Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2012, 5:41 am

Didgeeeee wrote:
I was diagnosed with this during my second stay in hospital at the age of 16. Suddenly, no one wanted to listen. After I stopped taking the prescribed medication and got away from that environment, my apparent BPD symptoms went away.

With me pretty much the same.

A lot of shrinks have very strange clichees on what BPD actually is. It just means that there exists severe and permanent problems of regulating the emotions, usually because of a trauma in childhood, neglect or other. In severe cases this leads to problems with the identity, drugs, self-harm and so on.
But professionals tend not to listen to people with BPD, because some have a tendency to manipulative behaviour, but this doesn't has to be the case.
I once had a trauma and suffered hughly from the trauma for two years and this time was just the horror for me. BPD must be even more severe. This must just be terrible to have.
But research has shown that a lot of people dx with it, just have it a fiew months or years and just in fiew cases it lasts a lifetime.
So the good news is, that with good therapy and the right treatment, there are good changes of improvement.

But some psychiatrists think very clichee: Oh you have a PD, so you have to act this and this way and you will have it a lifetime, but it's not so easy at all. It's more the other way around, PDs are just traditional categories, the psychiatry used to explain certain behaviour. It also just means that you met the diagnostic criteria at that time out of various reasons, nothing more.

So, of course autistic people can have severe problems regulating their emotions, but they don't have to. They also deal with it different than NTs would do, so that the concept of BPD how it exists today don't really fit in most cases with ASD.

First of all:
The personallity disorders are a very traditional way the psychiatry used to group people into certain categories.
In the new DSM-V they will remove the schizoid PD, paranoid PD, histrionic PD and dependend PD.
They wouldn't all exist anymore in a fiew years.
A fiew decates ago the concept of personality disoders was highly popular and some talked about up to 30something different PDs who would exist, also among them the masochistic PD, Depressive PD and others. Now, in the new DSM-V we will just have 6 PDs left.
But the consept of the PD seems more and more a traditional way to explain human behaviour, getting replaced with a more neuropsychiatric one if you will.

And also those PDs who will continue to stay in the new DSM-V are under critque.
Espessially the tendency of some professionals to dx a whole bunch of PDs in some cases, so the new dx criterias are more strict.
The critique on those PDs who stayed is:

- Schizotypal Personality Disorder:
In the current ICD-10 it isn't even a PD, just in the DSM, because it is more "schizophrenia light" if you will, than a PD.
In the ICD-10 it is just called schizotypal disorder and part of the schizophrenic spectrum, among other disorders.

- Antisocial Personality Disorder (Dyssocial Personality Disorder):
There allready exists the concept of psychopathy and the new diagnostic criterias of the ASPD in the new DSM-V even remind a lot of the old concept of Psychopathy or in some cases with Oppositional defiency disorder what means that you are under so much stress out of various reasons that you missbehave.

- Borderline Personality Disorder:
You could replace it with "Emotional Disregulation Disorder" and "complex PTSD", this depends on the case.
Also because in many cases the people just have those symptoms for a certain period of time and just in a fiew cases through their entire life.

- Narcissistic Personality Disorder:
This seems more a maladaptive coping mechanism. Most ppl who are narcissists have other underlying disorders.

- Avoidant Personality Disorder:
It can explained in of up to 70% of the cases with social phobia. It just continued to stay in the next DSM, because it is still not totally clear, what's with the other 30%.

- Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder:
Highly overlapping with OCD.

So I'm convinced that in the near future the concept of PDs will get replaiced complitely with more accurate neuropsychiatric concepts of the human brain and the new DSM-V is allready moving in this direction, eliminating 4 other PDs from the DSM now.

Here is also a very interessting article about it: Why are personality disorders controversial diagnoses? (click)

Didgeeeee
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Oct 2012, 11:53 am

Raziel wrote:
But research has shown that a lot of people dx with it, just have it a fiew months or years and just in few cases it lasts a lifetime.
So the good news is, that with good therapy and the right treatment, there are good changes of improvement.

But some psychiatrists think very clichee: Oh you have a PD, so you have to act this and this way and you will have it a lifetime, but it's not so easy at all. It's more the other way around, PDs are just traditional categories, the psychiatry used to explain certain behaviour. It also just means that you met the diagnostic criteria at that time out of various reasons, nothing more.

