What does FM stand for?

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 5:39 pm

starkid wrote:
What does FM stand for?

"Frequency Modulation"...

"Personal frequency modulation (FM) systems are like miniature radio stations operating on special frequencies. The personal FM system consists of a transmitter microphone used by the speaker (such as the teacher in the classroom, or the speaker at a lecture) and a receiver used by you, the listener. The receiver transmits the sound to your ears or, if you wear a hearing aid, directly to the hearing aid." (from http://www.asha.org/public/hearing/FM-Systems/)

For a person with hypersensitive hearing, an FM system can help filter out "background" noise.

Love transcends all.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 7:56 pm

I am speaking for my kids here...this is what I wish teachers understood. If it matters, they are both mainstreamed and functioning very well considering their diagnoses.

All kids only have 100% effort. No one can give more than 100%. Say typical kids come to school and need to spend 10% of their effort simply paying attention and 20% of their effort tending to social interpretations. That leaves them with 70% to focus on their school work. So, if they are putting 60% into effort toward school work, they are doing pretty good, but if they are putting 30%, they are not.

My kids come to school and need to spend about 30% of their effort simply paying attention. Then they need to spend another 40% doing their best to figure out the social stuff (and often failing). That leaves them with 30% and if they are putting forth 30% of their effort on their school work, they are going all out. There is nothing more than 30%. That is all they have. So while a typical kid may be slacking at 30%, my kids are not.

I also wish more teachers would be amazed by all they have accomplished instead of stacking them up next to their peers and seeing what they lack. For the rest of their lives, they will have to try harder than most of their peers, often for less results. I don't think most teachers stop to think what it must be like to be intelligent, to try your best, and to still not excel, or sometimes even succeed. It sucks. It sucks to know that you are smarter "than that," but that for whatever reason "that" is all you seem to be able to manage. Someone with my level of intelligence should be further along than I am, yet sometimes I feel like I have had to try too hard just to get to where I am. It's frustrating for me and hard to make peace with sometimes.

It's not that I would ever want any teacher to feel sorry for my kids. They do not need pity. But I do wish that more people would cut them the slack they deserve, but so rarely get because their issues are not so obvious.

LeeAnderson
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 7:57 pm

I wish they knew that what they see of me isn't the real me. That's all.

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 9:29 pm

In This Together:

I like what you said. I did not have that support. I feel, so many years later, like I got a little right now.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 11:13 pm

I'd like the more ignorant NTs to know that having short hair doesn't make me what they would call, a "ret*d". The reason that I choose to have short hair, is because I'm a Mod. I think those particular NTs need to wake up, smell the coffee and start to see the world as it really is.

JellyCat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Oct 2012, 2:54 am

I wish they knew that not everyone is as socially skilled as them, and that we don't do many of the things we do on purpose.

I also wish they knew that autism/Aspergers doesn't = mental retardation, nor does it mean we're shy. Something I'd especially like them to understand is that Aspergers is not a disease, at-least in the opinion of many professions.

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 8:33 am

I wish they understood, themselves and understood that empathy and body language is not universal.

And that our civilization has an extreme bias towards it. e

Comp_Geek_573
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 8:59 am

How about:

Most of social interaction for me is about putting up with and trying to find a glimmer of interest in topics that bore me to tears, and I've been conditioned to think that my own topics bore others to death. This is one major difficulty I have with social interaction. It's why I'm a wallflower most of the time.

AQ: 33

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 9:15 am

Comp_Geek_573 wrote:
How about:

Most of social interaction for me is about putting up with and trying to find a glimmer of interest in topics that bore me to tears, and I've been conditioned to think that my own topics bore others to death. This is one major difficulty I have with social interaction. It's why I'm a wallflower most of the time.

Meh it's unfair to both us and them. I think we have a strong ability to be interested in others, as long as their is some give. You can't be interested in a relationship to what appears to be a brick wall.

Illustrating how regular people behave is important. I'm a strong believer most NT's think there us. They have no idea the world they live in. If they better understood, not only would they be interested they'd have a better appreciation for what we go through.

Comp_Geek_573
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 9:19 am

Stoek wrote:
Comp_Geek_573 wrote:
How about:

Meh it's unfair to both us and them. I think we have a strong ability to be interested in others, as long as their is some give. You can't be interested in a relationship to what appears to be a brick wall.

Illustrating how regular people behave is important. I'm a strong believer most NT's think there us. They have no idea the world they live in. If they better understood, not only would they be interested they'd have a better appreciation for what we go through.

The thing about "give", though, is that it's not necessarily even. Most NT's (and even many Aspies!) find it HELL to keep strict score, and I also feel like I'm doing good in the world by giving more than I get in return! I'd say getting 10% of what I give is fine for me!

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 9:34 am

Comp_Geek_573 wrote:
Stoek wrote:
Comp_Geek_573 wrote:
How about:

The thing about "give", though, is that it's not necessarily even. Most NT's (and even many Aspies!) find it HELL to keep strict score, and I also feel like I'm doing good in the world by giving more than I get in return! I'd say getting 10% of what I give is fine for me!

This kind of entitlment sentiment, is totally useless and entirely self defeating. Playing the victim only goes so far.

