Please give me an example of a typical romantic relationship

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

impulse343
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Oct 2012, 5:02 pm

As the title says, please give me an example of a typical romantic relationship. I'm looking for it to have the main phases:
1) Pre-relationship
2) Going out
3) Considering each other a couple
etc.

I also have no idea as to how romantic relationships work, how they're initiated, what role "flirting" plays in them, and so on.

civrev
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Oct 2012, 5:48 pm

1) Meet someone who you would like to go on a date with and who wants to go on a date with you, and set one up.
2) Get to know that person and allow them to get to know you, to find out if you are compatible.
3) A mutual decision after you've been dating for a bit and decide that you are compatible.

Everyone is different so there is no typical way romantic relationships work, but that's how they're often initiated(not always). Flirting is one way to show your interest in going on a date or becoming intimate with someone, and if you're adept at social cues you can use their responses to decide their interest back.

diniesaur
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2012, 7:55 pm

civrev wrote:
1) Meet someone who you would like to go on a date with and who wants to go on a date with you, and set one up.
2) Get to know that person and allow them to get to know you, to find out if you are compatible.
3) A mutual decision after you've been dating for a bit and decide that you are compatible.

Everyone is different so there is no typical way romantic relationships work, but that's how they're often initiated(not always). Flirting is one way to show your interest in going on a date or becoming intimate with someone, and if you're adept at social cues you can use their responses to decide their interest back.

I know that's how it's "supposed" to work, but I've not ever actually seen a relationship work that way. The relationships I see are usually either initiated between friends who spontaneously start kissing on somewhere like a bus (I've not watched closely enough to know how this begins) or initiated between friends or acquaintances who magically start holding hands or cuddling during an outing (possibly a date, but possibly not) or on a bus.

I may have a skewed perspective because of my "upbringing"--a lot of marching band in high school, and band members do get horny.

DogsWithoutHorses
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2012, 9:53 pm

There is no one way, this is a stumbling block for a lot of people. Relationships are weird because they're both this really universal experience with common elements, and a highly individualized random unique occurrence...at the same time.

also, whoo marching band

If your success is defined as being well adjusted to injustice and well adapted to indifference, then we don?t want successful leaders. We want great leaders- who are unbought, unbound, unafraid, and unintimidated to tell the truth.

civrev
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Oct 2012, 1:00 am

diniesaur wrote:
civrev wrote:

I know that's how it's "supposed" to work, but I've not ever actually seen a relationship work that way. The relationships I see are usually either initiated between friends who spontaneously start kissing on somewhere like a bus (I've not watched closely enough to know how this begins) or initiated between friends or acquaintances who magically start holding hands or cuddling during an outing (possibly a date, but possibly not) or on a bus.

I may have a skewed perspective because of my "upbringing"--a lot of marching band in high school, and band members do get horny.

That can happen too. If you're looking for a concrete set of steps to follow like you would in solving a long division problem, you'll be sorely disappointed. I gave you an example like you asked but it's far from being the only way things happen.