Page 142 of 154 [ 2450 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145 ... 154  Next

la_fenkis
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2019, 4:12 pm

In September of 1859 a man named Joshua A. Norton from San Fransisco Proclaimed himself Emperor of the United States and later also to be Protector of Mexico. The citizens of the city loved him and he issued money that was honored in the restaurants he frequented. Police officers saluted him when they passed by. When he died over 10,000 people lined the streets to pay homage to him at his funeral. He has been the basis for characters made by Mark Twain, Robert Louis Stevenson, Christopher Moore, Morris and René Goscinny, Selma Lagerlöf, and Neil Gaiman. And he has become a "second-class saint" of Discordianism for living his life according to his own truth regardless of the reality of others.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2019, 10:42 pm

A treat at Quebec sugar bushes in the spring, in addition to maple syrup, are Oreilles de Crisse (French for "Christ's ears"). They are technically meat-free, that is: meat-free deep-fried pork fat! Sometimes pork skin is used, other times, it's pork belly (salt pork).

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2019, 2:49 pm

The California Republic lasted for only 25 days from June 14 1846- July 9, 1846.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2019, 7:32 pm

Poodles must be combed daily and trimmed frequently because their hair is more like human than other dog breeds, and never stops growing.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2019, 8:23 pm

la_fenkis wrote:
In September of 1859 a man named Joshua A. Norton from San Fransisco Proclaimed himself Emperor of the United States and later also to be Protector of Mexico. The citizens of the city loved him and he issued money that was honored in the restaurants he frequented. Police officers saluted him when they passed by. When he died over 10,000 people lined the streets to pay homage to him at his funeral. He has been the basis for characters made by Mark Twain, Robert Louis Stevenson, Christopher Moore, Morris and René Goscinny, Selma Lagerlöf, and Neil Gaiman. And he has become a "second-class saint" of Discordianism for living his life according to his own truth regardless of the reality of others.

Hey, I learned about that from the Sandman series!

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2019, 11:05 pm

Kuraudo7777 wrote:
la_fenkis wrote:

Hey, I learned about that from the Sandman series!

Ive heard about him.

He once dashed off a note to President Lincoln - it was an order to Lincoln to "marry Queen Victoria".

Don't know WHY Lincoln didn't carry it out. Sounds reasonable to me! :D

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

29 Mar 2019, 12:36 pm

Dutch trains now run entirely on wind energy. The wind powers 5,500 trips per day, enabling 600,000 daily train passengers to commute without any emissions. Over the course of an hour, a single windmill can power a train for 120 miles.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

la_fenkis
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2019, 4:43 pm

The line "Welcome to the desert of the real" from The Matrix is a reference to the "desert of the real" mentioned by French philosopher Jean Baudrillard in his book Simulacra and Simulation (which I have only read about, but not read). The phrase is also the title of a book by Slavoj Žižek, a Slovenian philosopher.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2019, 4:12 am

^lacanian school but i digress
finally found what that is
'we called it starseed, you see tiny starlike things inside huge gelatine like blubs, compartimentalised into one unit per star-thing
Pectinatella magnifica, the magnificent bryozoan, is a member of the Bryozoa phylum, in the order Plumatellida.
that's why nothing comes out of the 'supposed eggs',

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2019, 11:33 am

Medical error is estimated to be the 3rd biggest killer in the US. Researchers at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine concluded that over a quarter of a million people died in 2013 due to mistakes made by health care professionals. That number, which was based only on people who died inside a hospital, is more than double the number of suicides, firearm deaths, and motor vehicle fatalities combined.
(That number doesn’t account for those who died after they were mistakenly sent home. Medical error is not included in cause of death rankings or on death certificates, and these fatal mistakes often go unreported. This ultimately causes other medical professionals to encounter the same life-threatening mistakes because they’ve no examples to reference as a warning.)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2019, 11:43 am

There are three basic types of melanin: eumelanin, pheomelanin, and neuromelanin.

The most common type is eumelanin, of which there are two sub-types -- brown eumelanin and black eumelanin -- which are responsible for skin coloration.

Pheomelanin is a cysteine-derivative that contains polybenzothiazine portions that are largely responsible for the color of red hair, among other pigmentation.

Neuromelanin is found in the brain. Research has been undertaken to investigate its efficacy in treating neurodegenerative disorders such as Parkinson's.

Kenya
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2019, 4:53 pm

The role of Peter Pan/Banning in Hook was originally meant to be played by Michael Jackson before the part was rewritten for Robin Williams.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2019, 12:17 pm

In Japan, public napping is a sign of hard work. It’s called ‘inemuri,’ which means ‘sleeping on duty’ or ‘sleeping while present.’ Because falling asleep in public is thought to be a symptom of working yourself to exhaustion, it’s socially acceptable in restaurants, stores, commuter trains, and on park benches- as long as you don’t sprawl out and take up too much space.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2019, 7:06 pm

A Tonkinese cat is a cross between a Burmese and a Siamese.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2019, 10:24 am

An Ocicat is a cross between a Siamese/Oriental Shorthair and an Abyssinian.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2019, 4:57 pm

The game of Twister was first called Pretzel, but the name was changed when Milton Bradley acquired it. The game was a flop until Johnny Carson played it on his show with actress Eva Gabor, the audience went wild, and sales skyrocketed. Some stores still refused to sell ‘sex in a box,’ so MB advertised it as ‘fun for the whole family’ and tried to boost its image by depicting relatives of all ages getting into weird positions together.