Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

28 Sep 2012, 6:47 am

Continuing on in my musical instruments thread......... we focus on the synthesizer.
---
I've always been fascinated with music of the 1980s, and one part of it that was integral to the music of the time was the synthesizer. I like so many of them, but my favorite one was the Yamaha DX-7. I've given some though at getting one, they are out there for a few hundred dollars........ anybody like the synth? :D

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 1:06 pm

I'm not a fan of the DX-7 at all, as they tend to all sound the same, (creating new sounds for a DX-7 was done in Assmbler Language), but I really like the sound of older mononphonic analog synths like Minimoogs and EML's, ARP's, and the Roland SH-101 and SH-404. EMU Emulators and Fairlight's had a much better repotoire than the DX-7, but the price was also exponentially more as well.
Current synth's like the the Nords, and current Mini-Moogs are cool in the fact that they are fully digital instruments, but they capture the analog sound quite well.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 4:04 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOfGuz7OvbU[/youtube]

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 2:22 am

I take it that learning the synth is no different than playing the piano; save for a few bells and whistles on the synths, am I right?

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 10:29 am

equestriatola wrote:
I take it that learning the synth is no different than playing the piano; save for a few bells and whistles on the synths, am I right?

Correct to a point. Some of the old Monophonic synths are a bit easier than pianos due to the fact that they have non-weighted keys, and the fact that the contact switches for the keys can be activated by barely pressing on the keys. Also on older synths, there is no touch sensitivity at all. Because of what I have jest mentioned, this makes it easier to actually play one, in the same way that it's easier to play fast arpeggiated riffs with an electric guitar through a very high gaim amplifier than it is to play those same riffs through a steel string acoustic guitar. -- You barely have to touch to produce the sounds that you want.

The hard parts are on order of ease, setting the synth up to produce the sounds that you want as well as having the sense of timing and knowing intrisically what note progressions you want to play.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 2:42 am

What other synths could you recommend to someone like me?

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

04 Oct 2012, 11:48 am

I know you know about it already (due to my obsession with them), but you should really look into the Vocaloid software. Being able to synthesize a voice is still generally new. (Not like auto-tuning, basically a computer generated voice you can program to sing.)

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 12:17 pm

You could possibly get away with using a cheapo USB piano keyboard hooked up to a VST synth plugin, with a line out from your computer / DAW setup.

These look cool as well, but I think that you would have to have one shipped from Germany as I think they no longer have North American Distribution.

foodeater
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Oct 2012, 12:02 am

equestriatola wrote:
If you want to make your own sounds, that is literal synthesis, it has nothing to do with the piano. The keys are just an interface to play the notes.

If you want to read about synthesis http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm check this out starting at the bottom. Personally, I like to work with synths that have lots of control, are hards on and tactile, so I can learn by doing. The DX7 is different than the traditional subtractive synth in that creating sounds in less intuitive and more technical minded. The interaction between the elements is rather scientific, although this can be overcome with regular use.

Software is generally an easier way to get started today, since most people have computers already. People get into long and pointless discusions about "what is best", but I'd say most people would do well to spend 6 months to a year with Ableton Live + Native Instruments Komplete and you'll understand enough to know what it is you actually want.

Brock
Raven
Raven

29 Oct 2012, 11:33 pm

I have a DX7. It's cool. It takes about a week to program a patch though. I mean it is seriously a painful process.

NI's FM8 is really really great though. Widely regarded as the best FM synthesis software on the block. I've never used a better one, if it exists.

I love the outboard gear too, but its just so impractical.

Also, I believe Yamaha or roland just released a DX7 redux type synth. Check that out maybe.

Brock
Raven
Raven

29 Oct 2012, 11:37 pm

FM synthesis is a bit difficult to grasp if you are starting out.

Sylenth is top pick for simple, yet incredible synth.

Massive would be good too. The NI Komplete pack is the All-music-software-you-need-in-one package.

Or are you looking for just outboard stuff?

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 7:56 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfMmYrI6N6g[/youtube]

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 2:00 pm

I had a DX7IIFD that I'd temporarily retired…until it was stolen. :( I enjoyed that synth very much.

