Page 108 of 154 [ 2450 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111 ... 154  Next

PatrickJane
Raven
Raven

30 Apr 2017, 8:12 am

Orgasms cure hiccups.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 12:49 pm

The Fibonacci Series was based on the reproductive patterns of rabbits.

When a cat's tail is in the shape of a question mark, it means they are interested in what is going on.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

30 Apr 2017, 1:20 pm

There used to be a paint made of ground- up Egyptian mummies. ‘Mummy Brown’ was a favorite color of many 19th-century European painters, but some people were so upset by its ingredients, they buried tubes of it in the ground out of respect for the dead. It was still being made up until 1964, when the manufacturer’s ancient mummy supply finally ran out.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2017, 9:27 am

It is said that cats don't meow to each other as a means of communication, just to humans. (I know this is false, because I have heard my cats "talk" to each other all the time).

DerpMC
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 May 2017, 12:48 pm

All the ants in the world weigh about as much as all the humans in the world, about 316 million tons.

Robert Murphy ~ 2016

Quote:
Wanna see what destruction looks like? Here it is in human form - it's your boy DerpMC!

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2017, 1:33 pm

The original 3 Musketeers candy bar had 3 pieces and 3 flavors in one package: vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry. During WWII, restrictions and rising costs forced Mars to cut back, so they switched to making just one bar out of chocolate, their most popular flavor.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2017, 3:40 pm

IstominFan wrote:
It is said that cats don't meow to each other as a means of communication, just to humans. (I know this is false, because I have heard my cats "talk" to each other all the time).

Well...they do "talk" to each other, but supposedly they dont use the meow sound to each other. Only when addressing humans.

An expert on TV explained that "meow" has two parts. The first part is the "me" part which means "come hither".

And the second "ow" part means "back off!".

Cats use either "me", or "ow", with each other. But never both at the same time. And they only use both with us. So in effect "meow" means "come hither, AND back off".

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2017, 2:14 am

Useless Trivia coming up

All the US Presidents:

George Washington
John Adams
Thomas Jefferson
James Madison
James Monroe
John Quincy Adams
Andrew Jackson
Martin Van Buren
William Henry Harrison
John Tyler
James Polk
Zachary Taylor
Millard Fillmore
Franklin Pierce
James Buchanan
Abraham Lincoln
Andrew Johnson
Ulysses Grant
Rutherford Hayes
James Garfield
Chester Arthur
Grover Cleveland (First Term)
Benjamin Harrison
Grover Cleveland (Second Term)
William McKinley
Theodore Roosevelt
William Taft
Woodrow Wilson
Warren Harding
Calvin Coolidge
Herbert Hoover
Franklin Roosevelt
Harry Truman
Dwight Eisenhower
John Kennedy
Lyndon Johnson
Richard Nixon
Gerald Ford
Jimmy Carter
Ronald Reagan
George HW Bush
Bill Clinton
George W Bush
Barack Obama
Donald Trump

And all the people of any major party who lost an election since 1928:
1928: Al Smith
1932: Herbert Hoover
1936: Alf Landon
1940:Wendell Willkie
1944: Thomas Dewey
1948: Thomas Dewey, Strom Thurmond
1952: Adlai Stevenson
1956: Adlai Stevenson
1960: Richard Nixon
1964: Barry Goldwater
1968: Hubert Humphrey, George Wallace
1972: George McGovern
1976: Gerald Ford
1980: Jimmy Carter
1984: Walter Mondale
1988: Michael Dukakis
1992: George HW Bush, Ross Perot
1996: Bob Dole, Ross Perot
2000: Al Gore, Ralph Nader
2004: John Kerry
2008: John Mccain
2012: Mitt Romney
2016: Hillary Clinton

And all the Vice Presidents since 1921:

Calvin Coolidge
Charles Dawes
Charles Curtis
John Nance Garner
Henry Wallace
Harry Truman
Alben Barkley
Richard Nixon
Lyndon Johnson
Hubert Humphrey
Spiro Agnew
Gerald Ford
Walter Mondale
George HW Bush
Dan Quayle
Al Gore
Dick Cheney
Joe Biden
Mike Pence

And all the losing Running Mates since 1976 of any major party:

