Do Aspies have a hard time finding jobs?

Page 6 of 6 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 10:50 am

They do discriminate against autistic people finding jobs. I've had atleast 2 jobs denied because the application asked me if I had any disabilities and I had to be honest and tell it yes. Then when I called the place to inquire what they mean when they ask that they went on to say that they don't generally take on people when they find out they have a disability because they are a liability and they don't know how to accommodate for the disability.

Darkrose50
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Sep 2017, 3:15 pm

I do not interview well. I normally get hired in groups of people. My current job hires hundreds of temps for the busy season. Basically if you can pass the insurance exams, then you get hired as a temp. Some folks then get hired on permanently.

My Aspergers' kicked in and I listened to the supervisors literally. Most people did not. The supervisors did not even believe what they said, but somehow it worked. They told me that this list was super duper important. I emailed and called the people, everyone else just called the people (if that). I emailed all the people on the list eventually. When these folks called in to get insurance from me, then it was somehow extra-credit. A good rate was 40%, and I was normally getting over 100% (sometimes super high like 400%). I brought up the teams average, and the supervisor was thrilled. I was in the top 20% sales wise, in the top 10% conversion wise, had 100% attendance, and worked about 150-hours of overtime over 12-weeks. one week i worked 90-hours and started to hallucinate.

At the end of the contract I was over the moon just to be hired on and have a job (I thought I was unemployable at points in my life). I ended up being selected as an MVP, got a raise, got an award, and a trip to the Bahamas. I basically worked all the hours I could and tried my best.

I noticed some pattern where at 4:00 PM the phone volume would drop by something like 80% to 90% . . . the client was turning off call forwarding for the main numbers at EXACTLY 4:00 PM. We went from calls to no-calls at EXACTLY 4:00 PM everyday. We were open until 7:00 PM, and often until 9:00 PM or 11:00 PM! It took MANY attempts, but someone eventually listened to me. This year, I hope, we will likely make a great many more sales. I would have effectively had THREE more hours a day to sell as I was on the late shift normally leaving at 7:00 PM.

My manager told me to apply for a manager's position on 07-02-2017. I will have to wait to see if I am selected.

Oh . . . this whole thing was rather quite random. My wife found the job posting and asked if I wanted to give it a try. I did, and it worked out. You need to try to get lucky! Make your own luck!

Dunsparce
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Sep 2017, 2:41 pm

I had a lot of trouble finding a job after I graduated. It took me months to get one. I like my work but I wish I can get a better one. I'm a Graphic Designer and where I live you're lucky enough if you get a job. I still search on the newspaper but nothing's coming up. Guess I'll be stuck there for a while.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 3:25 pm

It's very rare that I come across a job advertisement that doesn't say "must have excellent communication skills", "must be able to multitask", and "must be able to work under pressure".

Working under pressure causes me a great deal of stress and can trigger a panic attack. Not only that, but I can get forgetful too, and make mistakes.

I would go for a job that requires communication skills if it is a job that does not involve interaction with the public. I've worked in retail before and I found it so hard to talk to customers, but easy to talk to colleagues.

Multitasking is a strange thing with me. I tend to multitask a lot when not realising, but if I have to multitask under pressure, or having to think of several different things at once, that is when I get stressed.

This is the problem with me. I can look after myself. I can make my own decisions. I can go out and get on buses alone. I can do shopping on my own. I am happily in a healthy romantic relationship. But I just find the working world absolutely stressful.
You'd have thought that these days more places would be disability friendly. I mean, in the UK, we live in a diverse society. It's not like 40 years ago when everybody with a disability was classed as "stupid". These days you'd have thought things would get easier. I think all firms should be taught about disabilities and have a policy where they should give people who struggle a chance.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 3:41 pm

Goodness knows I have trouble finding a job. It took me six months of applying to places and hearing nothing back to get even what I had. One place gave me a preliminary interview, which I promptly failed because I have a tremor that was particularly bad that day and made me look a lot more nervous than I was, and another gave me a part-time cleaning job at a retail store. I applied to over thirty other places and didn't hear a thing back from any of them. I was kind of trying to find a better job, or at least another crappy part-time job in addition to the one I had, for the year I had that job, but I didn't hear a thing back from anywhere I applied to. Three weeks or so ago I lost my job because the company was sold, and I'm back to applying to places and hearing nothing back. It's very frustrating - I really want to be able to support myself and live on my own, but I can't do that if I can't make enough (or any, now) money.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"