Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2015, 5:35 pm

Purplepolkadots wrote:
It really does generally depend.
I'm about 15 pounds overweight, as is the rest of my biological family.
I have three adopted siblings, and they are all in some of the lowest percentiles for weight, and that's even with my mum shoving food down their throats at every chance.
I'm an extremely healthy eater because if I eat anything processed, I get extremely bad diarrhea and cramps. I also generally spend an average of 16 hours outside in our forest everyday.
When the doctor was told of my daily habits (and after he realised we weren't lying), he told me that he was surprised that I'm not stick thin. My adopted siblings spend a good portion of their day inside (they're naughty), and they eat larger portions than me, yet people ask if they are sick!
I'm set to go for testing for a digestive and/or thyroid disorder testing, so we'll see what that says.

I'm sensitive to certain foods, too. Yogurt makes me come close to crapping my pants. All meats except for fish fill me up with one bite. The only things I like to eat are vegetables, hummus, fish, coconut water, Slim Fast, tea and coffee. Almost half my diet are liquids. I've been eating like this for like, almost a week I think. I also eat fruit like pears, bananas and cantaloupe. I also exercise for 45 minutes when people in my house aren't sick. Right now I can't because a family member is sick and staying downstairs.

I'm 230 pounds, but got told today to wait and get weighed at the doctor because I don't look like I weigh that much. People have a different opinion about my diet. They can get over it. It's my body after all.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

morecircus
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Dec 2016, 8:18 pm

Agree totally:
++As far as weight goes, obviously it'd have an effect if you're just more sensitive to crap food. I've found I gain weight fairly easy eating processed food...

++overweight, pre-diabetic too and trying to figure out what is wrong with me (eating makes him feel awful many times, even the littlest of things spike his blood sugar more than it ever should)

++I usually forgot to eat well into the afternoon... and then compensate by overeating. The problem emerging is that it had actually become a habit/routine and I have problems going back to a normal eating rhythm.

++pursuing thyroid treatment--buy throid pills like iodine from health stores.

In College was 155-160lbs 6'2". College was a "safe place" ritual, routine, sameness and I choose healthy foods (like greens, Broccoli). I unfortunately joined the workforce post College, turned into a somewhat obese.

yoshiofdeath
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Dec 2016, 3:04 pm

When I was growing up---I was 20 to 30 lbs underweight from the rest of my peers. In 6th Grade, my peers weighed 90lbs. I weighed 70lbs. It was like that all the way up until 2003. Now, I'm pretty constant with "normal" weight. Why was this? I do know I didn't eat much, but I also believe my social anxiety was so steady---yet contained---that I was constantly burning energy the entire time.

JaredGTALover
Toucan
Toucan

14 Apr 2017, 3:19 pm

Fnord wrote:
Yes. Asperger's and weight are definitely linked. If you have AS, then you will definitely be obese, anorexic, or something in between.

that's what i'm trying not to be:anorexic

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2017, 6:01 pm

Well I tend towards underweight, but then again my other siblings and lots of my cousins are quite lean...so not so sure its more the autism or just genetics. Some older relatives have put on some weight on my moms side but my dads side tends towards quite lean as well. I think some of the older relatives eat more food they are used to which may not always be very healthy and it seems younger people are a bit more health aware about food.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2017, 2:17 am

I feel the complete opposite of some people here. I think aspergers actually helps me stay in great shape, because I can eat the same meals almost everyday and never get tired of it. It makes it very easy to calculate my macronutrient intake.

tensordyne
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Apr 2017, 1:34 pm

Found this...

http://www.webmd.com/brain/autism/news/ ... sm-study#1

Have noted an interesting pattern myself, as well. First off, you have to understand that everything I am about to say comes from the point of view that humans, scientifically speaking, are herbivores. Needless to say, if you find that idea abhorrently unimaginable, please allow me to suggest that that it is because there is a lot of information behind that conclusion you might not know about.

Back to the story ~ At one of the Food Courts I go to on the regular with my Spouse, there are often individuals with Developmental Disabilities because of a Rest Home just up the street. My best guess is Down Syndrome for some, but definitely these persons can easily be seen to not be NT. I noticed that they often have weight issues as well.

