Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2006, 5:39 am

Jamiroquai has some really nice songs. Another good band is the Jim Butler Trio.
As for vocalists, Bobby Vinton and Cliff Richard had plenty of good songs. I don't like all of Cliff's songs - "Wired For Sound" and "Dreamin'" weren't his best moments, but "Summer Holiday" and lots of others are well worth a listen.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2006, 6:23 am

Radio and TV stations tend to play a very limited selection of music. Just try a few different genres.

Sometimes it's easy to guess what someone will like - something which matches their personality, maybe? However with AS there may be a lot of hidden thoughts and tastes which could lead to some surprising musical choices!

Aspie94
Raven
Raven

15 Dec 2006, 9:01 am

I had a "Top 100" obsession in high school. I knew every song, every artist who sang it, and could go back many years and remember obscure songs and who sang them. I, however, did hate concerts because the music was too loud.
My PDD-NOS son has zilch interest in current hits. I don't care.

EmmaMom
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Dec 2006, 9:50 am

You know, I think the whole point of my original post was worrying about my teen not fitting in - her lack of interest in current hits..or anykind of genre..50's, country, anything. She's been exposed to all kinds of music all her life so if this isnt her thing...that's ok. When I have music on, she's fine, as long as its not too loud, not rap and not heavy metal (thats fine with me!! !) But if she's not into getting CD's, keeping up with the hits..so be it. I cant change her...just adapt to the way she is.
We're in week #3 since her dx so I still have lots to learn.

On a side note (pun intended) I remember when my daughter was around 7, I thought it would be a great experience to see Ray Charles in concert. I had seen him as a child and always loved his music. Couldn't get a babysitter so took my daughter with along.
Just as the great Ray Charles walked out on stage, my daugher lay her head down in my lap and prompty fell asleep for the entire concert. Well I was in heaven with a jazz legend giving a fantastic concert. A bit challenging when he starting belting out "What I'd Say" and "Hit the Road Jack" (my favorites), trying to clap, move to the music and not wake my daughter. The minute Ray walked off the stage, my daugher woke up! So that was her first jazz concert!

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2006, 5:43 am

Some years ago, I had to take my older daughter (then 2 and not AS) to a Leo Sayer concert. The concert was wonderful but I wasn't sure how my daughter would like it but she was fine. She was still breastfeeding and fell asleep partway through.

That was when Leo Sayer had his Roaring 40 tour.

I used to have an obssession with listening to American Top 40 every week, plus Countdown and Sounds Unlimited on the TV. I got a bit jack of Top 40 shows when the Aussie Top 40 went silly but I still keep up an interest in lots of different kinds of music.

Not fitting in with the current crop of teens isn't a bad thing, I can assure you. Maybe your daughter has more mature tastes in music than the teenybopper stuff like Justin Timberlake and similar.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

mummadisaster
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jan 2007, 9:43 am

I was HUGELY into music as a child and as a teen - still love the 70s disco era and have all those great hits on my MP4. For years every night I would go into my room after dinner and listen to music for years in the dark and dance around the room in my own little world. In fact, I spent a hell of a lot of time in fantasy land, as I had no siblings to fight with, and my mother was always in front of the TV (still does... hehe!!). Have grown out of that now of course. My son however has no real interest in listening to music, he is too obsessed with gaming to listen to music, except when we are in the car he insists on listening to a hip hop/rnb station just to annoy me. I bought him a cd player/karaoke machine for Christmas 2 years ago and I think he has used it twice in the entire time. It is gathering dust in his room. I would have killed for something like that when I was younger, but only records and tapes existed back then.

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2007, 9:53 am

All of my kids are very interested in music, but it is almost always very obscure music. My oldest son listened to Irish, ska, and other off the wall music. I liked his stuff, amazingly enough. One of the best bands that he listened to was The Living End, from Australia. They are wonderful -- kind of really musical punk. My daughter listens to music that seems almost like folk music. She likes Elliott Smith, the Weepies, etc. She's discovered Simon & Garfunkel, and is listening to that a lot. Both kids abhor Top 100 music, and they search for good stuff on I-Tunes, or a band's website, or MySpace sites.

My youngest has a strange obsession with techno and disco music, because that's what's on the DDR games. We all would like to steer him away from that stuff -- it's annoying!

Kris

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2007, 9:04 am

Aww, disco and techno aren't so bad.

I can really relate to what another poster said earlier on - I was obssessed with the Top 40 since about age 15 and even now, remember heaps of obscure songs. I never missed an episode of Countdown until I started work and used to listen to American Top 40 with Kasey Kasem, Australian Top 40 and local top 40's.

I still like a lot of the music from when I was a teenager and younger person but have also got interested in a wider variety of music.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

solid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jan 2007, 10:14 am

trance is a good music genre its very relaxing yet cool at the same time

Stop talking trash

DerekD_Goldfish
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jan 2007, 11:43 am

Im a big music fan but got into it relativly late at 16
I generalt hate most popular stuff and I think trying to force music on your daughter could be wrong she will
take it up herself in time or maybe she wont but I dont think you should be activly trying to get her into the latest sounds
(assuming thats what your doing if Im mistaken I apologise)
I was forcefed loads of Irish Trad as a kid and its one form of music I cant stand to listin to now

TennisFanatic
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jan 2007, 1:30 pm

solid wrote:
trance is a good music genre its very relaxing yet cool at the same time

I LOVE trance!! :D

My favorite genre of trance would probly be Vocal Trance

If anyone likes listening to Internet Radio, I would recommend checking out Digitally Imported (http://www.di.fm)! !

This site has many different channels of "electronica", including: Trance, Vocal Trance, and Ambient...

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2007, 4:18 am

Motown and 70's soul and disco is often good to listen to also.

It's pointless to try and pressure a child into liking a particular type of music and if they "don't fit in" well that is the other people's problem - not hers.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

daisydiana
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jan 2007, 9:30 am

Hi, I cant really relate that much because my son loves music as long as its not too loud as you must know they are quite sensitive when it gets too loud. His favorite music is crazy frog i think it drives me crazy he plays the same song over and over and makes the same gestures every time. The song is called we are the champions.

Anyway good luck and keep trying.

qotsafan77
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jan 2007, 2:15 pm

My 6yo loves music. It's probably his biggest interest after reading. He taught himself to read at age 3. He could actually read before he could speak.

I had a lot of trouble getting him to go to sleep until his OT suggested low volume classical music at bedtime. It worked like a charm. When he's awake it's so fun to listen to him, because he makes up his own lyrics to instumentals.

He loves Red Hot Chili Peppers and Jack Johnson.
He is obsessed with Laurie Berkner, which sometimes drives me crazy!! !! !

patricia
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Jan 2007, 6:11 pm

Steve used to love music, loved singing and dancing and being sung to. And now seems to ignore or actively dislike it. His favorite was "Puff the Magic Dragon" I can't listen to that tune without feeling a huge loss of my favorite singing and dancing partner.

Angel_UK1
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jan 2007, 5:42 pm

Now you know this is an interesting thread. Now I think about it my son who is 8 has never asked for me to put a cd on.
Some of my songs he will sing along to but some he says are way to loud.
Sometimes feel he is the parent and I am a naughty child,lol.
I play Happy Hardcore, DJ Pulse, DJ Cammy etc, so yes i guess the bass does bang a bit.
Now my daughter who has a statement and has some autistic tendencies nags me constantly to play music. She loves it. Guess no matter about them both havng some similarities in ASD's still means they are different little people,lol.