Is there anyone else who is very slow at cleaning jobs?

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 2:37 pm

Plodder wrote:
I think cleaners should be given a "health hazard / yuckiness factor" bonus every time they are required to clean somebody else's toilet, or wash somebody else's clothes. I'm not being funny. I mean it. If I were ever rich, I would hire my own personal housekeeper, and pay them a smashing wage, because I think that cleaning is such a tiring job that it deserves a bigger wage than a job where you just sit at a desk all day, and cleaners should be given just as much recognition and high pay as high-flying executives are.

Sorry. Random high-jack rambling there...

Hear! Hear! I was a motel maid for a little while and I couldn't believe some of the crap people would do when they knew somebody else was going to have to clean it up. A college baseball team left 50 styrofoam cups full of what I thought was Pepsi, until I poured the first one into the sink and saw the huge wad of chewing tobacco at the bottom. :eew:

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 4:33 pm

Plodder wrote:
SilkySifaka wrote:
androbot2084 wrote:
I'm slow at cleaning jobs but I get paid 33 bucks an hour. As long as I'm not standing around my boss can either be happy or get a robot to do the job.

Wow, that's lots.

I earn £6.19 an hour, which is about $9 dollars :(

Is that the current minimum wage?

It's practically exploitation. I think cleaners should be paid a lot more than they are in the UK. I disagree with the logic that says "if a job requires a university degree, the salary should be higher. If anyone can do it, the salary should be lower." I don't agree with that. I say that the more tiring or disgusting the job is, the higher the salary ought to be.

After all, soldiers are paid some sort of "danger" bonus whenever they are posted to war zones. I think cleaners should be given a "health hazard / yuckiness factor" bonus every time they are required to clean somebody else's toilet, or wash somebody else's clothes. I'm not being funny. I mean it. If I were ever rich, I would hire my own personal housekeeper, and pay them a smashing wage, because I think that cleaning is such a tiring job that it deserves a bigger wage than a job where you just sit at a desk all day, and cleaners should be given just as much recognition and high pay as high-flying executives are.

Sorry. Random high-jack rambling there...

Yes that is the current minimum wage in the UK, for someone over 22. It sounds like quite a lot in dollars to me, but that probably doesn't go very far in the US.

I think your 'yuck bonus' sounds like a great idea. I suppose the thing that people forget about cleaners is that if all the cleaners walked out the loss in productivity would be huge (as all other employees would have to clean their own toilets, desks etc) and that people would become ill. Most people don't think about this at all, they seem to be under the impression that everything is cleaned magically by fairies over night!

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Nov 2012, 8:21 am

Did a cleaning course in order to become a cleaner. Got the job and lasted one night. Too slow. Or so the boss said. I was working as quickly as possible and not taking breaks. Turns out I was moving quickly, but I was cleaning everything. I was advised to only clean whatever looked dirty and to leave whatever looked clean.

So I guess that would be my advice as given to me by professionals. Cut corners and only clean whatever looks dirty. I can see how that would save time.

MrObvious
Raven
Raven

02 Nov 2012, 3:54 pm

I grew up a janitor. Part of why I'm slow is because I'm ADHD PI (predominantly inattentive). If I am not medicated, my brain runs at half the speed. That might be something to look into. Also, learn to not worry about details as much. A lot of times I've noticed cleaning some banks here locally that if you clean thorough once a week you can get by with a lighter workload. When you vacuum, look at the carpet real fast and if you don't see anything, move on. If you are doing trash then vacuuming, turn the lights off in the offices not needing vacuumed, etc. When you do bathrooms, you can actually clean with Windex and it will kill germs even though it doesn't say it because of the ammonia. So unless the place is just filthy using Windex on the toilets/sinks isn't a bad idea. Try to avoid using rags for cleaning bathrooms and keep the mirrors only slightly wet with Windex because it will start leaving little fuzzies of paper towels. Eventually you will learn which areas are a) the worst soiled after each day, and b) which areas people don't care as much if it isn't cleaned as well as long as you can tell it's been done (no obvious mess on the desks, trash is done, floor doesn't have a bunch of little paper punches, etc.). HTH

custard9
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Apr 2016, 7:43 pm

Hello.

I found this post through a google search and then I decided to join this website. I don't have aspergers or autism but I do have OCD and am an HSP (highly sensitive person). I don't like labels anyway though.

I know this thread is a few years old so I don't know if anyone will see this but I wanted to add my 2 cents. After over a year of struggling to find the right job, I found cleaning. It is hard work and I never thought I'd be doing it but I like it because I can work alone and don't have to deal with people or work in a chaotic environment. I get overwhelmed very easily. I Like it because it's quiet and solitary and simple.

