Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AwkwardlyBorderline
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Sep 2012, 2:42 pm

I'm new to this forum, and am a long term sufferer of BPD. I'm just looking to connect with others that have this disorder so that we can share our stories and experiences. :)

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2012, 2:53 pm

No, but I just once was supspect to have it.
It's not even that long ago.

A lot of autistics get suspected to have BPD at one time.
Because there are some symptoms that are the same, like problems handeling emotions.

But the reasons and also the way of behaviour is different.

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2012, 6:16 pm

According to my psychiatrist I have Borderline Personality Disorder in addition to my ASD. I disagree.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2012, 6:55 pm

my sister has BPD. she has a rough time of things. comparatively, i feel lucky to have AS and a med-treatable mental illness. she says of the few times that she has actually been happy, that happiness scares her.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2012, 11:08 pm

One of my brothers has borderline and is not doing well with treatment, but he is considering returning to school next year in a more specialized program. If you have any advice for how to talk with him I would be appreciative. I have a hard time knowing how to respond to his splitting as when I help out with his cats, or listen to him about his cats he seems like I am the best person in the world, the rest of the time I seem to be placed as a person out to get him and make his life miserable even when I am trying to find out what he wants for dinner or what his favorite desert would be.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2012, 12:28 pm

I don't have it but my mother does and she refused to believe it when she was diagnosed back in 1979 and refuses to get treatment or change her behavior in any way.

She sometimes makes my life a living hell. Thank God I don't live with her anymore.

I encourage anyone with BPD to please have it treated.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Torchlight
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Sep 2012, 2:34 pm

I was diagnosed when I went into hospital, but I believe it to be a rushed diagnosis. That was over a year ago and I currently have 3 MH professionals arguing with my psychiatrist that I have Aspergers, and not BPD.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2012, 3:44 pm

Torchlight wrote:
I was diagnosed when I went into hospital, but I believe it to be a rushed diagnosis. That was over a year ago and I currently have 3 MH professionals arguing with my psychiatrist that I have Aspergers, and not BPD.

There are three reasons why you can get dx with BPD:

a) you have it or they think you have it
b) you are a difficult patient
c) they don't know whatelse to dx you, so they use the dx wastebank. ;)

I was deffinitly b, b and b at that time.
Having a trauma from the locked ward and freaked out afterwards.

AldousH
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Sep 2012, 4:01 pm

cathylynn wrote:
my sister has BPD. she has a rough time of things. comparatively, i feel lucky to have AS and a med-treatable mental illness. she says of the few times that she has actually been happy, that happiness scares her.

Interesting. I also get an eerie feeling if I'm happy. I'm scared that something awful it's bound to happen at any moment. I've been suspected of borderline.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 6:49 am

cathylynn wrote:

I also have a friend diagnosed with GAD and she fullfills nearly every diagnostic criteria for nearly every anxiety disorder.
Panic attacs, anxiety, I think avoidant PD and so on. She has to get extreme high doses of psychiatric drugs that it helps her against her anxieties and she also has this. I never understood it right.
They toled her she doesn't has borderline and she mainly doesn't behave like someone with bordline, but she has certain thoughts and behaviour that remindes me on it.
So is this just typical for borderline or can this also occour in other disorders?

kinako
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Oct 2012, 1:48 am

Haven't been formally DX'd, but my history pretty much screams BPD. My relationship debris trail agrees as well...

I've also read that BPD is 90% likely to be comorbid with AS? Is this true?

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 1:52 am

I highly suspect to have it but there are a few elements that don't define me (distructive behavior, need for socialization) so I prefer to be reserved.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 2:46 am

kinako wrote:

No, that's way to high.
It's not really clear actually, because even if autistic people show some elements who are typical for BPD, usually not the whole range of it and very often other typical elements are missing. So usually they are just seen as part of autism. Just in very view cases actually both disorders are diagnosed together.
But it is a very common missdiagnosis for people on the higher end of the autistic spectrum, so there must be some symptoms both disorders share. But usually the thinking structures are somehow different.

So I would say, there is a certain overlapp, but usually simmilar symptoms are seen as part of autism, because most of the time many of the core symptoms are missing and just in fiew cases they are actually dx together.

Didgeeeee
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Oct 2012, 6:34 pm

kinako wrote:

90% is excessive. There is no way unless a clinician is one of those who believe in the 256 symptom combinations of BPD. It is very easy to size a patient to fit into that diagnosis. The diagnostic criteria in the DSM-IV TR is vague so I can see why this happens.

I don't think BPD is as prevalent as psychiatrists claim. Once the self injury criteria is removed I am certain the rate of BPD Dx will decrease.
--------

I was diagnosed with this during my second stay in hospital at the age of 16. Suddenly, no one wanted to listen. After I stopped taking the prescribed medication and got away from that environment, my apparent BPD symptoms went away.