The DX7 is a fine digital instrument for that signature 80s sound. I highly recommend, BUT…

If you want to collect 80s instruments, you need a varied collection. This is my suggestion:

1. FM synth. DX7 is your best bet, but you also need to understand it's a b!tch to program. You need a dedicated laptop for this task.

In fact, before you get ANY classic synth, make sure you have an old PC or Mac that you can run a copy of JSynthLib on. It WILL NOT run on Mac OSX ML. Snow Leopard or earlier, please. In fact, get you a running iBook G4 and something like a Yamaha UX16 just for synth programming. My first synths were the aforementioned 2nd gen. DX synth, a TX802 (same thing but with 8 voices), and a TX7 (1st gen. yammer FM).

2. Analog DCO synth. It's all-analog sound with digital clock for pitch-stability. It's not as "FAT" sounding as 100% analog because the oscillators won't drift. Nonetheless, there are some NICE DCO synths out there.

After stockpiling FM synths, I bought a Roland aJuno-1. I WISH I'd gotten the mks-50 instead since I don't actually play the keyboard (no touch sensitivity). I was partly motivated by budget concerns, and I kinda wish I hadn't gone that direction. You don't get a wide range of waveforms on the alpha Juno series. However, I'm not getting rid of it any time soon…they are picking up some serious demand among electro musicians. I picked mine up for under $200, and they're getting harder to find for less than $300. They are EXCELLENT at bass and organ sounds, but you can also get some TRASHY leads out of them, too, with a little effort. Internal ROM presets don't suck, and I'd rate them high on tweak potential.

More recently I bought a Oberheim Matrix1000. MASSIVE ROM preset library built in, plenty of room for user programs. I like it's sound a lot better than the Roland, and you have some impressive internal routing options. You can get all the same sounds as the alpha Juno PLUS some. There's just really not much you CAN'T do with the M1000.

3. Digital ROMpler/synth hybrid. You MUST have a Roland D50. No excuses. I don't own one, and I pine for it daily. Don't make the same mistake I made.

4. ROMpler/workstation: Korg M-series or T-series. I'd just get the M1 plugin straight from Korg. The sequencer on the T-series (the church I work for has a T2) is powerful and can drive externals. You can basically run your whole studio if you get a T-series.

5. A polyphonic VCO analog synth. Prophet-5. Korg Polysix. Something like that, and honestly, I'd go with a more current version of one of these. DSI still makes stuff like this. The difference is current synths are going to be more reliable, whereas you do run into those kinds of problems with the Polysix. You get the classic 80s sound either way.

Optional:

7. Dedicated sampler. I have an Akai S2000. Looping sucks on these, so I'd recommend using these for drum and other 1-shot samples. Excellent filter. Though somewhat anachronistic, I think of these as being more consistent with or an extension of the 80s sound. If you're truly hardcore, go with an Emulator or Ensoniq ASR.

8. Wavetable. Hands-down Korg Wavestation. Don't bother with the PPG sh!t. If it's just absolutely killing you, get something more current like DSI Evolver. You can get the Wavestation plug from Korg, of course, OR you might enjoy the Waldorf PPG Wave 3.v.

9. High-tech. You need a Synclavier. If you have the money, buy a Synclavier. That's really all I can say…

These last three shouldn't really be high on your list since computer software is so awesome for that sort of thing that you'd almost have to be crazy or stupid (or incredibly wealthy, in some cases) to want to go that direction. I haven't had very good luck with the S2000. I'm not a big fan of programming wavetable synths, either, and I had so many problems with the WS plug I've never used it in a production.

The Synclavier and Fairlight largely DEFINED the 80s studio sound, so if you have the money YOU NEED one of these. I LOVE my Synclavier, but don't have it in the budget to maintain it very carefully. My STM module blew up, making sound design using samples pretty much pointless. The factory sounds are fabulous, of course, but I'm pretty insistent on recording my own samples. So most of my Synclav progging is in the FM right now, which for the time being is just fine. I'll get it repaired eventually. It's a lot of fun to work on, though. And another reason I don't do wavetable progging: This is so easy to do on the Synclav and sounds so awesome I'm too spoiled to go anywhere else for wavetable.