Right now I am in the process of trying out many clients in order to pick a few solid long-term ones. I have found a few people who seem kind and caring and it seems like a good gig. I am doing weekly gigs so I basically do 1/2 the house each week, alternating between the main floor and the second floor.

Right now I do 3 hours a week for most clients. I am still fairly new to all of these gigs but I am really struggling to do it in only 3 hours. I know I will get a bit faster in time, but I am just feeling like I can't do only 3 hours for an entire main floor (living room/kitchen + bathroom) thoroughly. I did a gig today in 3 hours and I did finish in time but my god it exhausted me so much. And I was always worrying about the time. I felt like crying because I hate working under pressure and trying to clean fast. I end up hurting my body because my muscles get more rigid and I pay less attention to my body when I clean this way. And it's stressful to try and clean fast and thoroughly at the same time. It makes me really hate what I would otherwise find meditative and enjoyable.

I don't charge much: $15/hr. I have been told most cleaners charge more. So I charge $45 for the 3 hours. But I am really feeling like I need 4 hours. Honestly I would even do it in 4 hours for the same price just so I can at least enjoy my work and not feel stressed and rushed the whole time and sore and completely exhausted and depleted afterwards. I feel that I have much more energy after a moderately-paced 4 hour gig then after a fast 3 hour gig.

I am not sure what to do. After doing 3 hour gigs for a few weeks now I really think my gut is telling me I need to make it 4 hours. I have a good feeling about a few of these clients, they seem like really good people - they treat me with kindness and respect. But I don't want to push it. And some of them have had previous cleaners who did the same job in 3 hours. I am not sure if I should say that I need 4 hours to do a thorough job, and say I will do it for the same amount, or ask for more. I already asked one client for 4 hours and she said no, but she probably assumed I wanted an extra $15/week so I understand not wanting to pay me $60 more per month. But I am thinking about maybe asking for $50 for 4 hours/week. It's actually more than I need (had already done my budget and $45 per gig was fine) so I would actually be happy to make $50 and work an extra hour at an even pace where I can enjoy my work. That way I am only asking for $5 more per week, or $20 more per month which doesn't seem like a lot. I don't know if I should wait and prove myself first.. work for them longer.. or just ask off the bat. And if I should ask for $50 for 4 hours or just keep it at $45 and add an hour so I can actually breathe and enjoy my work. I would honestly rather do that and get paid the same than do what I am doing now which is killing me.

I know lots of cleaners are somehow faster than me.. but maybe they charge more or are less thorough. Or maybe they are superhuman. I don't know. It's hard not to feel bad about myself when I know I am slow. But I am thorough, honest, reliable, loyal and kind. So I hope those are important qualities too. I didn't mean to make this post so long but given how exhausted and stressed I am after these gigs I guess I needed to vent my feelings. Not even sure if anyone will read this but thank you if you do and I much appreciate any feedback.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2016, 8:55 am

I suck at cleaning, and am slow at it.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2016, 6:27 pm

I can't stand the sound of hoovers, I used to cover my ears whist using one hand to control it when I could, but now i'm used to the sound but still get a bit agitated by the sound. A cleaning job would be my ideal job though, but there seems to be none out there.

MagicKnight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Apr 2016, 10:50 am

I live alone so I have to clean the house myself. I was used to hire someone to do a more thorough cleaning every two months or so but it's been a while since I last did that. It takes me five times longer than a professional to get the same job done and yet it never looks as good.

Joe90 wrote:
I tend to worry that I haven't done something or have missed bits when vacuuming like not noticing bits on the floor, then being accused of not doing it properly. So I tend to take twice as long with the vacuum, due to the fear of looking like I haven't done it properly.

That's me. Moreover, the way I conduct the whole process is anything but orderly. "I think I missed that bit, I'll go again... no wait, there... crikey, I'm stepping on the vacuum! Hey I did that bit already how come it's dirty like that!". That's interesting because I was told Aspergians are used to predictable patterns. I find it hard to organise myself. Anyway, I digress.

If there are tips? Sure! If I followed the next tips strictly I would be more productive, but for some reason I don't always do that. For the life of me I can't figure out why not.

. First and foremost check your cleaning supplies. Make sure everything is there and in condition. Clean the brooms. Empty the vacuum. Most important: wash and dry very well the shoes you'll be using.
. Put on some very old and comfortable clothes. If you look sexy in them please send pics. :roll:
. You should clean from top to bottom: ceilings, walls, sink, furniture, loo and lastly floor.
. Before hoovering the whole place, take the dirt out of corners with a broom and all becomes much easier (and cleaner).

Elfwink
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Apr 2016, 10:17 pm

Just because you can't see the dirt or germs, doesn't mean it's not there. <- Reason why I'll never get a job as a cleaner.