Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Hotwheels
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Oct 2012, 8:06 pm

What are some fun hobbies that I could do to join in more with normal people? I'm bored of online gaming and it doesn't get me out of the house.

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2012, 8:43 pm

Hotwheels, I love your hat. Welcome to Wrong Planet.

Sorry I don't have any good suggestions for you, but I'm pretty sure you're wheelin' in the right direction with your question.

I have a co-worker who doesn't have autism and he isn't in a wheelchair, but this is how he is remarkable: He has deformed legs, his knees both crimp to the right and both his feet point to the right. He can walk without crutches but you can see that it's difficult; as if all movement is made from his hips, torso & shoulders and balance is precarious. On his crutches; he flies. He is a cashier at work.

He lives with his brother who has the same condition. Besides being cashiers they are also EMTs. They work for separate fire departments as rescue squad workers, they drive the trucks and perform emergency work.

I'm pretty sure that my cashier friend worked unbelievably hard just to be able to leave the house under his own power when he was a kid.

Go for it.

idratherbeatree
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Oct 2012, 11:16 pm

Can I ask in what way you are confined to a wheelchair?

Schizpergers
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Oct 2012, 3:23 am

I don't mean to be offensive, but I am curious to know how autism confines you to a wheel chair? I have never heard of this as being a symptom unless you have a co-morbid condition such as cerebal palsy. I've never heard of autism itself causing a physical disability other than clumsyness and/or sensory problems.

Sarah81
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Oct 2012, 6:33 am

Hotwheels wrote:
What are some fun hobbies that I could do to join in more with normal people? I'm bored of online gaming and it doesn't get me out of the house.

First step might be to go to a friend's house for a LAN party. Bring some chips to share. You can get more comfortable with the social gathering without changing anything else about your hobby.

In time, you can progress to watching movies with your LAN friends, in your friend's house.

Then you and your LAN friends can all go out together for a movie.

Then you can start inviting other people with you and the LAN friends to the movies.

Then this entire group can go to a sporting match together.

Then the entire group can start their own sporting team together. Do something that is wheelchair friendly. Lawn bowls is a good social game. I believe any sport can be played in wheelchairs.

Other things that normal people do include ten pin bowling, going out for dinner, catching up individually for coffee, day trips to the beach, picnics, birthday parties etc.

If you don't like those typical things you can always try to find someone who shares an interesting hobby.

Just take it one step at a time. If you don't progress past step one, at least you will have fun doing it. LAN parties are great fun. And good on you for reaching out. Some people never get out of the computer chair. Speaking of not getting out of the computer chair, it's time I turned this machine off and phoned a friend.