competent, but I have no skill at making people believe I'm competent. I really wish someone would give me a trial period instead of an interview.

JDoherty
Toucan
Toucan

23 Feb 2009, 11:46 pm

I have recently get shortlisted for interviews (even asked to attend a formal interview after they narrowed the candidate list down following an informal one) but that's where I seem to stop. I wonder if I have troubles during interviews.

I say anything that is wanted from the interviewers but still get over-looked. How could I find the weak points and then manage them?

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 12:57 am

a lot of people are having troubles finding jobs

MrMisanthrope
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Feb 2009, 7:56 am

Eggman wrote:
a lot of people are having troubles finding jobs

Yes, the current economy sucks. But most people don't have professional job hunts jasting moer than 8 years.

Like the poster above... if I get a trial, I become irreplaceable in a hurry. Most places are too interested in filling the correct checkbox on an app/govt form though. So I got an official ADA compliant diagnosis. Most companies think that's a good checkbox to fill.

True Liberty Expressed as Fiction: http://www.bigheadpress.com/tpbtgn