Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2005, 7:19 pm

The "Computer Stupididities" on rinkworks is worth a run thru for those tech savy among us

Quote:
Customer: "The computer i have now is a Pentium Hewlitt-Packard Bell."
Tech Support: "Are you sure it's not just a Hewlitt-Packard or maybe a Packard Bell?"
Customer: "Aren't they the same thing?"
Tech Support: "No, they are different."
Customer: "Oh, then maybe its a Pentium Bell."
Tech Support: "Ok."
Customer: "It has a Pentium III 166 in it."

Quote:
In 1986, a reporter from the local newspaper was interviewing me for a story on my company, which does software development. His first question was: "What language do you program in? MS-DOS or ASCII?"

Quote:
Customer: "I've heard about Windows Three Hundred and Eleven. Wouldn't that be better than Ninety Five?"

Quote:
My coworker (who uses Windows 95) was having trouble downloading a self-extracting archive off the net. In an attempt to make it easier to open the file with WinZIP, he associated *.EXE with WinZIP.

Nothing worked after that. Every program he tried to run would load WinZIP first. He couldn't even run REGEDIT to delete the association.

He ultimately had to reinstall Windows 95 and all his programs

Quote:
I once had a customer whose cdrom drive wasn't working -- I suspect the reason was old or missing drivers, but the customer had tried to fix the problem himself. He thought the problem was that the CD had to sit tightly in the tray, so she took a paper clip, put it through the center hole of the CD, and fastened it to the drive tray. When he tried to use the drive that way, he was greeted with grinding noises caused by the disintegrating drive mechanism.

Quote:
Recently we were trying to talk one of our customers through an installation of an SBUS card in a Sun SPARCstation 20. About halfway through the install, at a point where we had the top off the machine and had been swapping RAM, moving hard drives, and moving SBUS cards around for a while, one of the people at the remote site commented that "funny things" were happening on her monitor. It was at that point that I realized that she had never turned the computer off.

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2005, 8:11 pm

I love that site :lol:

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

AegNuddel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jan 2006, 3:45 pm

Bec wrote:
Quote:
"Warning: do not use if you have prostate problems." -- On a box of Midol PMS relief tablets.
Classic! :lol:

Quote:
"For external use only!" -- On a curling iron.
Where were they using it internally?! 8O

Quote:
"Do not use orally after using rectally." -- In the instructions for an electric thermometer.
Lovely. :lol:

Quote:
"Do not attempt to stop the blade with your hand**." -- In the manual for a Swedish chainsaw.
Sadly, I'm sure there are people out there that would do it.

Quote:
"Warning: knives are sharp!" -- On the packaging of a sharpening stone.
I really have nothing to say about this one.

Originally this also mentioned another part, but it's rather inappropriate. Anagrammed, it spells "sing late" although it is one word.

aprillove
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jan 2006, 3:59 pm

i'll have to do this one from memory as it is wrapped up right now. i bought a bungee jumper for isaiah for his birthday (it's tomorrow). it's similar to a pogo stick but a lot easier to use. it has a big padded bottom that kind of bounces that is hooked to a rope that has a handle to hold on it. you can bounce and do tricks on it.

anyway, my daughter and i were looking at it and on the paper it had something like this:

warning, not made for real bungee jumping. in fact we do not encourage at all tying the rope around your ankles and jumping from a bridge.

maybe tomorrow after he opens his presents i can post the exact quote.

april