4. HAL 9000
5. Catwoman

bluerobot
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Jun 2013, 7:41 pm

- Blackheart
- Galactus
- Neuromancer (from the SF novel of the same name)
- The Puppet Master (Ghost in the Shell)
- Desty Nova (Battle Angel Alita)
- Exdeath (FFV)
- Femto (Berserk)

AlanSmithee
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jun 2013, 11:19 am

A more recent example is Ian Doyle from the 2011 episodes of Criminal Minds, mostly due to his death scene.

Additionally, there is Chouji Suitengu from the Speed Grapher anime; he only covets all that money and influence just so he can destroy it all and force the global economy to start fresh from scratch, as revenge for what the corrupt elite did to his family and childhood (he succeeds, but chooses to die in the explosion in the process, but not before paying his most loyal followers with enough gold to leave them set for life (most of them choose to stay behind with him, forfeiting their shares to the few who decide to escape; however, said survivors vow to build skyscrapers in honor of their deceased colleagues and boss)).

Curunir
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jun 2013, 7:18 pm

Emperor Palpatine - Had the vision of ruling the galaxy. Sith Lords aren't evil, They want to free the Galaxy from the oppressing reign and arrogance of the Jedi, Palpatine is the good guy.

Saruman the White - Wanted to industrialise middle earth and progress it "The old world will burn in the fires of industry". Saruman was never evil, nor good. He had good intentions in mind, but carried them out in evil ways.

ApocalypticHavoc
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jun 2013, 11:54 pm

Curunir wrote:
Emperor Palpatine - Had the vision of ruling the galaxy. Sith Lords aren't evil, They want to free the Galaxy from the oppressing reign and arrogance of the Jedi, Palpatine is the good guy.

I do agree somewhat, but don't forget all his talk about hatred, combined with how he smiled when he told Anakin/Darth Vader that Padme died (NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!). That, and how he was torturing Luke in Return of the Jedi.

As for me, definitely Hannibal Lecter. Seems pretty laid-back and down to earth (and brilliant) for a serial killer.

Draka
Raven
Raven

28 Jul 2013, 11:23 am

Magneto
Loki from Thor and The Avengers
Khan

The general types of villain I'm most sympathetic towards are the loser who keeps on losing and the person who's just trying to help others.

salad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 3:19 am

macbeth and tai lung definitely are the quintessential sympathetic villains

salad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 3:20 am

ModusPonens wrote:
Nagato (aka Pain), from Naruto.

best answer. after mine of course :D

newageretrohippie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 10:43 pm

Nagato/pain from Naruto Shippuden
Regina/Wicked Queen from Once Upon A Time
Gold/Rumplestiltskin from Once Upon A Time
Erik Lensherr/Magneto
Ransik from Power Rangers Time Force
Deker from Power Rangers Samurai
Fuwa Juuzo from Samurai Sentai Shinkenger ( infinitely better than Samurai )
Mona Vanderwaal from Pretty Little Liars
Cole Turner from Charmed ( at first anyways....eventually he just became annoying )
Davis Bloome/Doomsday from Smallville
the Smallville version of Lex Luthor
Karai from TMNT ( particularly the new CGI series. She has to be Splinter's daughter.... )
Amon from Legend of Korra
Ice King from Adventure Time
Phantasm from Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

...would Ralph from Wreck It Ralph count, since he was technically the villain of his game? ( "Just because you are bad guy doesn't mean you are bad guy" )

DinoMongoosePenguin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Jan 2017, 2:36 pm

General Zod from Man of Steel: His coup was actually a GOOD idea, albeit a little late. Jor El actually got in the way, though Zod killing Jor El was too far. Zod wanted to save Krypton, and believed that Jor El's method was wrong, as, indeed, as it turns out, Jor El HAD given up on Krypton and the Kryptonian Empire.

Zod also seemed to want to work WITH Kal El/Superman rather than kill him, but Kal said he would have no part it of it, so Zod I believe tried to hold Kal and his girlfriend prisoner at first but they escaped and tried to stop him. Zod believed that terraforming earth was the only way to revive Krypton, and he had been bred his whole life to save Krypton. It was like a brainwashed society (everyone was born pre-programmed to fil a certain role in society. Jor El and Lara broke the law by having Kal the natural way, so that he could choose his own path). Zod even says when his hope of recreating Krypton is ruined "I was born to serve Krypton! You have taken my soul from me!" And also, at the end, Kal El (Superman) seems very sorry that he had to kill Zod.

