Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2012, 7:19 pm

I've been going back and forth on wether or not to set up a profile on OKCupid. The emphasis of the site seems to be on cisgender heteronormative and homonormative people. While I'm open to dating people like that, I'm not sure how well they'd understand or relate to me, being genderqueer (identifying as gender neutral) and sexually fluid (I'm really not comfortable with identifying as "bixsexual") and all around not interested in sexual or gender norms.

I'm wondering if there's a dating website out there for queer people. I'm not specifically looking for a gay dating site or a trans dating site, but something that was just generally more open in it's spectrum of identities.

I've considered fetlife, as I know a few people who use that. They're generally pretty liberal when it comes to that sort of thing, but i don't really consider myself a "fetishist" nor am I looking to be fetishized or objectified in that way.

Anyone have any suggestions?

LordExiron
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Sep 2012, 9:41 pm

I don't know of a site that fits your description, but I thought I would share my thought on OkCupid, having used it extensively. While the only choices for sexual orientation are gay, straight, and bisexual, it is fairly common for people to clarify at the beginning of their profile that they are pansexual, one of the many forms of polysexual, queer, homoflexible, etc., and similarly with gender (I have had contact with TG, TS, bigender, and qenderqueer people, though some lived in different cities as I often used it for penpals). My impression was that OkCupid is the only one of the large dating sites that is welcoming to less than normative expressions of gender and sexuality. It's not ideal for what you're looking for, but if you're willing to spend time digging, I would say it's worth a shot. You can always delete your profile. I really enjoyed it: lot's of friendly people, and you tend to meet a platonic friends and penpals while looking for dates.

Ca2MgFe5Si8O22OH2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Sep 2012, 5:28 am

I don't know what your gender presentation is like, but there are specifically gay male sites that are more sexually oriented, but gay.com, adam4adam, and manhunt.net occasionally have people who are looking for friends and dates. those sites are *not* terribly progressive about gender identity and such, but are still likely to be moreso than hetero dating sites by far, especially if you live somewhere where most of the users are out of the closet.

okcupid is probably the best option for non-sexual stuff, though.