Later on I discovered I had AS. I accept this because it describes me and what I go through.

To the OP, I hope your experience with MH providers has been a lot better than most with or suspected BPD.

kinako
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Oct 2012, 11:50 pm

Raziel wrote:
No, that's way to high.

Thanks Raziel and Didgeeeee -- I'm sure this isn't the first time you've had to deal with self-Dx'er anxiety, so thanks for responding. Unfortunately where I live (Maui), it's a lot harder to see an MH professional for Dx than the place I moved from this spring (Seattle), so until the funds appear for a trip to Honolulu all I have to go on are the AQ/EQ/SQ and other tests online.

One of the reasons I joined WP was to get some knowledge on AS other than what the tests indicated, so again much appreciated.

BTW Raziel -- I notice you and a few of the posters are from Phoenix. I lived in Phx 9 years, mostly close to Metrocenter. :)

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2012, 5:41 am

Didgeeeee wrote:
I was diagnosed with this during my second stay in hospital at the age of 16. Suddenly, no one wanted to listen. After I stopped taking the prescribed medication and got away from that environment, my apparent BPD symptoms went away.

With me pretty much the same.

A lot of shrinks have very strange clichees on what BPD actually is. It just means that there exists severe and permanent problems of regulating the emotions, usually because of a trauma in childhood, neglect or other. In severe cases this leads to problems with the identity, drugs, self-harm and so on.
But professionals tend not to listen to people with BPD, because some have a tendency to manipulative behaviour, but this doesn't has to be the case.
I once had a trauma and suffered hughly from the trauma for two years and this time was just the horror for me. BPD must be even more severe. This must just be terrible to have.
But research has shown that a lot of people dx with it, just have it a fiew months or years and just in fiew cases it lasts a lifetime.
So the good news is, that with good therapy and the right treatment, there are good changes of improvement.

But some psychiatrists think very clichee: Oh you have a PD, so you have to act this and this way and you will have it a lifetime, but it's not so easy at all. It's more the other way around, PDs are just traditional categories, the psychiatry used to explain certain behaviour. It also just means that you met the diagnostic criteria at that time out of various reasons, nothing more.

So, of course autistic people can have severe problems regulating their emotions, but they don't have to. They also deal with it different than NTs would do, so that the concept of BPD how it exists today don't really fit in most cases with ASD.

First of all:
The personallity disorders are a very traditional way the psychiatry used to group people into certain categories.
In the new DSM-V they will remove the schizoid PD, paranoid PD, histrionic PD and dependend PD.
They wouldn't all exist anymore in a fiew years.
A fiew decates ago the concept of personality disoders was highly popular and some talked about up to 30something different PDs who would exist, also among them the masochistic PD, Depressive PD and others. Now, in the new DSM-V we will just have 6 PDs left.
But the consept of the PD seems more and more a traditional way to explain human behaviour, getting replaced with a more neuropsychiatric one if you will.

And also those PDs who will continue to stay in the new DSM-V are under critque.
Espessially the tendency of some professionals to dx a whole bunch of PDs in some cases, so the new dx criterias are more strict.
The critique on those PDs who stayed is:

- Schizotypal Personality Disorder:
In the current ICD-10 it isn't even a PD, just in the DSM, because it is more "schizophrenia light" if you will, than a PD.
In the ICD-10 it is just called schizotypal disorder and part of the schizophrenic spectrum, among other disorders.

- Antisocial Personality Disorder (Dyssocial Personality Disorder):
There allready exists the concept of psychopathy and the new diagnostic criterias of the ASPD in the new DSM-V even remind a lot of the old concept of Psychopathy or in some cases with Oppositional defiency disorder what means that you are under so much stress out of various reasons that you missbehave.

- Borderline Personality Disorder:
You could replace it with "Emotional Disregulation Disorder" and "complex PTSD", this depends on the case.
Also because in many cases the people just have those symptoms for a certain period of time and just in a fiew cases through their entire life.

- Narcissistic Personality Disorder:
This seems more a maladaptive coping mechanism. Most ppl who are narcissists have other underlying disorders.

- Avoidant Personality Disorder:
It can explained in of up to 70% of the cases with social phobia. It just continued to stay in the next DSM, because it is still not totally clear, what's with the other 30%.

- Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder:
Highly overlapping with OCD.

So I'm convinced that in the near future the concept of PDs will get replaiced complitely with more accurate neuropsychiatric concepts of the human brain and the new DSM-V is allready moving in this direction, eliminating 4 other PDs from the DSM now.

Here is also a very interessting article about it: Why are personality disorders controversial diagnoses? (click)