possibly have asperger's in the US Army

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

davesbn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Oct 2012, 11:15 am

I've been in the army for almost 3 years and my personality/communication problems which have not been officially diagnosed as anything are causing problems between me and my coworkers. I haven't been happy in the army at any point during my enlistment due to various conflicts between me and the army and the people I've had to work with so I would welcome a discharge. I'd like to know if anyone knows anything about the process of getting getting diagnosed in the army and discharged

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2012, 11:58 am

"Okay, he's a good steady soldier. He's just a by-the-book kind of guy and that's okay."

If you can get one officer or sergeant to take that or similar position and be your matter-of-fact advocate just some of the time, that might make enough of the different in the social dynamics.

Or, a discharge. And it seems like a diagnosis is the first step to both.

sacrip
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2012, 12:04 pm

I was in the army 5 years active duty before I knew about my Asperger's. If you're on a large base there should be a mental health clinic there (at Ft. Hood it's called 'Mental Hygiene Clinic') by the med center. Just go there and say you'd like some counseling. There's confidentiality, so you shouldn't have to worry about them calling your unit. I'd be careful about saying outright, "I want to be diagnosed for Asperger's" since it'll sound too much like you're trying to get yourself out of the army early, which they'll try NOT to do. But if all of your symptoms match the criteria then it'll be hard to deny when it's in black and white in the book.

Turning your diagnosis into a discharge is another matter, one I'm not qualified to give advice on. You'd have to show that it's NOT in the army's best interest to keep you around, and considering the screw-ups they DO keep around, it'll be an uphill battle. Honestly, if you have 3 years in, you should be close to your discharge date anyways, I'd say just ride it out and get your honorable.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 3:41 pm

davesbn wrote:
I've been in the army for almost 3 years and my personality/communication problems which have not been officially diagnosed as anything are causing problems between me and my coworkers. I haven't been happy in the army at any point during my enlistment due to various conflicts between me and the army and the people I've had to work with so I would welcome a discharge. I'd like to know if anyone knows anything about the process of getting getting diagnosed in the army and discharged

My friend has HFA and is schizotypal. He joined the Army and went to Iraq after losing his job led to a mental breakdown. He is also a vegan, which made life in the Army difficult. As long as you are fine with a dishonorable discharge, it's not hard to get out. He also had problems with his co-workers, ended up going AWOL, but went back before the time limit for more serious charges. Gave all his money away to relatives who now don't speak to him. Avoided prison, but now lives in a veterans homeless shelter.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 3:56 pm

can't you just do a 'Corporal Klinger?'

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 4:35 pm

thomas81 wrote:
can't you just do a 'Corporal Klinger?'

Not these days. They would just say you are transgendered and probably give you a change in uniform.

ravenloft68
Raven
Raven

29 Oct 2012, 8:23 pm

I was in the Army 88-92. I didn't know I had HF-AS at the time. All I could do was the best I could and ETS'ed in 92. Went for college after that. All can say is MAKE SURE you get an ((Honorable)) discharge! Employers look for this. If you signed up for 4, you're pretty close anyway. Check your College Benefits as well.