Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

daniel3103
Raven
Raven

02 Sep 2012, 9:56 am

I've been trying for a while to find resources about understanding people, and I am still looking. I have found a few books and websites that seek to explain how people perceive the world, why they behave the way they do, what makes them tick and what makes them stick, etc. Many of these books and websites are very good - I have mentioned some titles in a previous post - , but the problem is that, because none of them is aimed at an autistic audience, they probably don't tell us some important things that we need to know: some things are obvious to most people, but not to us!

Does anybody know about any resources aimed at people on the autistic spectrum, explaining other people to us? I have found a short piece here: http://www.aspergerfoundation.org.uk/in ... guide7.pdf (starting on page 7), but nothing else. Does anybody know of any more resources?

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 2:12 pm

There's a thread on the General Discussion forum about a book that's the best I've seen so far, but I don't remember the title of the thread or of the book...

In any case, I think if you understand informal hierarchy and conformism, you understand most there is to know.

Sidmor
Raven
Raven

03 Sep 2012, 4:07 am

Moondust wrote:
There's a thread on the General Discussion forum about a book that's the best I've seen so far, but I don't remember the title of the thread or of the book...

You are probably referring to this:

http://www.amazon.com/Field-Guide-Earth ... B004EPYUV2

It's indeed very informative, I think every Aspie should read it.

It may give rather a bleak impression of NTs, but you will understand their way of functioning more, and realize just how different we are from them. It will give you self-esteem though, because after understanding Neurotypicality better, you will see the NTs as a bit weaker and more predictable, while before they could have seemed confusing or even scary to an extent.

The bottom line is that we can never compete with the NTs in their own terms because our neurology isn't suited to their kind of socializing, and that you should start to pursue finding your Autistic identity rather than trying to mask yourself with NT behavioral skills as much as you may have been told to do/thought you should have done before.

It kind of gave me an ideology to be selective of company, aiming to hang out with other Aspies/Autistics rather than trying to please everyone/fit in everywhere in the Neurotypical world. I think it's the best way to deal with our neurotype.

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 11:16 am

Indeed. This is the link to the discussion, with some examples and insights.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt205307.html

daniel3103
Raven
Raven

03 Sep 2012, 11:52 am

Sidmor wrote:

Thank you! This is the kind of book I was looking for.