short introduction turns into long introduction

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

lordgivemepatience
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Sep 2012, 1:15 pm

i really need some help here.

My aunt's godson, Sammy, is someone I've known my whole life. He was not a childhood friend though because of the difference in years (3 1/2 to 4). When he was in high school, he was taken out of his home by my aunt and moved into my mom's house. This was due to his mom getting involved with drugs etc. and the household falling apart. I was in college during the years he lived at my mom's. Though I was in college, I spent a lot of time at home during weekends and summer. I included him in everything I could. He was always quiet and reserved. It didn't bother me but bugged a lot of people.

So fast forward 15 years....
He is a roommate and Im probably his closest friend but he is nowhere near what I would consider a close friend. I say that he is the world's best conversation piece because everytime someone meets him they always ask me about him. The way he talks, walks and the stuff he says. People get irritated with him and I try to explain the situation.

About 5 years ago, his childhood best friend randomly read an article about asperger's syndrome. He told Sammy in a joking manner that he had it. Of course, being stereotypical insensitive guys who rip on each other all day, Sammy got called aspie in a derogatory way for years following this unofficial diagnosis. Ever since then, I've recognized several symptoms.

Over the course of the last 5 years, all of Sammy's friendships have completely deteriorated. He doesn't have any issues initially making friends, but then those relationships wither away. He has no interaction with his mother, father or siblings. I am the final thread of his safety net, and here is where I need help.

I have run out of patience and do not want to live with him anymore. I've told him he needs to move ASAP. I don't want to turn my back on him so I'm looking for some answers, some hope. Where do I go from here?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 2:14 pm

Welkome to WP

MickImage

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 5:59 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

3nails
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Sep 2012, 3:54 pm

Well I am new here, and that sounds absolutely devastating, for him I mean. I was told once when I was much younger to find someone else to hang out with. I recall not reacting in any particular way, just sort of indifferent to the request, but I had a complete meltdown later. Just felt completely helpless.
It sounds like his case isn't mild? Does he have a psychologist who can maybe help him?

I don't know, I'm trying to think of something, forgive me if it's not helpful.

Diederick
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Sep 2012, 4:29 pm

What is making it so hard to live with him?

Does he have professional help, like a psychologist or a social worker? Can he get help (financially)?

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 11:57 pm

Above comments are good. Wanted to add, that if this is a conscience thing for you, ensure at least he moves in to a sustainable situation. You have a right to your own life and its not on you to replace family, etc.