Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

TryNotToBreathe
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Aug 2015, 12:15 am

One thing I hear a lot from my gay friends is "I hate gays." It makes no sense. They are gay. I am gay. What exactly are they saying? Gays are b*****s, gays are backstabbers, etc. One friend says he can't go out to dinner if his friends are bringing a "new gay," because he can't handle it.

I've never gotten this.

Ben_Is_My_Only_God
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Sep 2015, 6:07 pm

I don't understand why anyone willingly applies labels to themselves, especially when those labels are becoming increasingly divisive. The whole thing has become like some exercise in sexual taxonomy, in which there are now levels of subdivisions with each classification. Why can't people simply be individuals and express themselves in terms of what they want/like/are instead of continually inventing more and more labels to pin on themselves?

345 is a nice number on which to end.

Bimog And The Search For Pangea

darkcomesoon
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Sep 2015, 7:49 pm

Ben_Is_My_Only_God wrote:
I don't understand why anyone willingly applies labels to themselves, especially when those labels are becoming increasingly divisive. The whole thing has become like some exercise in sexual taxonomy, in which there are now levels of subdivisions with each classification. Why can't people simply be individuals and express themselves in terms of what they want/like/are instead of continually inventing more and more labels to pin on themselves?

I agree that there is a point at which labeling becomes excessive and no longer useful. There are so many words out there that people use to describe themselves that it isn't even helpful because they slap on this super specific label, no one knows what it means, and then they end up having to explain the label when they could have just explained their identity without the label in the first place. That being said, I think labels can be really helpful and important when used in moderation. I love having words to describe myself because it makes it easier to convey my own identity to other people, and it means I can find a community with people who share my label and therefore have similar experiences to my own.

JayFred
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Oct 2015, 10:23 am

I want to point out that no matter how tempting it may be to hit someone ( and I often feel that way myself), under the law it can be considered assault even if there is no significant injury. The hitter could be in a lot of legal trouble if the person hit decided to press charges. I would never recommend even a slap unless you could be very sure they wouldn't (e.g. a very close friend--maybe. But you might lose their friendship.)

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2015, 10:36 am

Well I guess I really am frigid and have a disorder, then. Whatev. TBH I'll pick being asexual over being gay or bi anytime. I tend to see it as something of an almost extra-terrestrial trait that makes me superior to the pathetic, sex-obsessed Earthlings. :P