Page 133 of 154 [ 2450 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136 ... 154  Next

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

19 Aug 2018, 2:38 pm

The first ever audio film commentary came out way back in December 1984, when film historian Ronald Haver provided commentary for the Criterion Collection LaserDisc release (remember LaserDisc?) of the 1933 King Kong film.

As an added bonus, those first words ever were: "Hello ladies and gentlemen, I'm Ronald Haver, and I'm here to do something which we feel is rather unique. I'm going to take you on a lecture tour of King Kong as you watch the film. The laserdisc technology offers us this opportunity and we feel it's rather unique - the ability to switch back and forth between the soundtrack and this lecture track..."

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

LoneLoyalWolf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2018, 2:58 pm

Ravens are monogamous birds.

I love Ravens :heart:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2018, 4:20 pm

There is a Jersey Shore in....Pennsylvania!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2018, 6:00 pm

ravens have been known to develop emotional attachments to humans.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2018, 9:45 am

The tomato is a fruit, but in 1893 the US Supreme Court ruled that it should be classed as a vegetable for taxation purposes.

The largest tomato ever grown weighed 7lb 12oz.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2018, 12:53 pm

If you’re trying to tell the difference between a fossil and a rock, give it a lick. Because it’s so porous, bone becomes slightly sticky when wet- so if your tongue sticks to the specimen, there’s a good chance it’s a fossil.

graceksjp
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2018, 11:06 pm

Did you know human birth control pills can work on gorillas?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2018, 11:16 pm

the original CD Redbook disc format was proposed [by co-creator Phillips NV] to include quadraphonic [4 channel] sound, but their developmental partner Sony vetoed this, because it would have reduced playing time to less than 40 minutes, Sony insisted on being able to hold a complete Beethoven's 9th symphony on one compact disc.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2018, 3:02 pm

Nikola Tesla once paid an overdue hotel bill with a ‘working model’ of his ‘death beam’. He warned the staff never to open it, describing it as a war-ending particle weapon that could stop invading armies and make warfare pointless. After his death in 1943, someone finally pried the box open and found nothing but a bunch of harmless old electrical components.

la_fenkis
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2018, 7:46 pm

auntblabby wrote:
the original CD Redbook disc format was proposed [by co-creator Phillips NV] to include quadraphonic [4 channel] sound, but their developmental partner Sony vetoed this, because it would have reduced playing time to less than 40 minutes, Sony insisted on being able to hold a complete Beethoven's 9th symphony on one compact disc.

I remember that story, its all because of the music obsessed Norio Ogha.

That's also the "Red Book" that gets mentioned in the movie Hackers. Why they would have a copy of it, I do not know...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2018, 9:43 pm

la_fenkis wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I remember that story, its all because of the music obsessed Norio Ogha. That's also the "Red Book" that gets mentioned in the movie Hackers. Why they would have a copy of it, I do not know...

that man lived his life in full. :wtg: RIP Norio San :hail: never saw the movie hackers but the red book specifications would be useful information in that regard.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2018, 8:15 pm

cathylynn wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
sitzpinkle is a german word meaning to pee while sitting down. it has also evolved into an insult.

because peeing like a woman is somehow bad?

exactly. I have read that that is one of the worst insults in Deutchland.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2018, 8:22 pm

"German chocolate cake" was not invented in the Fatherland, but in Oklahoma by a person named. Mr German.

In women's magazines in the Thirties and Forties it was even called "German's chocolate cake". By sometime in the Fifties they dropped the possessive.

However the Germans apparently have made at least one innovation in the area of ice cream, but it hasn't spread beyond Germany's borders.

That being making fake ice cream spaghetti. Vanilla ice cream is fashioned into the spaghetti strings, balls of chocolate are fashioned into faux meatballs, and strawberry ice cream plays the part of the tomato sauce that tops the whole thing. Its popular in Germany, but hasn't caught on elsewhere.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2018, 9:48 pm

the sweet spaghetti sounds wunderbar :chef:

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2018, 1:44 pm

A Quahar clam discovered in the sea off Iceland in 2006 was discovered in 2013 to have been 507 years old, by counting the rings on its shell. Unfortunately it was killed in the process. :pale:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ming_(clam)

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2018, 10:50 am

People who appreciate dark humor are more likely to have higher levels of intelligence.