Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DigitalDesperado
Raven
Raven

05 Sep 2012, 4:42 pm

I like birds of prey, but I don't like them so much when they are terrorizing the birds in my yard. I know it's just the way of nature but I wish the hawks would go be natural somewhere else.

A sparrowhawk has been hanging around my yard for the last three weeks and the other day I saw it with a mockingbird that it had just killed. I was able to get a picture if it. It was a sad sight, but I guess everyone has to eat.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 7:23 pm

Do you have any crows around? If you feed them they will run off the hawks.A man that raised Pidgeons told me that and it works.I've been feeding some for a few years and they know me now and wait in the trees for me to put out corn and bread.But they aren't around 24/7 so I do have hawks that sneak around( beautiful ) and I had a barred owl that was here for years and I've got lots of cool pics of her,she would let me get so close.I miss her and hope some jerk didn't shoot her.We called her Who.

Albirea
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Cannot be determined due to excessive knowledge of momentum

05 Sep 2012, 8:45 pm

Robdemanc wrote:
Albirea wrote:
I love birds. They're one of my regular interests.

If you go on my DeviantArt account at http://phoenixcelestius.deviantart.com you can see my bird drawings. Yes, I reactivated it again just so that other people can look at my stuff. I won't be on, though.

I like your artwok Albirea, you have a good hand for it. The website is good too, did you build it yourself?
Thank you! No, I didn't build the actual website myself - my page is part of a website called DeviantArt, where anyone can create an account and upload artwork.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2012, 3:58 pm

The baby blackbirds grew up well and are now strong and energetic. I feed them mealworms and the love it. But I think the two doves had chicks but the chicks may have been eaten.

The sparrowhawk still glides above and sometimes comes down like a dart but often misses the birds.

There is also a baby robin that is always coming at me for seeds and mealworms. It sits on the fence and chirps until I go out and feed it now. I don't know what I got myself into...

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2012, 9:24 pm

Glad to hear most of the birdies made it.If you are in an area that gets really cold or dry a heated birdbath in winter and a water source in summer will bring lots of birds that you don't usually see.We had a bad drought this summer and I had a lot of feathered friends at the birdbath.You do have to do a little extra work such as changing the water so that it's clean and mosquitoes don't hatch.I put out black oil sunflower seed,suet cakes,and hen scratch.I buy in 50lb bags at the feed store,it's cheaper that way if you figure by the pound plus I don't have to go to the store as often.I have goldfinches,cardinals,titmice,chickadees,jays,assorted sparrows plus the humming birds and their feeder,and many others.Even the crows enjoy the snacks I put out for them!It's been fun watching them bring their babies to the feeders.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 3:57 pm

Its good if you can get cheaper stuff and for the winter its worthwhile to buy bulk. I have become a little intrigued by the birds and the way they interact with me and each other. They fight over what I give them even though there is plenty. Some of them appear to look at me as if they don't know what to make of me, others demand my attention and fly straight for me. One of the doves will hover around my bedroom window if I don't go down to feed it.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 3:58 pm

I enjoy putting out bird seed and watching them eat it up.
Had to switch to the backyard as the pigeons were making a mess on the front porch.