Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2012, 11:39 am

I am sure that i am not ret*d but anyway :)

Earlier on i made a phone call too a cab company so my brother could get a lift too the station . my brother was standing next too me and put me under a lot of pressure too say the right things on the phone. there were no taxis avaliable. i did say one dumb thing on the phone and my brother said too me "you are ret*d and are only 23 weeks old". If i was relaxed and by myself making a phone call i would not make so many mistakes but do you think its understandable too make errors if someone is standing over you and being very demanding?

Do you think i am taking his comments too litterally? Does aspergers come with mental retardination?

I have had an unfourtante few weeks and nothing seems too be going right for me at the moment. :(

Salkin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Sep 2012, 12:09 pm

How old is your brother? Sounds immature. I'm pretty sure he said that for the purpose of insulting you, not because you're literally ret*d (and obviously you're not literally 23 weeks old!)

It is very understandable to make mistakes in that situation. Don't beat yourself up over it; everyone has some bad moments. I hope your life will improve soon, though; certainly sounds like you've been having a bad time of it.

I believe the definition of Asperger Syndrome specifically excludes mental retardation. A mentally ret*d person on the spectrum would (I'm guessing) be seen as having classical autism or "Kanner Syndrome". Anyhow, you indeed don't appear to be ret*d.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2012, 12:17 pm

my bro is 20. i really did think he was maturing 2 months ago but now he has gone back too behaving like a loudmouthed 15 year old.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2012, 12:44 pm

I wouldn't have made the call. I would have told him to call it himself. He was right there.

I don't like making phone calls at all and someone standing there watching makes it even worse. I just can't do it if someone is listening.

I recently made a mistake with a cab that makes me not want to take cabs any more but I have no choice as I have no other way to get to my doctor's appointments. On the way home I got in the wrong cab because when I asked if they were my cab they acted like they were. Then when I was almost home the other cab called and said that they were there and where was I? I bet they were mad that they went all that way and I wasn't there.

ghoti
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2012, 12:59 pm

So he was bullying you by first making you do the phone call he should have made himself, then pressuring you to do it "correctly" hovering over you, then using the r-word when it was not up to his expectations which i believe could never be met.

That is bullying and his fault and not yours.

PixelPony
Toucan
Toucan

15 Sep 2012, 2:05 pm

Yup, I agree with the others. You're fine; he was a jerk.

Canaspie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2012, 3:35 pm

hanyo wrote:
I wouldn't have made the call. I would have told him to call it himself. He was right there.

^^this x 10000^^

Even if you agreed to make the call, the moment he decided to start being a jerk, you should have just handed him the phone and walked away. Don't let other people control you like that.

McAnulty
Toucan
Toucan

15 Sep 2012, 3:38 pm

It's an insult that is often used, but it is not to be taken literally. Many people say this when they think someone did something silly, even when they know the person they are speaking to isn't actually intellectually impaired. It's not a nice thing to say, for sure, but he was not implying that you actually have an intellectual impairment. And no, you can not have an intellectual impairment with an Aspergers diagnosis, you must have average or above average intelligence to have Aspergers.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2012, 4:09 pm

I think this happens to everyone once in a while- brainfreeze while under pressure.

But your brother sounds like my dad- highstrung, and impatient.

He would cause to me make mistakes like that.

Your story brings back some bitter memories actually.