1976: Bob Dole
1980: Walter Mondale
1984: Geraldine Ferraro
1988: Lloyd Bentsen
1992: Dan Quayle
1996: Jack Kemp
2000: Joe Lieberman
2004: John Edwards
2008: Sarah Palin
2012: Paul Ryan
2016 Tim Kaine

traven
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2017, 2:40 am

Addressing dynamical geology, he noted that substances such as carbonic acid, hydrochloric acid, and other gases as well as water vapor played a part in volcanic eruptions. By studying the cooling of large balls of melted basalt, Bischof estimated the possible cooling time of the planet earth, arriving at a value of 350 million years. He also experimented with variations in cooling temperature, observing that manipulations of temperature and pressure during cooling could lead to the formation of different crystalline forms. He suggested that the both asphalt and petroleum were likely derived from decaying plant matter,and predicted that the effects of air, heat and pressure might explain the formation of different types of coal.He studied experimented on inflammable gases such as those found in coal mines. He experimented with the development of safety-lamps and wrote an essay on the avoidance of explosions in mines.
- from Karl Gustav Bischof - wiki, after Wood gas -wiki
the wiki french page is not the same, that's fun about wiki's different languages-pages, but its a shame all english is americanised, maybe you need two english wikis, on top of that the american/english don't even have the choice of language, thus information, other then you know, that doesn't seem weird somewhat??

DerpMC
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 May 2017, 8:42 am

If all the females in a group of clown fish die, a male will change its gender to keep the group alive.

Robert Murphy ~ 2016

Quote:
Wanna see what destruction looks like? Here it is in human form - it's your boy DerpMC!

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2017, 1:35 pm

President Theodore Roosevelt had Abraham Lincoln’s hair with him when he was sworn into office. During his 2nd inauguration in 1905, Roosevelt wore a ring containing strands of Lincoln’s hair, which a doctor had cut from his head on the night of his assassination.

John Hay, who became Roosevelt’s Secretary of State, sent him the ring along with a note that said, “Please wear it tomorrow; you are one of the men who most thoroughly understand and appreciate Lincoln.”

Roosevelt had always felt a connection to Lincoln. Maybe because he was also at his funeral procession when he was a little boy…

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 9:25 am

Roger Federer is nicknamed "The Maestro," but it is Rafael Nadal who has a musician in his family. His grandfather, also named Rafael, is a symphony conductor.

Denis Istomin's uncle Mikhail is a cellist in New York City. Denis listens to his uncle's music before matches for inspiration.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 6:18 pm

Playing Tetris after a traumatic event can help eliminate bad memories. A study of car wreck survivors found that those who played Tetris in the ER had 62% fewer bad memories than those who just wrote down what happened. Their memories also faded more quickly, so it’s believed that Tetris both distracts you from taking pity on yourself, and interferes with the way long-term memories are stored.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 12:44 pm

Siamese cats are all white at birth. They get their "points" (marking) as they mature.

A Tonkinese is a mix between a Burmese and a Siamese.

An Ocicat is a mix between a Siamese/Oriental Shorthair and an Abyssinian.

The original Siamese cat of Thailand is the Korat.

Gizmosis
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 May 2017, 2:39 pm

Early Victorian amputations may not have involved anaesthetic but they could take as little as 30 seconds - with some risk...
Although he eventually perfromed the first English operation to use anaesthesia, Robert Liston was initially against the introduction of anaesthetic in surgery.
He gathered the most eminent surgeons to watch him demonstrate his speed. He had a specially designed scalpel and saw that allowed him to work quickly.
He had once worked so swiftly that he accidently removed a mans genitals as well as his leg, so this time ordered an assistant to hold the patients genitals out of the way.
Unfortunately Liston misjudged his target and while rapidly slashing through the flesh of the patients leg also cut off his assistants fingers. One of Listons rivals began laughing and calles him the worst surgeon ever, Liston marched up the theatre steps (abandoning the half amputated leg and his bleeding assistant) and swore that he was the best surgeon and that he could take the buttons of his opponents shirt without him feeling it.
Naturally his opponent continued to mock him, so Linton slashed once and removed -as he had said- every button without scratching the man. However, the man was so shocked that he had a heart attack and died.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 3:25 pm

If you die while working for Google, they give 50% of your pay to your partner for 10 years, as well as a $1,000 a month to your children until they’re 19. Though it’s a no-win situation for Google, they feel it is the right thing to do, because “it’s better to work for a company who cares about you than a company who doesn’t. And from a company standpoint, that makes it better to care than not to care.”