In fact, the weight issues seem to be more pronounced in those I have guessed to have Down Syndrome. Adipose tissue (fat) enlargement occurs around the legs in a way that is quite striking.

This all could make a lot of sense. Humans are Herbivores. Neurological Developmental disabilities have at least some genetic component. Combine the previous two statements and you get: eating meat exacerbates an already difficult situation.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2017, 2:27 am

Eating big steaks make me feel amazing.

Cad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 May 2017, 9:35 pm

JaredGTALover wrote:
that's what i'm trying not to be:anorexic

People used to say I was anorexic at school and it was awful but there's nothing I can do about it. My family are all tiny as well. People are just made a certain way, as long as you have no health problems who cares? Your weight is your weight.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2017, 11:35 am

I have no problems with my clothing size. Other people who aren't doctors are the ones who have a problem.

I'd like to lose 20 pounds though.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

BornThisWay
Toucan
Toucan

12 May 2017, 12:09 pm

I have gluten intolerance and diabetes...always have had issues with weight gain and had severe digestive issues as a child. When I was three, I became so constipated that I ended up hospitalized to fix the issue. I was not breastfed and I feel I have suffered dietary abuse all my life...by the time I figured out what I should eat, a lot of the damage was done.

Nowadays I just try not to stress over it now and do my best to eat well - I could stand to lose 20 lbs right now, and ought to get my A1c down a few points as well. The only way that ever happens is if I go extreme Paleo/ultra low carb. But it's very hard to maintain, so I yoyo about...like I said, I try not to stress over it... right now I'm being very strict on being gluten free and even though I've gained weight this last year, my skin and digestion is much better.

So yes, there may be a connection...

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2017, 4:18 pm

BornThisWay wrote:
I have gluten intolerance and diabetes...always have had issues with weight gain and had severe digestive issues as a child. When I was three, I became so constipated that I ended up hospitalized to fix the issue. I was not breastfed and I feel I have suffered dietary abuse all my life...by the time I figured out what I should eat, a lot of the damage was done.

Nowadays I just try not to stress over it now and do my best to eat well - I could stand to lose 20 lbs right now, and ought to get my A1c down a few points as well. The only way that ever happens is if I go extreme Paleo/ultra low carb. But it's very hard to maintain, so I yoyo about...like I said, I try not to stress over it... right now I'm being very strict on being gluten free and even though I've gained weight this last year, my skin and digestion is much better.

So yes, there may be a connection...

My sympathy goes to you. Diabetics are the only scenario where going low carb makes sense. I personally hate eating low carb.

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2017, 9:07 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
(this even happened during the ten minutes I was actually thin several years ago)

:lol:

Omg, this is so me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2017, 9:47 am

Closet Genious wrote:
I personally hate eating low carb.

Me too and it's not healthy.

Every person I know with ASCs is overweight or obese. Granted, that's not many people and none of them are on WP...

I've been wondering, actually, if there is anything to this 'Ego Depletion' theory, which could also apply to Aspies. I often find the levels of self-control required to behave as I want around food and exercise after a day of exercising already huge amounts of self-control in order to behave as society would have me behave, are too high for me to excel at maintaining an optimum level of health.

I eat more crappy food than probably any person I know, but I don't put much weight on and I lose what I gain very quickly because I'm very nervy and ADD, hardly sitting still. Jobs that require me to sit and focus for long periods really annoy and depress me.

I was always skinny as a kid, and unpopular. The popular kids I knew were all fat and funny. Now I'm fat and funny (or funnier) and I'm surprisingly at ease with it. I have no problem being called fat. Plus, every time I lose weight, I get lots of unwanted attention. I don't believe in diets because yo-yo dieting is the reason I'm fat today. But I'm not losing weight again until I can also command some good muscle and the ability to defend myself against unwanted advances by a-holes. (Sorry for the language).

Having said all this, I love being fit. I don't believe you need to be skinny to be fit and strong.