Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

weather1man
Toucan
Toucan

12 Dec 2006, 8:53 am

I don't care what anyone says but when you can't play sports, and I mean any sports, without making a total fool out of yourself you are doomed for making many friends. Boys AND girls like to play sports. When people see that I can't play well, they are like uh, practice more, you'll get there, or just terrible looks when I screw up there whole game. So

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2006, 9:24 am

How old are you?? I remember the agonies of High School sports ! !! I was so bad at Baseball, the other guys (NT's) actually cheered when I finally hit the ball. But there are other things in life, and once you move along to college life, it's easier. Then you can be a fan, without being a participant. The best deal is to study photography, and take pictures of the women's teams ! !!

keats
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Dec 2006, 11:01 am

This is just a random thought, but if you would like to play a sport or be more physically active through sport (which I've found is useful with my AS both in terms of stress-reduction and improving my social skills and confidence) have a look at the martial arts.

It took me years to find that this was the right "sports" niche for me. You'll have to shop around to find a good school (and a beat em up school is not a good school, a good school is one that has experience working with children and adults with various health issues: asthma, etc and up to and including ADHD and AS--though AS might not be something they specifically know about.)

Ultimately though you should make a decision about sports based on what you want to do. I know people with OCD who are distance runners, I've known other folks with learning disabilities who were wrestlers, weight-lifters, etc. While the team sports get a lot of notice, there are nice options where the action is more one-on-one and focussed.

-keats

Seraphas
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Dec 2006, 8:55 pm

I always found that I really struggled learning new sports, or new motions for my body to go through. But i also found that after a while i could become quite proficient.

eg. Sports at high school would consist of one term of one sport then next term there would be a new sport. I'd normally be one of the worst at the start, as my body tries to get used to say swinging a cricket bat, but then i'd actually end up fairly decent at it by the end of the term.

In other words, that practise idea might actually work. Just make sure you can do it where noone else can see you so you don't have too feel bad if you fall over or something while you're learning :).