Speaking of wavetable, I need to rant for a sec: Reason has been AWESOME for producing those nostalgic kinds of sounds, but I've never been happy with how limited wavetable implementation has been in Thor and Maelstrom. I tend to just stay away from it (there's no customizing wavetables or building them from scratch).

Oh, and I didn't address drum machines. You can get 808s and 909s if you just want to (and have the money), but I'm plenty happy enough with ReBirth on the iPad. Those machines have been sampled to kingdom-come, and I'd rather just use the samples than the original instruments. Another AWESOME thing about Reason is ReDrum, which is basically an evolved 808/909 that lets you load whatever drum samples you want. The original 808/909s were often customized and modded, and every now and then you can find clones of them on eBay. If you have any of the DCO or VCO synths and FM synths I mentioned earlier, you can create nearly identical sounds, create MIDI loops, and record the results to your mix. Never, EVER take the ability for any keyboard to produce drum sounds for granted. Also, don't forget that synths like the Korg M- and T-series and 01/W had AMAZING drum sounds that could readily compete with expensive samplers like the Emulator. Never take those for granted, either.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2014, 7:07 am

Wow stolen synth??? Shock 8O

If you want authentic FM synthesis for very cheap price I recommend Yamaha TX81z.
Its a sound module so just attach a MIDI keyboard or controller to it, and works great.
It is considered an underrated synthesizer. But it has high quality FM sounds.
Usually costs only about $20 US. Super cheap FM in a compact size. :D

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2014, 1:24 am

MannyBoo wrote:

If you want authentic FM synthesis for very cheap price I recommend Yamaha TX81z.
Its a sound module so just attach a MIDI keyboard or controller to it, and works great.

Good advice. You get more waveforms with the 81z. Just my opinion here, it's not quite as "authentic" sounding as the DX7 range.

And…yeeeeeeaaaah….who the [f-bomb] steals a [expletive] DX7??? You can't get any money for it on the street. Mine had a bad battery and I'd erased most of the factory sounds and replaced them with me own. No biggy because I sysex dump all my good stuff that I care about, but STILL…if you're going to steal something, have the good sense to walk out with a Korg M3 or a Triton, or a Yamaha Motif…something GOOD.

That be like you got two drug dealers on opposite street corners…one is selling heroin while the other is selling old empty cans of Reddi-Whip for the leftover nitrous. You don't go through dumpsters to sell good dope, and you don't steal a DX7 from a poor guy's shed!

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 8:23 am

AngelRho wrote:
MannyBoo wrote:

Good advice. You get more waveforms with the 81z. Just my opinion here, it's not quite as "authentic" sounding as the DX7 range.

And…yeeeeeeaaaah….who the [f-bomb] steals a [expletive] DX7??? You can't get any money for it on the street. Mine had a bad battery and I'd erased most of the factory sounds and replaced them with me own. No biggy because I sysex dump all my good stuff that I care about, but STILL…if you're going to steal something, have the good sense to walk out with a Korg M3 or a Triton, or a Yamaha Motif…something GOOD.

That be like you got two drug dealers on opposite street corners…one is selling heroin while the other is selling old empty cans of Reddi-Whip for the leftover nitrous. You don't go through dumpsters to sell good dope, and you don't steal a DX7 from a poor guy's shed!

The TX81z is definitely not the same sound as the original DX7 series, with more wave choices but only 4-operater FM engine. But at the usually cheap price under 20 dollars, its a good deal... But. For more authentic DX sound, or even better DX sound than the DX, there is the 1990s SY series by Yamaha. The SY-99 is the heavy flagship of them all. Its like an updated improved version of DX-7mkII, with same 6-operator FM engine, but added more features and improvements.

DX7s and the SY series are kind of common though. So its easy to find a DX or SY anytime. But you have to check about the memory battery life, dead keys, or not working disc drive in some models.