I also feel sorry for most of the Spiderman villains (except Venom, and, to a lesser extent, Norman Osborne). I feel most sorry for Flint Marko/Sandman, Max Dilon/Electro, and Harry Osborne (Green Goblin). Electro though, I feel the most sorry for, because he was ignored most of his whole life, got betrayed by Oscorp, it seemed, in his mind, that his hero Spiderman had double crossed him, and then he got locked up and experimented on. What he did to the city of New York was bad, but his lines of "Now everyone will experience what it's like to live in my world: a world without mercy, a world without power." just made me feel sorry for the guy.

Also, I felt sorry for Laurence in The Princess and the Frog. He wouldn't have gone bad had not Prince Naveen so horribly mistreated him, and even after he goes bad, it's clear that Facilier is just using him as a pawn (He even says they'll offer to split their takings for the evil plan 40% Laurence, 60% Faciler).

Also, I feel a tiny bit sorry for Mother Gothel. Her plans mainly were to keep herself alive, and losing that flower would have literally been the death of her, so she kidnapped Rapunzel, and she only attacked Flynn Ryder because he was coming to help Rapunzel escape, which also would have led to the death of her. She actually was willing to let Rapunzel heal Flynn in exchange for Rapunzel going with her quietly.

Another possible sympathetic villain could be, depending on one crucial fact, Zira from Lion King II. It would depend if she knew that the hyenas were the actual ones to kill Scar or not. If she did know, she's pretty nasty, deceiving Kovu like that and all. If she didn't, then think what it must have looked like to her:

1.) Mufasa is dead and Simba is believed to be dead too (why nobody asked for Simba's body is a mystery). Scar became king.

2.) Years later, Simba suddenly comes back and actually CONFESSES to having a role in Mufasa's death.

3.) Simba suddenly attacks Scar and demands that Scar confess that he killed Mufasa.

4.) After the fight between Scar and Simba, if Zira didn't see the hyenas kill Scar, then it would appear to her that either Simba pushed Scar into the fire or else Scar died from the fall.

5.) Simba then banished Scar's supporters, including Zira.

So, from her perspective, it may appear that Simba had a role in his father's death, ran away, came back when he was older, forced Scar to make a false confession, than had Scar killed, stole the throne, and kicked out the supporters of Scar, the true king.

At the end, Zira even chooses her own death, rather than get help from her enemies. (Another thing that makes me feel sorry for her.)

Another sympathetic character in Lion King II was Zira's son, Nunca. He was practically ignored by Zira, who kept doting on Kovu. It was only after Nunca's accidental death that Zira appeared to care for Nunca.

PIgeek
Raven
Raven

03 Jan 2017, 3:18 pm

Roy Batty
James Moriarty (just on BBC Sherlock)
Severus Piton (if you consider him a villain)

and the white knight is talking backwards
and the red queen is off with her head
remember what the dormouse said
feed your head, feed your head"

White rabbit -
Jefferson Airplane

Quiet Water
Raven
Raven

03 Jan 2017, 6:58 pm

Misslizard wrote:
...Dragons

Lung Tien Lien, from the Temeraire series, was a Celestial Dragon and therefore expected to spend her life alongside a companion from China's Imperial family. However, she was also born albino - a funeral color, so no one of appropriate rank wanted to be near a dragon who looked like a giant death omen. She threw herself into scholarship and outdid every dragon and human in her year's Imperial civil service exams trying to prove her worth, to no effect until a minor prince who figured he had no chance at the throne himself and therefore nothing to lose finally accepted the unlucky but brilliant Lien. Prince Yongxing himself turned out to be a villain I had no sympathy for, but he did seem to genuinely care for Lien and she loved her human right back - enough to fight on his behalf, the resulting dragon duel causing structural damage that ends up killing Yongxing. Rather than blame him for setting in motion the events leading to his death, of course she blamed the dragon she fought and that dragon's chosen human companion... thus starting her turn as a villain both more sympathetic and more effective than he ever could have been.

T.cheloniformis
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Jan 2017, 7:59 pm

I'd say Magneto, specifically the one portrayed in the 2000 X-Men film.

All he desires is social equality, and I pretty much agree with his belief that such things might not come without some 'dramatic' changes.

He's not looking for infinite power or money or anything. He just wants the right to live his life like anyone else.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2017, 12:07 am

Director Orson Kerrek in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. While as the director of the original Death Star's construction, he suddenly finds the rug - and the command of the station - ripped out from under him by Governor Tarkin, after all those years of work. As despicable as he is, it's not hard to sympathize with his sense of an injustice being inflicted on him.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2017, 12:08 pm

Armand just wanted gay vampire sex.

Bowie only wanted to steal a baby.

Voldemort just wanted to be Harrys mate.

Cersei just wants her offspring to not die for once.

EnigmaticDrScully
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Jan 2017, 1:37 pm

Magneto hands down.