I'm worried about losing interest in my special interest...

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Fane7545
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Dec 2014, 12:18 am

I know exactly what you mean. My main interest is writing, or I guess I should say my story ideas. If I burn myself out on one I eventually get a new one. Right now the one I'm on is dying down, partially because I'm thinking about it so much and partially because it's related to issues that are making me feel conflicted. If my interests die down I start to feel depressed because I think about my ideas to distract myself from stress, my over-empathizing, and other things.

Anyway, I guess try not composing for a while, like other people said. Let the field lay fallow.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 8:15 am

BenPritchard wrote:
Hello everybody.

If you did not know I have quite the "special interest" for music (specifically composition.)
As of late I've been feeling less and less motivated to compose music and I'm worried I might be losing my interest.
I feel like I'm nothing without my music and really don't want to give up but I don't know how to fight this lack of motivation.

Please help me.
-Ben Pritchard

Are you suffering from depression? That'll make you lose interest in everything!

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

FoxesSchmoxes
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jul 2020, 5:48 pm

This happens to me once in a while. I'll feel unmotivated to engage/interact with my main special interest, but it always seems to come back eventually. For me my main interests go in cycles. I'll be super into one interest for a week then super into my other one the next. I used to get a lot more worries that I'd lost interest in my main one, but since I've loved it for over 10 years (half of my life, basically), I don't think it'll ever go away completely.

"For what profit is a man if he gains the whole world but loses his soul?" Luke 9:23-26

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2020, 6:52 pm

As someone pointed out, are you depressed? That can affect your attachment to your interest. If you are depressed, seek some help or focus on healing.

However, if not, then interests can evolve.

I have been involved with photography since I was very young. My relationship with photography has been evolving over that time. My interest also ebbs and flows. Photography in and of itself is not that interesting, but rather what I use it for. You could say I have an interest in an interest. I need a reason to photograph. It is also OK when that ebbs as I know it will return with the next thing I want to explore with my photography. Sometime a break is all you need.