Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

ozmom
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Sep 2012, 7:44 pm

My adult son wanted me to post this for him. He has a very upsetting emotion that he calls "Goo" that seems to be some combination of surprise, embarrassment, confusion and shock. He wants to know if anyone else has this and what it is...Thanks!

AngelKnight
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 8:11 pm

The closest thing that comes to mind might be some sort of powerful fear, perhaps a phobic reaction.

Morningstar
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Sep 2012, 8:21 pm

To me it sounds familiar. I guess I would describe it as humiliation. Isn't it common for people on the spectrum to feel a multitude of feelings at once and not know how to describe it? I can relate to that, too.

What you describe, I would imagine having in a situation in which suddenly I'm the brunt of a joke or being laughed at, and it was completely unexpected, and I have no clue what went wrong or how I got to that point.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 11:00 pm

In what situations does your son experience "the goo emotion"?

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2012, 6:04 am

Morningstar wrote:
To me it sounds familiar. I guess I would describe it as humiliation. Isn't it common for people on the spectrum to feel a multitude of feelings at once and not know how to describe it? I can relate to that, too.What you describe, I would imagine having in a situation in which suddenly I'm the brunt of a joke or being laughed at, and it was completely unexpected, and I have no clue what went wrong or how I got to that point.

This.

icyfire4w5
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 4:28 am

I would describe my own "goo emotion" as "the urge to dig a hole and jump into it". Personally, I like Morningstar's explanation for being very clear and understandable.

CrystalStars
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 7:33 am

IdahoRose wrote:
In what situations does your son experience "the goo emotion"?

I'm curious too.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 9:02 pm

I didn't know there was such a thing as the Goo emotion.

NativeBear
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Sep 2012, 9:36 pm

I think I can understand...

Ask your son if the goo is present in his minds at all times, if he feels that there are only brief instances where he has relief.
The Goo doesn´t really go away, you can tell him if you´re being blut. The "Goo" is his attention and where its focused - focusing it on embarassment and shame, etc. will further help them grow.

Without being too explanatory (haha...), I´ll sugest meditation and literature. Putting his suffering in a poetic context and giving the opportunity to shift his attention outside of himself really helps! :D

P.S.

He may need therapy to talk about the goo - you´re not exactly the safest person to talk about these sort of things... don´t take it personally, but you´re his mother! Some of the negative aspect of the goo might pertain to you so he should find a venue where he can express himself and not feel like he´s hurting anybody :) He´s blessed to have you as his mother! Cheers!

ozmom
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Sep 2012, 10:09 am

My son says that he usually feels the emotion when something happens that is related to something he fears. So, it sounds like just about all your responses are right! It seems like it is related to his strong phobias and his worry about them coming true. He was really reassured when I could tell him the feelings are not unusual - maybe just made lots stronger because of his autism and his extremely good memory.

He does do weekly therapy - but I think he trusts your responses more on this kind of subject since you live with autism too.