Page 1 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jitro
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 11:42 pm

This Christian question. What nonsense is it. Of course I haven't been born again. I was only born once.

Alfonso12345
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Sep 2012, 11:55 pm

If someone has been born again, well... I feel sorry for their mother...

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 7:34 am

Once, was quite enough.

ruveyn

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 8:17 am

Got it right the first time.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 10:01 am

Alfonso12345 wrote:
If someone has been born again, well... I feel sorry for their mother...

I feel sorry for the children of the mother who's been "born again". (Reference to a blisteringly hot thread that was in the Parents forum recently)

Theuniverseman
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Sep 2012, 10:08 am

I'm a born again atheist.

Systemizing quotient - 52
Aspie-quiz ? AS: 151 NT: 61

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 1:27 pm

Jitro wrote:
This Christian question. What nonsense is it. Of course I haven't been born again. I was only born once.

"Born again" was meant to be a creative expression, and it was given new life in the '60s. Since then, it has been thrown around so much that it has been trivialized.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 1:29 pm

No. Being born once was more than enough for me...

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 2:23 pm

Those of you who say they were "born right the first time", you might change your tune when you get the joy of dying twice. Those of us who have been born again will only die once. The second death Im reffering to is spiritual death.

Born Once... Die Twice
Born Twice... Die Once

Id rather die once.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 2:48 pm

thechadmaster wrote:
Those of you who say they were "born right the first time", you might change your tune when you get the joy of dying twice. Those of us who have been born again will only die once.

Evidence, please?

In Christianity, to be born again is to undergo a "spiritual rebirth" (regeneration) of the human soul or spirit, contrasted with the physical birth everyone experiences. The origin of the term "born again" is the New Testament (John 3:3, NIV):

Apostle John wrote:
"Jesus replied, 'Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God without being born again.'"

It is a term associated with salvation in Christianity. Individuals who profess to be born again often state that they have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

Unfortunately, there is little apparent difference in the behavior of "Born-Agains" from their "pre-natal" state. They still lie, they still abuse, they still break the Commandments; the only difference is that they seem to treat their new status as a spiritual "Get Out of Hell Free" card. Or, as was put to me by another Born-Again Christian:

Once Saved, Always Saved!
Once Saved, Never Sinned!

It as if the most heinous of atrocities can be committed by a "Saved" person, with their full knowledge that God will not punish them for it.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Last edited by Fnord on 06 Sep 2012, 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 2:50 pm

thechadmaster wrote:
Those of you who say they were "born right the first time", you might change your tune when you get the joy of dying twice. Those of us who have been born again will only die once. The second death Im reffering to is spiritual death.

Born Once... Die Twice
Born Twice... Die Once

Id rather die once.

Luckily for me, I've never been "spiritual", superstitious, or mentally-prone to related gookery.

Religion: cutting your finger, then selling you a band-aid.

to his Interest."

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 5:46 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:

Luckily for me, I've never been "spiritual", superstitious, or mentally-prone to related gookery.

Religion: cutting your finger, then selling you a band-aid.

Lucky? For this week maybe. I doubt youll be feeling lucky come judgement day. You can deny God's existence all you want, the truth is the truth even when nobody believes it.

What a hollow worldview you must have... 80ish years on earth followed by an eternity of nothing? I could never imagine that thought process. Whats your motivation to do good as opposed to bad?

Fnord

Unfortunately, you're right. All Christians at one point or another use salvation as a mere "get out of hell free card". I am no different, God expects us to lead Godly lives, but realizes that we cannot attain His perfect standards, thats why we need Jesus. Through the cross He basically traded criminal records with us. He gives us a clean slate in God's book of every sin ever committed and accepted our extremely lengthy record and the punishment that goes along with it.

As a Christian I realize that it should have been me on the cross, it was my sin that Jesus suffered and died for. Had mankind never sinned, Jesus would not have endured what He did.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 5:52 pm

Certainly not in the evangelical sense.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 5:56 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Certainly not in the evangelical sense.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Youve said in the past you belong to the Lutheran Church. Have they recently abandoned their teachings on salvation? I know a former Lutheran, now Anglican Pastor who has always taught the need for being born again.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 5:59 pm

thechadmaster wrote:
Lucky? For this week maybe. I doubt youll be feeling lucky come judgement day. You can deny God's existence all you want, the truth is the truth even when nobody believes it.

What a hollow worldview you must have... 80ish years on earth followed by an eternity of nothing? I could never imagine that thought process. Whats your motivation to do good as opposed to bad?

What's your motivation to do good as opposed to bad, if I may ask back? Judgement day? The existance of a supreme being is not necessary to have a moral code.

TM
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 6:04 pm

No, I'm fairly sure it would greatly hurt my mother.