Why Does Christian Religion Make Me SO ANGRY?

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 1:53 pm

When someone else online mention's anything positive about God or JC or almost anything to do with church and the Bible I get EXTREMELY angry and upset, especially when they say it's the only way in a completely vane attempt to make me feel bettersolve a problem and everyone needs God in their lives and if someone is suffering God will help them. If that were true than religious people who study the Bible, go to church and pray daily would miraculously be cured of cancer or get their job back or have a place to live. I'm so sick of the bigoted Bible-thumpers telling me why I am going to hell: Don't go to church, doesn't read the Bible, doesn't pray, likes Halloween (which interestingly enough is one of the very few holidays anyone with any religion can celebrate), read Harry Potter books, thinks angels and demons are as make-believe as fairies and mermaids, doesn't go to Midnight Mass at Christmas, is left-handed, owns cats for pets, and doesn't wear a bonnet (okay that last one was a slight exaggeration). I didn't used to always be like this. When I was a little girl I went to a religious school and believed in God and my mother told me we didn't need to go to church to pray or believe in him. But as we got closer to the end of the 20th Century and all the doomsday and Y2K predictions put me in a constant state of anxiety I began to hate God. Why would I want to believe in a God who hates me for being different and wants to kill me and my family for being HUGE sinners? But I must believe in God since you can't hate something that doesn't exist. I personally think my family members are good people but everything I think, say or do is wrong, obviously. That's how I felt and that's how I feel now. I must really be evil. :evil:

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 2:07 pm

If you don't know, how is anyone else supposed to know?

ruveyn

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 2:14 pm

God doesn't hate anyone for being different and is more than willing to forgive you and your family's sins.

Fear of left-handed people has its roots in greco-roman paganism and is not a Christian value. Anyone who says otherwise is making **** up.

Similarly, nowhere in the Bible does it say to fear cats. I have a cat named Kitty (I know it's unoriginal but we tried a bunch of names; it's the only one she ever answered to) and don't know what I'd do without a cat. :cat:

And Halloween is a Catholic holiday. It evolved from all-Hallows eve, the eve of all saints day. Anyone who says Christians cant celebrate Halloween is making **** up.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 2:23 pm

Because Christians tend to "make s*** up" and then find a Bible verse to support it; and the s*** they make up seems to apply only to others, and not to themselves.

What's even worse is that this s*** may eventually become denominational doctrine, which people of that denomination simply must believe, or they are not "real" Christians.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 2:33 pm

Tensu wrote:
God doesn't hate anyone for being different and is more than willing to forgive you and your family's sins.

That is the sort of statement that makes my blood boil. It is a classic brainwashing technique. Make someone feel like s**t calling them and their family sinners, then offer to make them better - believe in the Christian god and you will be forgiven and loved! Poison someone's mind then offer them an antidote more insidious than the poison.

Grrrr. :x

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 2:47 pm

Tensu wrote:
God doesn't hate anyone for being different...

Have you ever read:

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 -- "Let no one be found among you who sacrifices their son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. Anyone who does these things is detestable to the Lord; because of these same detestable practices the Lord your God will drive out those nations before you."

Deuteronomy 22:5 -- "A woman must not wear men’s clothing, nor a man wear women’s clothing, for the Lord your God detests anyone who does this."

Deuteronomy 23:18 -- "You must not bring the earnings of a female prostitute or of a male prostitute[d] into the house of the Lord your God to pay any vow, because the Lord your God detests them both."

Obviously, God hates a lot of people for being "different" -- people who burn their children in sacrifice, psychics, witches, spirit mediums, necromancers, and transvestites ... Among Other Things.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Alfonso12345
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Sep 2012, 2:49 pm

TallyMan wrote:
Tensu wrote:

That is the sort of statement that makes my blood boil. It is a classic brainwashing technique. Make someone feel like sh** calling them and their family sinners, then offer to make them better - believe in the Christian god and you will be forgiven and loved! Poison someone's mind then offer them an antidote more insidious than the poison.

Grrrr. :x

I agree 100% Tallyman. Of course, the one argument I always use when it comes to debating the whole idea of sin and forgiveness for those sins, is the basic fact that the Christian god is supposed to be totally omniscient and would already know every sin every person would do before they did it. Obviously when I mention this, the Christian apologists try to say something that makes it seem as though their god hasn't created humans sinners, for the purpose of saving them from their sins.