So, of course autistic people can have severe problems regulating their emotions, but they don't have to. They also deal with it different than NTs would do, so that the concept of BPD how it exists today don't really fit in most cases with ASD.

So many psychiatrists diagnose a PD before considering other conditions. PDs are not meant to be a first consideration. Other conditions such as epilepsy, ASDs, traumatic brain injures, substance abuse, ADD/ADHD, metabolic conditions and so on must be ruled out first. A good clinician uses this approach, rather than diagnosing PD in a first meeting with a patient.

BPD for some may just be a set of coping mechanisms for a limited period of time. Anyway, some people can acquire maladaptive behaviours in institutions like hospitals and group homes. Even medications can cause these behaviours.

PDs in my opinion are a way of coping, rather than a permanent flaw in one's personality. The behaviour works so the disorder persists, appearing as if the person is rigid and unchanging. I refuse to believe people are static beings.

I don't think I ever had BPD. No one believed I had the condition, except for a few inpatient psychiatrists. I am certain, I got this Dx due to medication, my anger from bullying, the sporadic cutting I did (learned while in hospital) and my inability to articulate my emotions. The behaviours started and ended abruptly, and were never long standing. This Dx actually traumatized and alienated me.

I got better on my own.

There is so much to learn. BPD is the unknown.

Sensory issues, and a sensitive disposition can explain some of the emotion dys-regulation seen in autistic people.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2012, 2:10 pm

Didgeeeee wrote:
So many psychiatrists diagnose a PD before considering other conditions. PDs are not meant to be a first consideration. Other conditions such as epilepsy, ASDs, traumatic brain injures, substance abuse, ADD/ADHD, metabolic conditions and so on must be ruled out first. A good clinician uses this approach, rather than diagnosing PD in a first meeting with a patient.

I so much don't care about PDs.
In the new DSM-V other PDs are even getting removed and they will all have something else in the future...!
This is just a traditional way of categorizing people who show a certain behaviour over a certain period of time and of course some will even show it for years and decates, it's like depression. Some have it shorter and some longer. Nothing more. And a lot of people dx with BPD will stop showing this behaviour being out of the abusive environment. And of course you could say they were all missdx in the end and how we understand this diagnosis today, they were, maybe even most were. But maybe professionels were wrong with those catheogries and they just have a clichee thinking about it most of the time. Just repeading what they have learned without reading the newest research.

From wikipedia:
Around a third (depending on criteria used) of people diagnosed with BPD achieve remission within a year or two. A longitudinal study found that, six years after being diagnosed with BPD, 56% had good psychosocial functioning compared to 26% at baseline.

But officially you can't even get dx accourding to the ICD-10 (I'm not sure about the DSM-V) showing those symptoms less than 2 years.

Didgeeeee wrote:
BPD for some may just be a set of coping mechanisms for a limited period of time. Anyway, some people can acquire maladaptive behaviours in institutions like hospitals and group homes. Even medications can cause these behaviours.

Of course, those are all just coping mechanisms nothing more and resent research shows that. That's why all the PDs are getting highly criticised. And of course in some cases those mechanisms are extreme, since very early on and liflong with extreme behaviour but those are the minority.
I don't believe in the concept of PDs, how they are descriped at all and see it more as Emotion Dysregulation problems, who can be caused through medication, trauma, neclegt or something else and they can last from a short period of time, upto years beginning like being part of the personality and developing certain coping mechanisms because of that when they last over a long period of time.

Didgeeeee wrote:
PDs in my opinion are a way of coping, rather than a permanent flaw in one's personality. The behaviour works so the disorder persists, appearing as if the person is rigid and unchanging. I refuse to believe people are static beings.

Certain research suggests that in a lot of cases this behaviour just lasts a certain period of time and not forever. Those cases exist and it's not even that rare. PDs are just made up categories, nothing more. And nearly half - 40% - of the PDs will even get removed in the new DSM-V, because there is no need to keep them.

Last edited by Raziel on 08 Oct 2012, 6:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2012, 5:48 pm

This is a very interessting, about Borderline:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=967Ckat7f98[/youtube]

LadybugS
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Oct 2012, 11:22 pm

I was diagnosed with it this year and feel free to PM me if you wish. I will share any experience and info I might have, in order to help you.

"I won't give up on us, even if the skies get rough... God knows we're worth it"