Any other Asperger's have psychosis bipolar Schizoaffective?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

greentigress
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Sep 2012, 12:23 pm

I have Schizoaffective and have had a recent Aspie diagnosis
I am looking for other Aspies who have had psychosis or a psychotic type disorder
I don't know why I am looking
I had one positive response previously and just didn't know what to say
Maybe just to swap stories?

Also Felicity Larson doing her phd at Cambridge is seeking uk people to take part in genetic research where they take your DNA and study it and also she will come and meet you where you answer questions and someone close to you as a child would be good if poss because it shows things you would not know about ie from infancy

That person has their own phone interview

If you want to email her get in touch

Last edited by greentigress on 11 Sep 2012, 6:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

SpectrumWarrior
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Sep 2012, 2:29 pm

I do, but not really. That is, when I try to logically conclude where I fit into religion, it antagonizes delusional beliefs. In the absence of religion I am unable to conclude processes with delusional ideation. I have a bipolar diagnosis that I don't believe is accurate, but that same knack for understanding psychology also helps me understand why a doctor might be reluctant to change their diagnosis at my behest. They're proud, vain, and egotistical. I'm on VA disability for PTSD so I don't necessarily need the correction of diagnosis, but I want that closure and confirmation because I know I'm right.

I've always believed the theory of evolution, but am now just fully appreciating how much evolution and religion don't mix and only an ignorant person would believe in both. I choose evolution because it concludes logically without delusional ideations. Also, Occam's Razor. We know the universe is complex yet it is comprehensible through science. Religion is incomprehensible because it is a fabrication. However, atheism isn't much better, there is simply no theism to be an atheist to and promoting an organization to stand against the power of another organization will suffer from the same effects of an organization of religion. The problem doesn't stem from the religion, but what people do about it when they put themselves in a box and convince each other their way is better than that of those outside that organization.

greentigress

09 Sep 2012, 3:33 pm

Hi
Thanks for the reply
I was misdiagnosed with borderline personality disorder not Asprgers age 20
But how about asking the doc WHY they think you have bipolar? Do they know about your PTSD?

Do you live in the uk?

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2012, 4:20 pm

Hi greentigress,

I've been diagnosed with both bipolar and Asperger's, and in the beginning before I was on proper medication there were psychotic features of my bipolar disorder. Unlike schizoaffective though, I only ever experienced psychosis in the extremes of a mood episode.

Been on the correct meds for a few years now, and while I still get some mood dips that are mostly related to PTSD, I've not had a major mood episode in years. What's best is, I've been stable for so long that my psychiatrist is slowly lowering my dosages and I've found that my creativity is finally coming back to the level it was at prior to my diagnosis.

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

greentigress

10 Sep 2012, 2:25 am

Hi,
Are you in the uk?
I know less about bipolar than I should
A friend has it and she gets pretty frequent psychotic features
The right meds thank god applies to me too
I've been out of hospital 6 years at the moment
Psychosis is the main feature of my illness when it's bad but do get some lows and considerable hypomania ( if that's what you call continuous elevated mood )
At my request I've had my meds lowered two or 3 times
I have definitely found the lowest effective dose
Less than I'm on and I get psychosis within weeks

PixelPony
Toucan
Toucan

10 Sep 2012, 2:32 am

I've not got full schizoaffective or phrenia, but I've got moderate psychotic symptoms for which I have a prescribed antipsychotic. Is that close enough? That in addition to AS, ADHD, and OCD (pure-O).

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 2:35 am

I was once "psychotic".
It was not a real psychosis though, at least I think so. It was pritty much exactly one year after a trauma occoured and pritty much exactly one year ago. But this time I'm less afraid because I'm not anymore in this for me traumatic environment.

By my "psychotic" symptoms I thought that someone is standing behind me, espessially in my bathroom. I "saw" a black shadow behind me.
Does anyone knows why those symptoms can also occour in PTSD and is this "real" psychosis?

PixelPony
Toucan
Toucan

10 Sep 2012, 2:39 am

According to my psychiatrist, psychotic symptoms can manifest with any significant mental condition. Bipolar, depression, etc, etc. So I wouldn't be surprised if you could see shadow people with just PTSD.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 2:54 am

PixelPony wrote:
According to my psychiatrist, psychotic symptoms can manifest with any significant mental condition. Bipolar, depression, etc, etc. So I wouldn't be surprised if you could see shadow people with just PTSD.

I found this: The Relationship between PTSD and Psychotic Symptoms (click)

"They found that, among people with PTSD, the experience of positive psychotic symptoms was most common. Approximately 52% of people who reported having PTSD at some point in their lifetime also reported experiencing a positive psychotic symptom.

The most common positive symptoms were:

Believing that other people were spying on or following them (27.5%)

Seeing something that others could not see (19.8%)

Having unusual feelings inside or outside of their bodies, such as feeling as though they were being touched when no one was really there (16.8%)

Believing that they could hear what someone else was thinking (12.4%)

Being bothered by strange smells that no one else could smell (10.3%)

Believing that their behaviors and thoughts were bring controlled by some power or force (10%)
The researchers also found evidence that the more PTSD symptoms a person was experiencing, the greater the likelihood that they would also experience positive psychotic symptoms."

[...]

"It has been suggested that the experience of psychotic symptoms in those with PTSD may be connected to the experience of dissociation."

greentigress

10 Sep 2012, 8:29 am

PixelPony wrote:
I've not got full schizoaffective or phrenia, but I've got moderate psychotic symptoms for which I have a prescribed antipsychotic. Is that close enough? That in addition to AS, ADHD, and OCD (pure-O).

it is! there is a study regarding aspies or undiagnoased aspie's who have experienced psychosis

i need to edit this into the main post as well but
Felicity Larson is seeking uk people to take part in genetic research where they take your DNA and study it and also she will come and meet you where you answer questions and someone close to you as a child would be good if poss because it shows things you would not know about ie from infancy

That person has their own phone interview

here is her email:
[email protected]

PixelPony
Toucan
Toucan

10 Sep 2012, 11:17 am

Alas, I'm in the USA. *sigh*

Also, you might want to edit out that email address and just PM it to people interested. Posting contact info publicly isn't recommended, especially someone else's contact info.