Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

CharklesTimon
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Oct 2012, 3:29 am

Lately, I have discovered the world of Indie Video Games. They seem to follow a different pattern and inspiration than the big polished titles of Activision and EA. Are there any Indie Games that are worth looking at, or ones that you simply adore?

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 1:36 pm

Do you like incredibly deep strategy games? Check out AI War. Released in 2009, and they have been constantly updating it with both free patches and expansions(The fourth expansion just came out this past week). Just be sure to play the tutorial. The demo for the game has enough gameplay to give you an idea of whether it would be worth a purchase or not.

http://www.arcengames.com/w/index.php/aiwar-features

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 2:12 pm

Indie games I currently have.
Audiosurf
Beat Hazard
Castle Crashers
Garry's Mod
Killing Floor
Minecraft
Spelunky
Terarria
The Binding of Isaac

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Last edited by Aspiegaming on 23 Oct 2012, 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 2:24 pm

Also you can often get fantastic deals on Indie game bundles through Humble Bundle and Indie Royale.

slovaksiren
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 2:45 pm

I really love Cthulhu Saves the World. I the humor reminds me of Earthbound.

Knalraap
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Oct 2012, 3:28 pm

I've bought some indie games on steam, most of them I really enjoy.
Especially games like:
Adiosurf
Garry's Mod
BIT.TRIP
The Ball
Beat Hazard
Chime
Dear Esther
Eufloria
Hard Reset
Killing Floor
Limbo

I could go on.. :roll:

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 5:05 pm

To The Moon is a recent one that I like a lot, it's very different from most games, highly story-driven without a ton of actual gameplay. Certainly an interesting setup! Not to mention, the plot focuses heavily on autism so I think it's fitting for this forum!

http://freebirdgames.com/to_the_moon/

Cave Story is another good one that I'm sure most people have heard of, it's really difficult and frustrating at times but the exploration in it is so much fun!! It reminds me a lot of the old super metroid game. There's a ton of clones of the game also that are very fun as well.

Xenimus is one of the oldest and longest-running MMORPGs on the market, but it's relatively small and few people have heard of it. As far as I know it's basically developed and run completely by one person, so it does have its fair share of issues with bugs and hacking and stuff. The community was also pretty bad last I played it, lots of really rude/mean people. That said, it has some of the fastest-paced and most fun PVP combat I've ever seen in a MMORPG (on the small scale at least, larger fights are a bit hectic), and I've played a lot of them. The game world is really impressive too, there are literally thousands of "secrets" in the game to discover...the developer purposely added all sorts of hidden passages and things for players to discover on their own. It's definitely worth checking out if you like that genre!

www.xenimus.com

SilverShoelaces
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Oct 2012, 10:20 pm

I think my favorite is Terraria. :)

CharklesTimon
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Oct 2012, 11:13 pm

SilverShoelaces wrote:
I think my favorite is Terraria. :)

I have been thinking about trying that, but I ended up buying other things, such as:
Legends of Grimrock
Dungeon Defenders (and all DLC) [was a sale]
Torchlight 2 (perfect if you loved Diablo 2)

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 12:23 am

Possibly my favourite game ever, Braid, is an indie puzzle game. It's not for everyone, though. The best way to describe it is that solving a puzzle in Braid feels exactly like finally understanding a mathematics subject. Should be "required reading" for anyone who enjoys careful thinking.