Absolutely 41%  41%  [ 17 ]
Absolutely Not 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Undecided 46%  46%  [ 19 ]
Total votes : 41

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2012, 8:11 pm

I'm just afraid that the saga will be ruined with this new trilogy. I know the prequel trilogy sorta did that (personally despite some annoyances e.g. Jake Lloyd I think they're OK) but they're set before the originals. The originals was just a simple story of good vs evil and in the end the good guys win, the prequels were just leading up to the events of the originals. But this new trilogy will be set after Return of the Jedi. But maybe it'll be like Avatar the Last Airbender which lasted 3 seasons and the good guys defeat the bad guys and everything is happy in the end, but then there's this new show The Legend of Korra which I haven't seen yet because Nickelodeon hasn't shown it yet but I heard it's suppose to be good. Star Wars Episode VII is quite a long way away so I guess we'll see. I don't really mind Disney buying Lucasfilm but making another film does come into question. Trust me when the release date comes I'll probably be jumping for joy because I'll be having alot of time to think about this. I never really asked for a new film but I've always wanted Star Wars to be kept alive in many ways like in the Clone Wars animated series or this rumored live action tv series. Fingers crossed. Even if Episode VII isn't that good there's still VIII & IX to make up for it. At times I feel like a new Star Wars movie could be exciting but other times I feel like "no don't make another one please just leave it be". I'm very mixed on the subject and I freaking love Star Wars.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2012, 11:23 pm

tb86, I commend to your attention the Expanded Universe, or EU - the novels, comic books, video games, and other media productions taking place in the Star Wars universe. Any that are published with official approval from Lucasfilm Ltd are considered canon. So that means that somewhere outside the galaxy, even as Luke fires the torpedo that destroys the first Death Star, the Yuuzhan Vong are creeping closer to the Outer Rim (and already have scouts inside the galaxy, as revealed in one of Canderous Ordo's stories in one of the Knights of the Old Republic games)...

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2012, 11:26 pm

I'm all for new Star Wars; I love the Universe (I'm also one of those odd ones who really likes the prequels and their story; I liked the governments being played by the Sith and said play coming to fruition at the end of RotS).

You just need to bring on a decent director and some writers to put Lucas' stories onscreen, and all is well.

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2012, 3:33 am

DeaconBlues wrote:
tb86, I commend to your attention the Expanded Universe, or EU - the novels, comic books, video games, and other media productions taking place in the Star Wars universe. Any that are published with official approval from Lucasfilm Ltd are considered canon. So that means that somewhere outside the galaxy, even as Luke fires the torpedo that destroys the first Death Star, the Yuuzhan Vong are creeping closer to the Outer Rim (and already have scouts inside the galaxy, as revealed in one of Canderous Ordo's stories in one of the Knights of the Old Republic games)...

Whether they are canon or not depends on who you talk to. Lucas doesn't consider them canon for one thing. he considers them all as part of a separate parallel universe. Then again back in 2008 he even said in an interview that would never be an Episode VII, VIII and IX, and well, here we are.

I actually hope with Disney involved they move forward with the live action TV series as well. Imagine the ratings if they put it back to back with Joss Whedon's SHIELD TV series on ABC.

also Dillogic, I like the prequels, and one of my favorite things about them is something people seem to hate. The political back story. All the stuff dealing with Palpatine and his plot to gain power, I thought was pretty awesome.

TheNexus18
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Nov 2012, 12:45 pm

Originally, George Lucas wanted to do THREE Star Wars trilogies, with the third one having Hans' and Leia's children with Luke acting as an Obi-Wan figure for them. It sounds like an interesting thing to do, but judging by what Lucas did to his Indiana Jones franchise I'm not so sure about this...

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2012, 5:25 pm

TheNexus18 wrote

Quote:
Originally, George Lucas wanted to do THREE Star Wars trilogies, with the third one having Hans' and Leia's children with Luke acting as an Obi-Wan figure for them. It sounds like an interesting thing to do, but judging by what Lucas did to his Indiana Jones franchise I'm not so sure about this...

Yes but I don't think Lucas is involved because he sold Lucasfilm LTD to Disney.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2012, 7:19 pm

tb86 wrote:
TheNexus18 wrote

Quote:

Yes but I don't think Lucas is involved because he sold Lucasfilm LTD to Disney.

He doesn't have to be involved. Disney bought the story treatments of those films from Lucas when they bought Lucasfilm. Also, George Lucas has been quoted as saying that he even discussed the stories with Kathy Kennedy before he sold Lucasfilm to Disney (the new films have been planned for a year already).

JRR
Toucan
Toucan

25 Nov 2012, 8:31 pm

None of my answers are there. I'd say "likely not" as just because Lucas isn't involved, doesn't mean it'll have originality like 4,5 and 6 had. You're literally going with the kids of Luke, Leia and Han Solo, etc - over the same places, same locales, etc. And, part of what made it great was the whole "discovery" aspect of the whole thing. Treading over same ground isn't going to be that interesting. I'd rather a new sci-fi thing as epic and yet original as they were first time around, than that. But, money's to be made, so here we go...

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 3:40 am

IGN Movies article on Kathleen Kennedy.

An interesting read, and one that should give some people a little more faith in this venture. I still am optimistic about this, Disney has done right by Marvel since buying them, and with a clearly talented individual now president of Lucasfilm, I expect Disney to give them equal treatment.

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 4:23 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJlbPXZEpRE

I laughed. Figured some of you would get kick out of this as well.

edit: For some reason the youtube tag isn't working, so no embedded video right now.

HereBeDragons
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2012, 8:32 pm

tb86 wrote:
But maybe it'll be like Avatar the Last Airbender which lasted 3 seasons and the good guys defeat the bad guys and everything is happy in the end, but then there's this new show The Legend of Korra which I haven't seen yet because Nickelodeon hasn't shown it yet but I heard it's suppose to be good.

I hate to tell you this, but they already showed the first season last . . . summer, if I remember rightly. Odd thing is they haven't shown any reruns. Hoping they do, as I missed the season finale (DVD recorder got screwed up! :x ).

Back to Star Wars: this is very unusual for me, seeing all these "I hate the prequels" statements. In no way am I arguing with them, everyone's entitled to their opinion. It's just weird for me, as I come from a very dull corner of the world where everyone is one of two casts: those who have not seen the prequels, and those who have seen the prequels and love them (myself include).
Gotta get out into the world more.

vk2goh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Dec 2012, 2:54 am

I hope george lucas doesn't butcher the movies like he did with episodes 1 to 3