I've had two people reject my AS diagnosis...

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

KnarlyDUDE09
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2012, 1:55 pm

Well, I've had two people tell me that they don't think I have Asperger's already...honestly, I really don't care about their opinions, anyway.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNjuB4 ... WnSA552Xjg

Tsproggy
Toucan
Toucan

09 Oct 2012, 1:58 pm

Right, that's why you went to 2 different people to get their opinions.. Guess you'll have to change that little field in your profile >.>

"Diagnosis: Have Aspergers - Diagnosed"

gretchyn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2012, 1:59 pm

KnarlyDUDE09 wrote:
honestly, I really don't care about their opinions, anyway.

You do; otherwise, you wouldn't have bothered to create a new topic about it. ;)

But I totally understand where you're coming from. I'm in the process of getting diagnosed, and I mentioned my suspicions to a family member who said, "I just don't see it." Of course you don't! I act all the time! But man is it tiring...

/hugs

Last edited by gretchyn on 09 Oct 2012, 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KnarlyDUDE09
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2012, 2:00 pm

Tsproggy wrote:
Right, that's why you went to 2 different people to get their opinions.. Guess you'll have to change that little field in your profile >.>

"Diagnosis: Have Aspergers - Diagnosed"
No...I mean two relatives of mine are in denial.- Sorry, I should've rephrased.

Tsproggy
Toucan
Toucan

09 Oct 2012, 2:03 pm

You'll meet a lot of people like that, they'll be like "nah man! You're just shy! Once you have sex that'll change!", or " You just need to party more!" -.- Best just to ignore them. Plus, no use in trying to convince anyone. You know how your brain works and that should be all the confirmation you need.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2012, 2:06 pm

After being diagnosed by a knowledgeable and skilled professional, it shouldn't matter what someone who is neither knowledgeable or skilled in diagnosing AS thinks.

KnarlyDUDE09
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2012, 2:08 pm

gretchyn wrote:
KnarlyDUDE09 wrote:
honestly, I really don't care about their opinions, anyway.

You do; otherwise, you wouldn't have bothered to create a new topic about it. ;)
I don't really care about their actual opinion; I'm just surprised about their reaction to it.

gretchyn wrote:
But I totally understand where you're coming from. I'm in the process of getting diagnosed, and I mentioned my suspicions to a family member who said, "I just don't see it." Of course you don't! I act all the time! But man is it tiring...
I so badly wanted to tell them about what goes on my head and how difficult it is for me in many situations, but they just didn't seem worth the bother.

KnarlyDUDE09
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2012, 2:11 pm

Tsproggy wrote:
You'll meet a lot of people like that, they'll be like "nah man! You're just shy! Once you have sex that'll change!", or " You just need to party more!" -.- Best just to ignore them. Plus, no use in trying to convince anyone. You know how your brain works and that should be all the confirmation you need.
Yes, I suppose so...I will ignore them.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2012, 2:12 pm

KnarlyDUDE09 wrote:
No...I mean two relatives of mine are in denial.- Sorry, I should've rephrased.

My aunt think that I'm just a narcissist who just wants to be a special autistic savant.
But of course I'm not a savant, just a normal autistic person and I don't even want to be that, I don't know why she thinks that...! 8O

But know she broke up the contact to me and even my mom because of me being transgender.

Well, some ppl will never get it, but I don't care anymore. Life is going on...! :wink:

Last edited by Raziel on 09 Oct 2012, 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eukanuba
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Oct 2012, 2:28 pm

There's a guy I know who told us he had AS, I was the first to tell him he must be mistaken, even when he pulled out a little card confirming it. The more I thought about it the more I realised how like him I was, in fact if I didn't know him I'd probably say I'm not "bad" enough to be AS. But he functions perfectly well outwardly, and so do I. It's the things that go on in your head that people don't see for me, all the social things that I've had to learn intellectually rather than innately. Basically doing my best to pretend to be "normal" but always feeling like an outsider watching myself pretending.

I think if people don't see it in you, it means you've done a really good job of learning how to get along with everyday life and you shouldn't feel bad for it.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2012, 3:02 pm

Tsproggy wrote:
You'll meet a lot of people like that, they'll be like "nah man! You're just shy! Once you have sex that'll change!"...

Okay, that one made me chuckle. Next time someone pulls that line out on you (assuming you're the target of this line), kindly assure them that I've been married twice, fathered a child (who is even more autistic than I am), and have indeed had Teh Sexytimes, and I'm every bit as aspie as ever I was.

Tsproggy
Toucan
Toucan

09 Oct 2012, 8:27 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:
Tsproggy wrote:
You'll meet a lot of people like that, they'll be like "nah man! You're just shy! Once you have sex that'll change!"...

Okay, that one made me chuckle. Next time someone pulls that line out on you (assuming you're the target of this line), kindly assure them that I've been married twice, fathered a child (who is even more autistic than I am), and have indeed had Teh Sexytimes, and I'm every bit as aspie as ever I was.

Lol, yea I've been the target of that a few times. I'm not naive enough to think that but apparently my mom and sister do -.-

LonelyLoner
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Oct 2012, 8:49 pm

I know how that is...and even once you're diagnosed, people will say that AS is over diagnosed:/

analyser23
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2012, 9:19 pm

The question I ask these people is:

"Do you know what Asperger's is?"

Then see how much they truly do know about it. Once you realise they basically know bugger all, then you won't feel so bad, and they will realise they have no position to comment.

If they DO know a lot about it, then ask them how well do they know YOU? Are they with you 24/7? Are they inside your head?

Once again, once you and they realise how poorly they answer this question, all will be resolved generally.

Finally, ask them if they are a qualified psychologist or psychiatrist who works with adults with Asperger's?

No again?

End of discussion.

KnarlyDUDE09
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 1:42 am

analyser23 wrote:
The question I ask these people is:

"Do you know what Asperger's is?"

Then see how much they truly do know about it. Once you realise they basically know bugger all, then you won't feel so bad, and they will realise they have no position to comment.

If they DO know a lot about it, then ask them how well do they know YOU? Are they with you 24/7? Are they inside your head?

Once again, once you and they realise how poorly they answer this question, all will be resolved generally.

Finally, ask them if they are a qualified psychologist or psychiatrist who works with adults with Asperger's?

No again?

End of discussion.
My mum defended me and asked the latter question; they stopped voicing their opinion after that. :) - Good advice.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 2:10 am

You have an official Dx, therefore I think it is safe to say you have it. I have asked others their opinion to try and gauge if my suspicions are correct and have had responses from "Definitely! it's like you are from a different planet!" to "no, you're just quiet" (from people who don't know me well), to "You don't have Asperger's, you're just an a**hole!". The person who made the later comment though seems to have come around to my point of view now.

The point is that opinions are like bellybuttons: almost everyone has one. Just because someone says something doesn't mean their opinion has any weight behind it. I would also be careful about who you tell. Keep it to as small a group of people as you feel is necessary because most people really have no idea what it means to be autistic spectrum. They see extreme examples represented in the media and think that to be autistic spectrum you need to be completely disconnected from reality, non-verbal and completely incapable of taking care of yourself or caring about the needs and feelings of others. Thus, anyone they see who does not fit this stereotype can't be autistic in their eyes. Most don't want to be educated either. NT's typically do not value knowledge for it's own sake and so they will tune you out when you try to explain it to them.