Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2012, 10:23 am

Locally, I am a member of the Autism spectrum network run by my local health trust which is basically a gathering of health service users to give feedback and ideas.

A lot of NT carers of ASD children seem to complain about problems raised by the neurological differences.

I however, as a parent raised the point that sometimes the shoe can be on the other foot. Are you an autistic parent? What difficulties do you experience?

One of my major bugbears is participating in play with my child, sometimes situations that require make-believe or suspension of realism can be very trying.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2012, 11:13 am

I have AS and have four kids, three that I am sure are NT and one that I suspect may have AS, but he has no social difficulties

I never played with mine like most parents do. We either watched TV, did crafts, I read to them, etc. I mainly just treated them and talked to them like adults and excpeted them to understand my meanings. They did. Things worked out well. They are well adjusted and happy.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

gretchyn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Sep 2012, 12:17 pm

It's good to hear a positive response to this, because I have the same problem. In fact, I posted a similar question a few days ago. My son gives me prompts (he's 4), and someone suggested I just follow them, and ask questions about how he's like me to respond. I seem to feel a little more confident!