Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2006, 12:04 pm

Ok. There are some things that annoy me VERY, VERY much about all this dieting malarky (I don't know how to spell that).
(Yes, I know that I used to have anorexia, but that was related to another, more complex and severe illness)
Firstly, what is all this low-carb crap? Ok, I know that eating foods very high in carbohydates is bad for you, but things like bread, wholegrain cereal and oats (porridge) are very good for you, not only because they give you physical energy, but also mental energy. Why are people avoiding carbs at every possible chance to diet? One won't lose weight effectively if they cut out the carbs.
And not eating breakfast in the morning? Or a cup of coffee for breakfast? WHAT THE...? It has been proved in a medical trial that people skipping breakfast in order to lose weight were not only ratty and lacked concentration all morning, they also did not lose much weight, if any.
And also what's shocking is that people are buying low calorie BREAD (I saw this advertised on TV). That is disgusting! Normal Hovis granary bread is only 76kcal/slice. Is that too much to handle?

On another point, what is wrong with serving sizes these days? I see a typical orange juice serving as "250ml". I measured the volume of one of my NORMAL cups at home. 125ml OK, not 250ML!! !
And the cereal servings? 30g of cereal with 125ml milk? I did that and I had a conical pie of cereal in the middle of my bowl swimming in a sea of milk. Right. Lovely.

STARBUCKS and other cafés such as that one, are SATAN. Their caramel-blended-chocolate-frappucinos-with-marshmallows (I WANT TO THROW UP NOW). THAT IS NOT A VIABLE DRINK. THAT IS SUGAR AND CHEMICALS WITH SOME WATER AND PERHAPS SOME MILK. And the food there, it is so unhealthy! The only cafés I would ever think about buying food from (not only because of my food sensitivities - see below - but also because I want to care for my body, not ruin it!) are Pret A Manger and some French (but I mean FRENCH - not English imitations) cafés.

But aside dieting, there are those poor souls that are addicted to sweets. I think that the best thing is to have never eat them in the first place. I was born diagnosed hyperactive (now confirmed to be psychmotor overexcitability), so I had to avoid all sweets (except 75% chocolate, low-sugar biscuits, plain yogurt etc), and I had to avoid E-numbers and most colourings, perservatives and flavourings. Hence I got used to appreciating the subtleties of vegetables, fruit and good, but no-frills dinners. Only bad thing is that it is sometimes very hard for me to get enough nutrition into me at lunch as I cannot eat half the stuff! I often resort to quite a bit of bread. I look at the overweight/obese (not including those with health problems/mental illnesses etc) and I just feel sorry for them, and also feel disgusted at how they ruined themselves. Heart disease? Joint problems? Obesity (not overweightness) is a disability. And it is a sad one.

There.

Rant ended.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

14 Dec 2006, 12:19 pm

The low carb theory is without carbohydrates your body can not metabolize protein
very well. So you eat an ultra high protein diet (usually loaded with saturated fat) and
it amounts to eating less net energy input than if you replaced a small amount of that protein with carbohdrates(equal theoretical energy amouts). Some evidence to suggest
its one of the more effective(loosing weight) diets, But is it healthy? I think their are
healthier versions that use say fish & chicken instead of beef & pork.

Myself the only diet I follow is I avoid trans fat, sat fat (some time) and sodium. I tend
to eat walnuts & fish oil tablets when ever I eat a high saturated fat meal. I take potassium pills(or high potassium foods) when I eat alot of sodium.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2006, 12:38 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
The low carb theory is without carbohydrates your body can not metabolize protein
very well. So you eat an ultra high protein diet (usually loaded with saturated fat) and
it amounts to eating less net energy input than if you replaced a small amount of that protein with carbohdrates(equal theoretical energy amouts). Some evidence to suggest
its one of the more effective(loosing weight) diets, But is it healthy? I think their are
healthier versions that use say fish & chicken instead of beef & pork.

Myself the only diet I follow is I avoid trans fat, sat fat (some time) and sodium. I tend
to eat walnuts & fish oil tablets when ever I eat a high saturated fat meal. I take potassium pills(or high potassium foods) when I eat alot of sodium.

You are doing very well, and I agree with you. I take omega 3,6,9 oils, vitamins, minerals and extra vitamin B12 (I have some residual health problems, but I'd rather help them holistically). I also drink herbal teas (dandelion, ginger, fennel, peppermint and fruit teas), and when I have cereal in the morning, I use goat's milk, wholegrain/bran cereals, and I add pumpkin seeds and Gogi berries to it.
I am also a great fan of FISH and VEGETABLES and FRUIT.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2006, 1:16 pm

I hate how they're trying to make everything healthy! They ruined every single one of my favorite cereals by turning them into "whole grain". :? What's next? McDonald's becoming fat free and flavor free? I'm trying to gain weight, not lose it!

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2006, 2:05 pm

Lightning88 wrote:
I hate how they're trying to make everything healthy! They ruined every single one of my favorite cereals by turning them into "whole grain". :? What's next? McDonald's becoming fat free and flavor free? I'm trying to gain weight, not lose it!

Ah, but you must not gain weight on McDonalds and unhealthy cereals like Coco Pops. I know a hell of a lot about gaining weight, because I had a BMI of 14.6 only a couple of months ago. I gained weight on the likes of pine nuts, gingko nuts, walnuts, avocadoes, 75% chocolate, full fat (whole) goat's milk, yellow goat's cheese, lots of granary bread, and adding pumpkin seeds or nuts to almost every meal. Not to forget the fact that I was eating bananas and sultanas as snacks, and I was drinking 100% cocoa hot chocolate with whole milk every night before I went to bed.

Gaining weight is best done by eating only NATURAL full fat products, LIKE whole milk, nuts and white cheese (not reduced fat).

However, I understand what you mean by when they REDUCE THE CALORIES AND FAT of perfectly innocent foods like bread, milk, cheese and cereals. I saw a 4kcal can of soup and a 10kcal sachet of "drinking chocolate". It angers me! SKIMMED (NON-FAT) MILK?!?!?! YUCK!! !! !