We may have to make a much stronger attempt to try, but just by shear numbers NT's are equally burdened by our behavior.

Even for other Aspies, we can be quite disruptive.

Most people, would rather work with us, than against us, it's simply the inability to relate that causes so much trouble. There is a translation issue, and it needs to be adressed.

Comp_Geek_573
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 9:56 am

Stoek wrote:
Comp_Geek_573 wrote:
Stoek wrote:
Comp_Geek_573 wrote:
How about:

This kind of entitlment sentiment, is totally useless and entirely self defeating. Playing the victim only goes so far.

We may have to make a much stronger attempt to try, but just by shear numbers NT's are equally burdened by our behavior.

Even for other Aspies, we can be quite disruptive.

Most people, would rather work with us, than against us, it's simply the inability to relate that causes so much trouble. There is a translation issue, and it needs to be adressed.

Thing is, though, if that 10% drops to 0%, I become completely unwilling to give anything! To me, it's not really "giving" or "sharing" anything if I expect 100%+ of it in return!

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 11:15 am

What I wish other NTs and even other aspies to understand is that there are things in this world that I do not grasp nor understand that you all seem to do. As such, I see inconsistencies.

For example, it is said that one must not have the victim mentality or play the blame game. Why must I not? Why is this wrong and ignoble when those in the American revolution did some blaming, did something about it and won? http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charte ... cript.html

Blaming was done in the Declaration of Independence. In fact, how can one even solve a problem without blaming a given source whether it be a person or some kind of flaw in a system, machine or belief? This lack of blaming that is a part of the American cultural social veneer defies any rationale that I understand. This is one thing I wish NTs and some aspies understood.

Another thing I do not understand is this that I wish NTs and aspies especially conservatives would understand. inalienable according to the oxford dictionary means not subject to being taken away from or given away by the possessor. liberty according to the oxford dictionary means this. http://oxforddictionaries.com/definitio ... ?q=liberty

What I wish NTs and some aspies to understand is how liberty is an inalienable right at all and should be according to the definitions of liberty and inalienable that is taken from the oxford dictionary. According to these definitions no one should be imprisoned for a crime they commit. In fact, by this standard of liberty being inalienable how is it logically possible for the concept of crime to exist? If one must be punished for a crime such as murder then how can liberty be inalienable?

Here is another thing that I wish NTs and some aspies would grasp. When I ask questions they are not rethorical. They are literal questions expecting a literal response. There are certain things I do not grasp that you grasp and I wish NTs and some aspies would grasp this.

When one says about the workplace that one must start at the bottom I literally do not understand what that means. Here is why. I do not know where the bottom is at. What I am missing is a hierarchial chart for the workplace as a whole and that delinates every position that exists. I am missing the structural order to the entire workplace.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 7:27 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:
For example, it is said that one must not have the victim mentality or play the blame game. Why must I not?

These sayings mean: don't just blame people, do something to fix the problem they are causing, and after that, stop blaming. Blaming is ok; excessive whining without doing anything is not.

Quote:
When one says about the workplace that one must start at the bottom I literally do not understand what that means. Here is why. I do not know where the bottom is at. What I am missing is a hierarchial chart for the workplace as a whole and that delinates every position that exists. I am missing the structural order to the entire workplace.

"Start at the bottom," does not usually refer to a specific job. It means that an employee (usually new, inexperienced, or uneducated) cannot have the best job (CEO, manager, supervisor, owner, etc.) at any company when they first start working there. The "bottom" jobs are different at different companies, and there may be more than one job that is considered a "bottom" job, but they are usually the jobs with what is considered by most people to be the worst schedules (too many hours, not enough hours to make a living, working very early or late at night), most manual labor, least intellectually stimulating tasks, most dangerous work environment, lowest pay rate, least employment benefits, etc.

I'm not sure about "inalienable rights," but one definition of inalienable refers to things that cannot be transferred or sold.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 7:41 pm

Quote:
These sayings mean: don't just blame people, do something to fix the problem they are causing, and after that, stop blaming. Blaming is ok; excessive whining without doing anything is not.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! !! ! I see now what it means. Thanks Starkid!! !! Why can't people just explain this crap in plain english :P For me, I am writing certain essays challenging certain things people believe in America. I believe America, its government and instutitions are a reflection of people's beliefs and values. My goal is to help create something better and I am starting to lay down certain foundations for a better belief system.

Quote:
"Start at the bottom," does not usually refer to a specific job. It means that an employee (usually new, inexperienced, or uneducated) cannot have the best job (CEO, manager, supervisor, owner, etc.) at any company when they first start working there. The "bottom" jobs are different at different companies, and there may be more than one job that is considered a "bottom" job, but they are usually the jobs with what is considered by most people to be the worst schedules (too many hours, not enough hours to make a living, working very early or late at night), most manual labor, least intellectually stimulating tasks, most dangerous work environment, lowest pay rate, least employment benefits, etc.

I understand now. Why would anyone expect to start as a CEO, manager, supervisor, etc? Are there people who would want to start at these things?

Quote:
I'm not sure about "inalienable rights," but one definition of inalienable refers to things that cannot be transferred or sold.

I see.