In my opinion, the Christian concept of god makes me think of a serial killer I once read about. I don't remember the guy's name at the moment, but he was a doctor and he poisoned his patients and then tried to save them from the poison so he could look like a hero. Obviously the guy failed a bunch of times and it was discovered that a lot of his patients had died because he poisoned them.

The fact is, the Christian god sounds very much like this guy. He plants the tree of knowledge of good and evil in the garden of Eden, knows ahead of time that both Adam and Eve will disobey and eat from the tree, knows ahead of time that every human would desire to sin and give in to that desire as a result, and knows ahead of time that humans would need to be saved from sin. So basically what is happening is, he is poisoning humans with sin, just so he can save them from it and look like a hero so he can be worshiped.

Last edited by Alfonso12345 on 26 Sep 2012, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 2:52 pm

The Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil...

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 2:53 pm

ruveyn is dead right

fnord seems to miss that this behaviour is by no means limited to theists let alone Christians specifically.

Why do people who pronounce "roo" a certain way make me despise them?

Has our querier checked his reactions to a wide enough range of Christians, or just an inadequate and perchancve skewed sample? Has he tested adherents of other faiths like deconstructionism?

AutisticBelle
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Sep 2012, 2:54 pm

I won't deny that many, many christians seem determined to shove the religion down your throat. They seem bound an determined to make you convert this very instant. Others just want you do what they say, christianity or not.
I imagine that many people have had bad experiences with people trying to shove a philosophy down their throats, whether its christianity, buddism, whatever. And that since we are human and have free will, and are just born stubborn, more often than not, we rebel on instinct. I personally do not hold with the way some people say "Covert now or burn for all eternity". Who in their right mind would follow a god being represented in such a fashion?
I do not try to understand God. He is beyond my ability to fully comprehend, so thats where faith comes in. I know He loves me, is disapointed inme on a daily basis, and yet is willing to fogive me. Thats what matters to me. That He loves me regardless of what a f----up I am.
As for the argument that if God truly loved us he would make the world perfect, that holds a flaw of epic proportions. He gave us free will and does not interfer. If He did interfer, then everyone would have to believe, and that would take away choice, one of his greatest gifts. This is not Eden. Its Earth, with all its faults.
I know you are not evil; I don't believe you kick kittens and small children or orchestrate mass murders (For clarification perposes, I will say the previous statement is meant to be humor/sarcasm). So if people say you are evil for not believing, just ignore them. Anyway, whether you believe or you won't. Its your choice in the end, no one elses.
(And just for the record, I felt similiarly not long ago, believing in God but not loving. It happens. I don't fault you for it, and nor should anyoe else. With all the horror in the world, its hard to understand, and unlike all those other people who offer reasons, I'll just tell the truth; don't have a clue. I'm jst taking it all on faith and holding on tight. If that makes me a bad christian, so be it. I can't be any other way. If I don't know the answer, I won't ty to create one.)
Anyway, good luck with life, and sorry for the long post. :D

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 2:56 pm

Philologos wrote:
fnord seems to miss that this behaviour is by no means limited to theists let alone Christians specifically.

Not at all. The topical context is the Christian religion. Let us keep it that way, shall we?

Last edited by Fnord on 26 Sep 2012, 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 2:56 pm

Because of stupidity like this [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D8AeiAamjY[/youtube][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqYASxal-PI&feature=related[/youtube] :lol:

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 3:01 pm

Fnord wrote:
Not at all. The topical context is the Christian religion. Let us keep it that way, shall we?

I do find a lot of religious beliefs just quite comical. As though someone with a really weird drug trip has come up with all this stuff.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 3:03 pm

Tequila wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I do find a lot of religious beliefs just quite comical. As though someone with a really weird drug trip has come up with all this stuff.

How's that go again -- "Any sufficiently well-crafted parody of a religion is indistinguishable from the religion it was crafted to parody"?

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 3:08 pm

Tequila wrote:
Fnord wrote:

If only we could view what really happened historically that might actually be close to the truth! :lol: It also wouldn't surprise me if certain religious figures were actually schizophrenic or had other mental illnesses. "God is my daddy!" shrink: "O...K.... I'm upping your dose of lithium. "

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 3:19 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMuns4-37YQ[/youtube]<facepalm> I think all this Christian got out of protesting Halloween is nothing but making a fool out of himself.And not to forget the homophobia Christianity tends to generate. [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6yF7EqGvPc&feature=related[/youtube]

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList