Writing difficulties and how to bring them up.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Twitch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Dec 2006, 11:25 am

I have terrible problems with hand writing anything. For one thing I'm in pain after the first 15-20 minutes (not so good in college lectures) and I can't keep up with the lecture taking notes. I'll end up with a paragraph or two after a two hour lecture. The other issue is essay exams. I can never finish everything in time and it's never very readable. Even when I write relatively slow I have really horrid handwriting. And while box letters work for addressing envelopes they aren't really smiled upon in essays. So what I want to know is how to bring up the problem. Would it show on a test for LD? If it would it won't be an issue. I just want to be able to do at least all of my non-math course written work on a computer. I've taken my laptop for taking notes before and found (not surprisingly) that I could keep up. I'd like to be able to use it for essay exams too.

"In what concerns you much, do not think that you have companions: know that you are alone in the world."

Henry David Thoreau

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

10 Dec 2006, 6:30 pm

I've just had a similar experience with my own Exams this year (which as a result are now over). I could actually blame my Primary teachers, because they failed to correct my writing posture! In any case, though, it should be acceptable to get a laptop for writing, as it was one of my options to take due to the slow writing process. The other option, which can apply to you also, is extended time in a separate room. I took this option because I didn't want my parents to waste sever hundred or thousand dollars on a laptop. My parents were able to bring it up to my dean (he's the head of my year/grade) and he was able to organize it in (there are students who get the option to do this every year).

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

Twitch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Dec 2006, 6:43 pm

I already have my own laptop(which I need a new battery for but I could certainly bring it and plug it in if allowed). And I'm estranged so my folks are out of the question. I think I should talk to the people at the school myself.

"In what concerns you much, do not think that you have companions: know that you are alone in the world."

Henry David Thoreau

MomofTom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2006, 9:53 pm

Please don't be afraid to approach the school for help. There are student services that can accommodate you, although I'm not certain of the requirements needed from you. For example, I don't know if the services need a specific diagnosis or a doctor's recommendation.

Either way, you might be able to make some good connections with support.

Twitch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Dec 2006, 10:06 pm

MomofTom wrote:
Please don't be afraid to approach the school for help. There are student services that can accommodate you, although I'm not certain of the requirements needed from you. For example, I don't know if the services need a specific diagnosis or a doctor's recommendation.

Well my school does free LD testing for students. That's why I was wondering if it would show up on that. And I have to wonder if the psychologist who informally diagnosed me (I went to her concerning SSDI) kept any record of our conversation. At any rate she told me to try to get a more formal diagnoses and if I can figure out who to go to that might accept my medical coverage (which could be hard, it's state/county coverage...I lose jobs like most people lose socks so I can't seem to support myself very well, if it weren't for my loving boyfriend I'd be in trouble.)

Henry David Thoreau

MomofTom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2006, 9:52 am

Twitch wrote:
MomofTom wrote:

Well my school does free LD testing for students. That's why I was wondering if it would show up on that. And I have to wonder if the psychologist who informally diagnosed me (I went to her concerning SSDI) kept any record of our conversation. At any rate she told me to try to get a more formal diagnoses and if I can figure out who to go to that might accept my medical coverage (which could be hard, it's state/county coverage...I lose jobs like most people lose socks so I can't seem to support myself very well, if it weren't for my loving boyfriend I'd be in trouble.)

As we are both in Michigan, I can tell you that if you have Medicaid for insurance, Community Mental Health in your county is a provider :-) It takes a while to get into the system, but it is well worth it, IMO. We are using CMH in our county to get additional therapy services for our son. Did I see in an earlier thread that you are looking for therapy services, or am I thinking of another person? Anyhoo, CMH is another good lead to try out.

Twitch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Dec 2006, 10:14 am

Well I have the Wastenaw Health Plan A. There are mental health services. I just don't know much about it! It's quite complicated in a way. I'd probably actually get referred to the person I'd need to see through my primary care provider.

I was just approved fairly recently so yeah I really don't know anything yet.

Henry David Thoreau

kyethra
Raven
Raven

17 Dec 2006, 12:47 am

You should ask whomever you ask about those sorts of things. My disability department at my university is great about helping students out- they like helping if possible.

Also, have you had a full neuropsychological profile done? Sometimes that helps.

Also you might want to get a doctor's notes allowing you to type instead of write those exams if it causes your hands to hurt and your doc won't hassle you too much about it. I have medical issues as well as having a learning disability and my doctor writes a letter to the disability department about my issue and ways it might be a problem or need accomodation. For example- I have fibromyalga. Problem- I get sick alot. Way to accomodate it- work with me on deadlines and don't penalize me if I am sick and miss class (especially for contagious stuff).

It might show up on a test- not sure- depends on the test, the tester, you, etc. Ask your school what they need and explain your problem.