Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 6:27 am

I've been trying to stop skin picking for ages and no matter what I try to replace it with it's not enough...I also want to pick. I tried wearing gloves or covering my hands and fingers with other things but this doesn't last...I can't stand having my hands not free. Then I realized this morning that I scratch at the side of my mattress in the mornings. I lie on my side and put one hand over my exposed ear (to block out the noise my mom makes when she gets up early in the morning to get ready for the day) and then I scratch at the side of my mattress with my other hand..... usually I fall asleep again......couldn't this morning. Maybe I just need something else to scratch.......it would have to have the right texture though. I keep telling people I need to be de-clawed when I talk about my skin picking but maybe I just need a scratching post. :D

A_floating_moon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Oct 2012, 9:03 am

The title of this post made me laugh.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 1:30 pm

Well, I wouldn't declaw a cat, so I couldn't declaw you, either! It's a mean thing to do to a cat. Or a person.

But--you know, that scratching post idea has merit. What if you were to find something that you enjoyed scratching or picking at, and use that instead? Maybe it wouldn't be as satisfying, but at least you wouldn't be hurting yourself.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 2:22 pm

Callista wrote:
Well, I wouldn't declaw a cat, so I couldn't declaw you, either! It's a mean thing to do to a cat. Or a person.

But--you know, that scratching post idea has merit. What if you were to find something that you enjoyed scratching or picking at, and use that instead? Maybe it wouldn't be as satisfying, but at least you wouldn't be hurting yourself.

I wouldn't de-claw a cat either........and I didn't when I had a cat...... I agree that it's mean because it takes away their natural defences.....it's like cutting off a persons hands.............I just say it as a joke. Sometimes it seems like the only thing that would stop me from picking my skin is if I just didn't have fingers to scratch! Still I wouldn't REALLY have them cut off or anything.........

:) I hope it works....I have't found anything with the right feel yet except the side of my mattress.