Page 119 of 154 [ 2450 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122 ... 154  Next

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 6:28 pm

Salt is still used in Shinto purification rituals, including before sumo matches.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 10:24 pm

If you need to strip the paint off a car to the bare metal, expensive techniques or material are not necessary. All you need is some brake cleaner.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

15 Oct 2017, 12:28 pm

Nikola Tesla once paid an overdue hotel bill with a ‘working model’ of his ‘death beam’. He warned the staff never to open it, describing it as a war-ending particle weapon that could stop invading armies and make warfare pointless. After his death in 1943, someone finally pried the box open and found nothing but a bunch of harmless old electrical components.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Romansky123
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Oct 2017, 2:19 pm

Did you know horses first evolved in the America but went extinct long before the native people could use them

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 7:22 pm

The voice actor for Yuki Makoto, the protagonist of the Persona 3 movies, is Akira Ishida, who also voiced Kaworu from Neon Genesis Evangelion, N from Pokemon, and Wizardmon from Digimon. He was also the voice for Luke Skywalker in the Japanese dubs for Star Wars, Tom Riddle in the Japanese dub of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, and--Wesley Crusher in the Japanese dubs of Star Trek Next Gen, of all characters.

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 1:48 pm

Your body is younger than you. No matter how old you are, most of your body is less than 10 years old, because your cells are always recycling themselves. The epidermis recycles every 2-4 weeks, red blood cells are replaced every 4 months, and your skeleton turns over every 10 years.

blast335
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Oct 2017, 1:57 pm

In ASL (American Sign Language) male signs (dad, brother, uncle, male cousin) are signed above the eyes (usually on or around the forehead)

Female signs on the other hand (mom, sister, aunt, female cousin) are signed below the eyes (usually the cheek, jaw, nose, mouth, or chin)

I speak on behalf of no-one but myself. For how can I represent anyone else? If someone shares my opinion on a topic, are we now the same person? With the same opinions on all topics? No, of course not.
-Blast335 (me)

slave
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 11:39 pm

equestriatola wrote:
Nikola Tesla once paid an overdue hotel bill with a ‘working model’ of his ‘death beam’. He warned the staff never to open it, describing it as a war-ending particle weapon that could stop invading armies and make warfare pointless. After his death in 1943, someone finally pried the box open and found nothing but a bunch of harmless old electrical components.

LOL

kewl anecdote!

traven
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 1:32 am

heyhey,
another fact for np; Large differences occur between different types of flagella; the prokaryotic and eukaryotic flagella differ greatly in protein composition, structure, and mechanism of propulsion. However, both can be used for swimming.

Last edited by traven on 17 Oct 2017, 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 1:36 am

^
You musta posted that in the wrong thread. No idea what thread that was meant for. But it cant be this one. :lol:

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 11:51 am

The US didn’t change immigrants’ names at Ellis Island in the late 1800s. Names were recorded when immigrants left their countries and confirmed using the ship’s manifest when they arrived. Most of the changed names were likely a result of errors, passengers giving false names, or people changing their own names at a later date.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2017, 7:01 pm

The first Legend of Zelda game was apparently inspired by the creator's childhood and finding 'hidden lakes' and exploring forests.

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

slave
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2017, 7:27 pm

~10 000 shipping containers fall off of ships each year. They are rarely retrieved. There are believed to be a few hundred thousand sunk in the world's oceans, slowly breaking down. Corten steel breaks down VERY slowly. Many contain plastic objects which will break down slowly as well.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2017, 1:29 am

slave wrote:
~10 000 shipping containers fall off of ships each year. They are rarely retrieved. There are believed to be a few hundred thousand sunk in the world's oceans, slowly breaking down. Corten steel breaks down VERY slowly. Many contain plastic objects which will break down slowly as well.

I should add, cuz I checked, that none of the corporations involved are required by any law to retrieved these containers.......even if they are floating. So they just sail away.

An underwater ROV found one that was 10 yrs underwater, and almost ZERO rust. It has over 1000 tires inside.

One wreck lost 4500 containers in one incident.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2017, 2:15 pm

Huey Lewis of HL & the News... 80's rock band...........attended and graduated from the Lawrenceville School, an all-male prep school in New Jersey, in 1967, and he achieved a perfect score of 800 on the Maths portion of the SAT.

Who knew?! 8O

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2017, 10:32 pm

Elephants have funerals.
Dogs and cats can do simple math.
Cheetahs can run faster than a car on the highway.
A lot of people think insects aren't animals. Insects are animals.
A gorilla's scientific name is Gorilla gorilla gorilla. How creative! :wink:

Aren't animals cool?