any suggestions on getting along in hs?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

FallenFromSpace
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Dec 2006, 1:46 pm

i've been homeschooled a lot but i will be starting at a regular public hs after the holidays. does anyone have any suggestions for me for getting along ok in hs? i hear there are sometimes fights at public schools and i'd like to avoid those entirely. i'm not looking to be super popular but does anyone know anything that helps with not being a "target"?

logitechdog
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2006, 4:28 pm

Sorry but if someone targets you only way not to be is to show you can defend yourself people pick up on it, or if you do know the code is not to grass but these day’s most schools are strict on zero tolerance better to tell than hang your head behind it unless you step up for yourself and show that you can and will defend yourself …

Bet that's put the fear of hell into you :/ but only advice I have...

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

15 Dec 2006, 4:56 pm

*scratches head* I've never seen a fight break out at my public school, and certainly no one's ever targeted me--in my case, if physical violence was involved in an incident, I was the one who used it in an effort to force a verbal tormentor to leave me alone! (That was middle school. Kids are AWFUL in middle school. High school is much, much better.) As for stopping tormenting, I never figured there was a "code not to grass" at my middle school, and easily made friends with my counselor, who was also trying to figure out how the girls in the class "felt" in the style of Queen Bees and Wannabes and so often invited my friends and me to lunch, where we happily had fun talking to her. Making friends with counselors, if at all possible, is generally a good idea. I have also found that it pays to befriend the librarian and/or at least one teacher, because if you can do so you have an automatic "safe place" that you can go to during lunch if the cafeteria is too loathsome or if your study hall has a particularly annoying student in it, or similar. Libraries are usually the best, I think.

As for not being a target, first off try not to correct people too much, lie about your accomplishments (this seems obvious but there is one kid in my grade that everyone seems to hate because apparantly he believes himself to be much more popular, intelligent, etc. than he really is and cannot take a hint. I don't think he has AS that I can see--he's in my Physics class--and I don't see what everyone hates about him, as he's no more annoying in my eyes than half the other guys I've known, but then I've never spoken directly to him), etc. I've always found that being quiet and withdrawn until I can scope out what I need to know about the various people I have to interact with before making any overtures is a good idea, but perhaps you are more extroverted? Um... joining academic clubs or, if you are musically proficient, band is a good idea. In my experience, band people and academic geeks are very friendly to more introverted people and tend to be thrilled by deep reservoirs of knowledge on obscure topics, especially if the knowledge is related to the academic subject in the case of academic geeks.

If you can handle the courseload, I would take as many honors, AP, or equivelant classes as possible. In my experience, the students enrolled in such courses are far more willing to get to work and learn in class rather than mess about and possibly torment the Aspie kid. In addition, they tend to value knowledge much more. Also, the classes are more intellectually stimulating. You will be told that it is all very hard and it is impossible to take, say, more than one AP class or all honors classes. Take this with a large heaping of salt, especially if you learn quickly.

lkonantz
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Dec 2006, 8:13 pm

My advice is get involved in!! ! So ideas are band, choir, theater, speech & debate, and others. I was in band in high school and never had any problems with people. That way you meet people you have something in common with and talk to.

FallenFromSpace
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Dec 2006, 10:34 pm

thanx so much. it all sounds like very helpful advice. i fell i bit more prepared now. only one question. what does "the code is not to grass" mean?

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2006, 11:12 pm

To put it bluntly, "**** happens." Just be ready in case someone decides you're a target, for whatever reason. Even if you don't attract any undesirable attention, there's no guarantees that someone won't decide that you're worth picking on. Like has been said, seek out others with similar interests, be it in the arts, in sports, in after-school activities, academics ( such as AP classes as SolaCatella mentioned), whatever. That's not a guarantee that you won't have any problems, but it will certainly make things easier.

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

17 Dec 2006, 6:42 am

FallenFromSpace wrote:
thanx so much. it all sounds like very helpful advice. i fell i bit more prepared now. only one question. what does "the code is not to grass" mean?

Judging from logitechdog's context, I would assume he meant "if someone is bothering you, don't tell an adult no matter what." *shrugs* Again, it's not precisely anything I've ever encountered.

thatguy656
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jan 2018, 9:01 pm

heres how i did it and it worked pretty well

first you have to not limit your self to one group of people or freinds what i mean is be freinds with the jocks nerds emo kids etc etc how do you infaltrate their ranks you may ask? be nice i know its sound realy dumb but it works if you're nice to them theyll accept you and if they dont then you shouldnt hang with them in the first place i remember one piticular time i went to this house party and befreinded a bunch of druggies (without taking drugs myself im pretty straight edge) i didnt judge them for their lifestyle choices and they really liked that thats the other thing dont judge and be open minded and that how i;

became the quarderback of the football team
went to multiple parties
dated 2 cheerleaders
lead the chess team to states
help record an ep for an emo band
and was an all around likeible guy

i finish my senior classes tommarow so i hope this helps